D&D 5E Vecna Pop and 2022

FormerLurker

Adventurer
Funko has been doing D&D Pops for a couple years now, and next February they're doing Vecna.

Funko-POP-And-Die-Dungeons-and-Dragons-Vecna-Vinyl-Figure-GameStop-Exclusive.jpg

Available at GameStop.

It's a very different look for Vecna, who previously appeared less... Thanos.

Vecna,_as_portrayed_in_3rd_Edition.jpg
Vecna.png

He was most recently found on a Magic the Gathering token:

Vecna-Token-Adventures-in-the-Forgotten-Realms-MtG-Art.jpg

There's some similarities between the MtG Vecna and the Pop Vecna, but also a lot of differences.

It's interesting that they not only chose to redesign Vecna but also opted to use him over a more featured lich, like Acererak, who is on the cover of the DMG and was featured in Tomb of Annihilation. Vecna might have won out because he was featured in Critical Role, which is somewhat popular. But redesigning him still feels like an odd move, since WotC would have supplied reference art to Funko.
Why commission new art rather than go with the MtG look?

Maybe Vecna will be featured prominently in 2022. Perhaps in the summer tentpole adventure. Or even Call of the Netherdeep.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Funko has been doing D&D Pops for a couple years now, and next February they're doing Vecna.

View attachment 147994
Available at GameStop.

It's a very different look for Vecna, who previously appeared less... Thanos.

View attachment 147995 View attachment 147996

He was most recently found on a Magic the Gathering token:

View attachment 147997

There's some similarities between the MtG Vecna and the Pop Vecna, but also a lot of differences.

It's interesting that they not only chose to redesign Vecna but also opted to use him over a more featured lich, like Acererak, who is on the cover of the DMG and was featured in Tomb of Annihilation. Vecna might have won out because he was featured in Critical Role, which is somewhat popular. But redesigning him still feels like an odd move, since WotC would have supplied reference art to Funko.

Maybe Vecna will be featured prominently in 2022. Perhaps in the summer tentpole adventure. Or even Call of the Netherdeep.
it could be that way or maybe something else.

I'm old, I had to go figure out what a Pop! was. Not that I understand the appeal, but now I know what they are...
I think their main selling point is that Funko can somehow get the rights to make Pops of damn near everything under the sun. If you want a collectible from some media franchise that doesn't have much in the way of merch there's probably a Pop for it.

As for the design for Vecna used for the Pop, at leas it's not as sudden and significant a departure as Zariel between Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus:

zmtf.PNG

zbgdia.PNG

I mean, I like the newer one better, but I wonder why there was such a radical change so quickly? She's even missing a hand now.

Acererak is mostly associated with green devil imagery, which is not part of his personal appearance. So his POP! wouldn't really look like anything in particular. Larloch has the same problem, since he doesn't really have much in the way of defining imagery besides buckets of ioun stones.

Though, there's not much to the Hand and Eye here except some gold triangles?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
As for the design for Vecna used for the Pop, at leas it's not as sudden and significant a departure as Zariel between Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes and Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus:

zmtf.PNG

zbgdia.PNG
I . . . don't think those are really equivalent. Vecna is well known primarily for his lack of a hand and eyeball. Zariel's features weren't so well known. Both are art changes, yes, but Vecna regaining his lost body pieces seems more notable, IMO.

Remove ads