Votes: 44 17.7%
  • lich

Votes: 67 27.0%
  • I like polls

Votes: 58 23.4%

ThirdWizard

First Post
gizmo33 said:
Yea, or so a cultist of Vecna would have you believe! :) In fact these are the same great minds that invented the dire flail, so clearly they were just trying to get good heroes to kill themselves with comically implausible weapons so that they could take over the world.

What do you mean? The dire flail is a historically accurate weapon. They don't come more historically accurate than that. To get more historically accurate, you would have to go back in time, stick another flail head on the thing, and call it an überflail.

ioun_stone

First Post
the head of Vecna

Then there's always the story of the Head of Vecna, in which a group of adventurers fabricated a tale of this "artifact", and created a false item of a dessicated head missing an eye. A rival group (the target of the first group's elaborate lie) went in search of this fabled item, found it, and then squabbled over who would most benefit. Finally, it was determined that the mage would most benefit. So, they chopped off the mage's head, squabbled a bit more, then placed the Head of Vecna on him. Nothing happened, of course. The group again fell to squabbling, and decided they had simply waited too long between chopping off the mage's head and placing the HoV on his body. So, they chopped off the cleric's head, and quickly placed the HoV on. Again, of course nothing happened. Brilliant.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Piratecat said:
Great. Now I want the dingle of Vecna.

Thanks. Thanks A LOT.

Any artifact that needs notes regarding how it interacts with a Girdle of Masculinity / Femininity is banned.

Cheers, -- N

gizmo33

First Post
ThirdWizard said:
To get more historically accurate, you would have to go back in time, stick another flail head on the thing, and call it an überflail.

Ah, the dreaded überflail, precourser to the fabled zwanzig, a 20-headed flail-shuriken that was the holy symbol for the historical Vecna. Kas wound up killing Vecna because Vecna ordered him to take Weapon Focus in the zwanzig, which was considered a death sentence in those days. Sad story.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Lich. He brings nothing interesting to the table as a god that other gods don't do better. The whole ascension of Vecna is great -- if it was a book. It wasn't, it was some adventures my players never even got to play, so his story isn't in the least bit interesting.

As an uberlich with relics floating around out there, though, that's different and cool and iconic.

I've appropriated whatever tiny scraps of interesting stuff there are about the immortal Vecna (i.e. not the unbelievably awful Hand and Eye golems) and grafted them onto Kran, from the Ptolus setting.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
He's way too famous for a god of secrets. The god of secrets' name shouldn't even be known except by the inner circle of the highest of high priests. A legendary boogeyman as a god of secrets is ridiculous.

What next, Elvis the God of Subtlety?

Ripzerai

Explorer
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
He's way too famous for a god of secrets.

Who says he's famous? In-character, I mean. On Oerth, the existence of his empire and Keoland's early complicity with it is one of the most hidden of state secrets - the Order of the Silent Ones and the Knights of the March were both founded to erase knowledge of Vecna.

Out of character, the fact that his name is well-known is only a plus. What means more to a player: Vecna, god of secrets, or Fthemx, god of secrets?

Last edited:

Remove ads