View From The Rifts: Looking At Palladium's Rifts Role-Playing Game

Every Palladium fan probably knows the story behind 1990's Rifts—following a "small" nuclear war, the world is plunged into over 200 years of utter chaos. Then, dimensional rifts rupture the planet. All over the earth, strange creatures, inter-dimensional beings (D-Bees), cyborgs and aliens walk among men. After that, things get interesting.

Every Palladium fan probably knows the story behind 1990's Rifts—following a "small" nuclear war, the world is plunged into over 200 years of utter chaos. Then, dimensional rifts rupture the planet. All over the earth, strange creatures, inter-dimensional beings (D-Bees), cyborgs and aliens walk among men. After that, things get interesting.

The game starts off strong, introducing the great cataclysm, establishing post-apocalyptic earth as new member of the Palladium Megaverse, the setting in which all Palladium RPGs—including TMNT and Other Strangeness—take place. Players of other games will see some familiar elements here, including alignments and stats.

One of my favorite concepts from other Palladium RPGs—Structural Damage Capacity (SDC)—shows up here as well, with the bonus of mega damage becoming a possibility during game play, mostly because of the insane weaponry available to players in Rifts.

The book details the extreme amount of character classes players may choose from and explains the concept of rifts—portals from other parts of the Megaverse—along with key organizations, politics, weaponry and mechanics for the game.

The rifts themselves are based on the concept of ley lines—straight lines connecting three or more prehistoric or ancient sites, associated with lines of energy and other paranormal phenomena, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. In the game, the rifts are the crossing of two ley lines and the stuff that comes out of these things is insane. As the series progresses, things become even more overpowered and amazing.

World monuments such as Stonehenge and the Nazca Lines in Peru contain their own rifts. In this game, the lost continent of Atlantis returns to earth and each part of the world has its own dystopian existence. It's quite interesting and fun to read about, even if one doesn't get the opportunity to play.

Rifts is complicated, both to GM and play. There is a plethora of character classes from which to choose—from Bio-Wizards to Cyborgs, Dimensional Beings, Psionicist, Dog Boys, Grunts, Juicers, and many more—and character creation takes a long time. To help with this, Palladium released a superb character sheet and a short guide to game mastering, RIFTS Primer – How to Play RIFTS and Create Adventures. Personally, I don't mind the system too much—my GM style plays fast and loose with the rules, for the most part—but to each their own, I suppose.

The classes and concepts are interesting and I particularly like the concept of Techno-Wizardry, which bridges the gap between magic and technology. Separating the myriad of classes into occupations such as Men at Arms, Coalition, Adventurers and Scholars and Practitioners of Magic does make things a bit easier, but it's still quite complicated at its core.

After the core book, Palladium released the first RIFTS Sourcebook, which provided further detail about the world of the post cataclysm earth. It's relatively easy to find, inexpensive and worth picking up for the illustrations alone.

No discussion of Rifts is complete without mentioning the Glitter Boy mech armor. Despite its silly name, the mech armor is one of the few intact pieces of technology that existed before the great cataclysm. In what seems to be a battle suit straight out of the wonderful Robotech RPG and TV series, the suit has a killer giant gun and some unique explanations for its use. The suit even has its own detailed, slightly checkered past, which you can read about in the sourcebook.

Ever the sucker for a massive piece of Mech Armor—I adored Gundam, MechWarrior, Robotech and Teknoman as a kid—the Glitter Boy armor was always one of my favorite things about Rifts. The one and only campaign I ever participated in saw my character playing around with one of these things, only to be horribly swarmed and killed by a gang of ruthless vampires in the Yucatan. Rifts is fun, but brutal.

If you're planning to get into Rifts anytime soon, the Rifts: Ultimate Edition is probably as good a place as any to start. It's the most recently updated and expanded version of the game, readily available at online retailers or directly from Palladium.

Contributed by David J Buck

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

Derren

Hero
One thing you have to say about Rifts is that despite it being the ultimate kitchen sink with everything you can think off being thrown together it works more or less.

rodegoat2000

First Post
I cannot speak to the Palladium release but the Savage Worlds version is quite good. If you find the Palladium mechanics burdensome that may be something for one to look at.

God

Adventurer
Yeah, the original books are great for setting information but, by all that’s holy, don’t inflict the Palladium rules on yourself. Savage Rifts all the way.

One of the biggest sleeper hits, and biggest guilty pleasures no doubt, of the 1990s.

I couldn't ever get into it, to be honest, but the kitchen sink appeal does have merits. It's the same essential appeal for games like GURPS or Mage: The Ascension, but for different reasons.

Derren

Hero
Yeah, the original books are great for setting information but, by all that’s holy, don’t inflict the Palladium rules on yourself. Savage Rifts all the way.

Sadly Savage World has quite a different tone than the Palladium version. Creadible threats in Palladium become just another mook in in SW. It is also not able to support some of the concepts like psionics different from magic or some of the more crazy stuff like teleportation.
While many critizise Palladium Rifts as unbalanced, which it certainly is, I think Savage World has overdone it with the balancing which destroys some of the flair.
Also, I think the claims of unbalance are exaggerated as many GMs expect that everything is balanced with everything like (supposedly) in D&D while Rifts assumes that the GM allows and disallows classes based on the type of campaign he wants to run.
The handling of Megadamage I find better in SW though so that it is possible to play a game with mainly normal damage encounters and a foe that requires MD becomes a big obstacle.

aramis erak

Legend

Palladium's rules aren't really all that bad...
... they're just "not great"...
For the era when the system was developed (per Mechanoids,1979-1981), it was a logical extrapolation from D&D+Sup I. It's applying the concept of thief skills to all skills. The combat is likewise a streamlining - but with a reasonable switch to ascending AC. Not unlike so many new retroclones.

The class approach is often stifling, and characters are pretty much almost identical by class & level. Not unusual for the early 80's.
The lack of social skills is to some a bug, to others a feature.
Damages are calibrated in reference to HP and no personal SDC, but most classes now have at least some pSDC.
the original AR system was pretty good... a roll of 5-AR hits the SDC of the armor, and >AR hits the hit points. A nat 1 always misses.
The dodge/parry/roll defenses are cinematic... but simple to implement in play, and fun, even if they do make combats take longer.
All skills raising whether used or not is a logical flaw, but a simplification used by several other games, like The Arcanum.
Personal SDC is one of those "Feed the Munchkin Impulse"... so is MegaDamage armor, MegaDamage character classes, and classes with inherent access to Mecha without an associated burden of duty to an organization...

Guang

Explorer
The Rifts setting always looked fascinating, but so very complicated. Is there some kind of Great-Wheel-type explanation or chart on how all the places in the supplements fits together?

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
The Rifts setting always looked fascinating, but so very complicated. Is there some kind of Great-Wheel-type explanation or chart on how all the places in the supplements fits together?

If you're interested just get an original Rifts book (cheaper usually) or Ultimate Rifts (more up to date) and they cover the breadth of the setting pretty well. Most later books are either regional guides like Germany or Japan or Australia or metaplot updates like the war updates. I'd say you'll either love or hate the game after reading just the main book and the supplements will just reinforce your initial feelings.

"Every Palladium fan probably knows the story behind 1990's Rifts—following a "small" nuclear war, the world is plunged into over 200 years of utter chaos. Then, dimensional rifts rupture the planet. All over the earth, strange creatures, inter-dimensional beings (D-Bees), cyborgs and aliens walk among men. After that, things get interesting."

Er, not exactly. The nuclear war rapidly expands and during this same war as people die en masse in seconds large amounts of psychic energy are released - large enough to flood the old ley lines criss-crossing the earth and the energy is so great that anywhere they cross a rift tears open and lots of horrible things come swarming through. Death giving large amounts of this energy is a core concept of the setting, from the origin story to why bad guys like to sacrifice living intelligent beings. Super-technology directly causes the introduction of the supernatural and civilization is wrecked almost completely.

"One of my favorite concepts from other Palladium RPGs—Structural Damage Capacity (SDC)—shows up here as well, with the bonus of mega damage becoming a possibility during game play, mostly because of the insane weaponry available to players in Rifts."

SDC plays a pretty small role in most Rifts campaigns. Pretty much every character starts with MDC weapons and armor and can rather easily acquire more once the game begins. MDC is not a bonus or a possibility - it's the standard in every Rifts game I've ever run, played, seen, or heard of, with the exception of one game that started inside Chi-Town.

"Rifts is complicated, both to GM and play."

I would disagree. The game itself is not that complicated, being roughly comparable to second edition D&D. The fact that it has a large number of character options really doesn't matter once you start playing as it doesn't really do multiclassing nor does it have a feat or advantage type system so you're pretty much just running down the list of levels as you advance. Skills are a straight-up percentage chance to do something so there are not a lot of complicating factors there either. By the book, Rifts is pretty straightforward.

If you try to fight the rules, if you try to make them make sense, if you try to turn them into a unified mechanics type of game, then it gets tricky real fast. A lot of us tried to do this over the years and if you can get to something that makes you and your players happy then it can be fun but the simplest answer may be to just let go and stick with the rules as written and only make an adjustment when there is no clear simple answer.

If you really want a coherent ruleset then the Savage Worlds version is defintiely worth a look.

"After the core book, Palladium released the first RIFTS Sourcebook, which provided further detail about the world of the post cataclysm earth. It's relatively easy to find, inexpensive and worth picking up for the illustrations alone."

I don't understand this comment - they released a whole bunch of sourcebooks which cover the main world, other worlds, other dimensions, and even other time periods. There are at least 70 supporting books for Rifts. They even revised and updated that first sourcebook a few years back into a much stronger book. There's a lot of interesting, inspiring art in pretty much any Rifts book.

"If you're planning to get into Rifts anytime soon, the Rifts: Ultimate Edition is probably as good a place as any to start. It's the most recently updated and expanded version of the game, readily available at online retailers or directly from Palladium."

Well it is the current main rulebook for the game so yes. It was published more than a decade ago though which seems like a long time for a core book these days. There's also Rifts for Savage Worlds which was the subject of a pretty big kickstarter in 2016 so we might mention that as well.

This whole article seems like its written by someone who hasn't actually done much with the game

"The one and only campaign I ever participated in saw my character playing around with one of these things, only to be horribly swarmed and killed by a gang of ruthless vampires in the Yucatan. Rifts is fun, but brutal."

Ah - there it is.

The main attractions of Rifts are:

- The setting - which gives a coherent and internally consistent background for an anything-goes campaign (which is probably closest to "post-apocalyptic superheroes" if I had to boil it down to one phrase)

- the character options - which cover just about anything you could think of from dragon hatchling to cyborg to Jedi to superhero to ninja turtle to fireball-tossing fantasy wizard.

What it really takes is a GM that is inspired by the source material to create a game people want to play, probably by focusing in on one aspect of the world:

- You can run it as a location-based campaign of exploring a region and defending your home town.
- You can run an epic quest game with a journey across a world full of hostile and not-so hostile creatures.
- You can run it as a mercenary game where you're just trying to get by and make some money in a world gone mad.
- You can run strangers in a strange land where none of your PC's are actually from Rifts Earth as it is now.
- You can run a war campaign fighting against (or with) the Coalition states or the Vampires of Mexico or Triax and the NGR against the gargoyles.

Deciding what part of the setting you want to explore first can be the toughest choice. North America alone has threats like the Coalition, ARCHIE, the Xiticix, the Splugorth, the Vampires, the Kingdom of Magic, and probably a half dozen-others I am forgetting. Or you can get some power armor and go fight dinosaurs in what's left of Florida.

The rules are not the reason to play the game but they work well enough with some tweaks to suit your group.

I would reiterate that in my experience Rifts either inspires you or repulses you. If you're at all interested then pick up a copy of one of the main rule books and see where you fall. The game's been continuously in print for 27 years with minimal edition changes. That's not luck or an accident. Now with the SW edition out there is a whole 'nother set of options for playing in the Rifts universe.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads