• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Very experienced groups?

During yesterday's gaming session, I wondered how many total years of experience the players and GM had. We ranged from 36 to 44 years, with a total of about 268-69 between the seven of us. I don't believe this can be any kind of record, but I'd be interested to know how far off the median it is?

was

Adventurer
My current group has only been together for about a year. I'd say the individual average is probably about 10 years of gaming experience.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Our current group has been together about 20 years I think. We all played long before this group met though. Total person years about 30x7 = 210 years? Ish? Some longer than 30 some less, but I don't know the exact numbers.

Last edited:

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I'm in a group that's been playing since the late-nineties, though I only joined in the mid-aughts. I think all of us started in the early-eighties-ish.

My other groups are almost-two years old and about about-half-a-year old.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are you asking in term of person years together as the particular group, or sum total person years game experience?

Are you asking in term of person years together as the particular group, or sum total person years game experience?
Sum total of person-years. The group I was talking about has existed since the early 2000s, although all the participants have been role-playing since the 1970s or 1980s.

The idea of a group which had been together since the 1980s did not occur to me; I've never heard of one lasting that long, nor do I expect experienced players to participate in only one group.

Myself and 1 other player have been playing together for about 13 years. Another for about 12 years. The remaining 4 have been playing in our group for about a decade. So that’s 78 years just playing together in our group between the 7 of us. Myself and the other original member have about a decade more experience outside this group and another player has experience going back to the 80’s, so we’d probably have over 100 years of gaming between us all.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
One group recently downsized 6 (5 players + DM) based around regular attendance, and I have the most, playing for 38-39 years, with the next at least a decade less. I'd estimate <150 people years total.

The other group I've known mostly since college, say around 220-240 years total experience.

Dang. You think we'd be good at it or something.

Remove ads