View From The Rifts: Looking At Palladium's Rifts Role-Playing Game

Every Palladium fan probably knows the story behind 1990's Rifts—following a "small" nuclear war, the world is plunged into over 200 years of utter chaos. Then, dimensional rifts rupture the planet. All over the earth, strange creatures, inter-dimensional beings (D-Bees), cyborgs and aliens walk among men. After that, things get interesting.

The game starts off strong, introducing the great cataclysm, establishing post-apocalyptic earth as new member of the Palladium Megaverse, the setting in which all Palladium RPGs—including TMNT and Other Strangeness—take place. Players of other games will see some familiar elements here, including alignments and stats.

One of my favorite concepts from other Palladium RPGs—Structural Damage Capacity (SDC)—shows up here as well, with the bonus of mega damage becoming a possibility during game play, mostly because of the insane weaponry available to players in Rifts.

The book details the extreme amount of character classes players may choose from and explains the concept of rifts—portals from other parts of the Megaverse—along with key organizations, politics, weaponry and mechanics for the game.

The rifts themselves are based on the concept of ley lines—straight lines connecting three or more prehistoric or ancient sites, associated with lines of energy and other paranormal phenomena, according to the Oxford English Dictionary. In the game, the rifts are the crossing of two ley lines and the stuff that comes out of these things is insane. As the series progresses, things become even more overpowered and amazing.

World monuments such as Stonehenge and the Nazca Lines in Peru contain their own rifts. In this game, the lost continent of Atlantis returns to earth and each part of the world has its own dystopian existence. It's quite interesting and fun to read about, even if one doesn't get the opportunity to play.

Rifts is complicated, both to GM and play. There is a plethora of character classes from which to choose—from Bio-Wizards to Cyborgs, Dimensional Beings, Psionicist, Dog Boys, Grunts, Juicers, and many more—and character creation takes a long time. To help with this, Palladium released a superb character sheet and a short guide to game mastering, RIFTS Primer – How to Play RIFTS and Create Adventures. Personally, I don't mind the system too much—my GM style plays fast and loose with the rules, for the most part—but to each their own, I suppose.

The classes and concepts are interesting and I particularly like the concept of Techno-Wizardry, which bridges the gap between magic and technology. Separating the myriad of classes into occupations such as Men at Arms, Coalition, Adventurers and Scholars and Practitioners of Magic does make things a bit easier, but it's still quite complicated at its core.

After the core book, Palladium released the first RIFTS Sourcebook, which provided further detail about the world of the post cataclysm earth. It's relatively easy to find, inexpensive and worth picking up for the illustrations alone.

No discussion of Rifts is complete without mentioning the Glitter Boy mech armor. Despite its silly name, the mech armor is one of the few intact pieces of technology that existed before the great cataclysm. In what seems to be a battle suit straight out of the wonderful Robotech RPG and TV series, the suit has a killer giant gun and some unique explanations for its use. The suit even has its own detailed, slightly checkered past, which you can read about in the sourcebook.

Ever the sucker for a massive piece of Mech Armor—I adored Gundam, MechWarrior, Robotech and Teknoman as a kid—the Glitter Boy armor was always one of my favorite things about Rifts. The one and only campaign I ever participated in saw my character playing around with one of these things, only to be horribly swarmed and killed by a gang of ruthless vampires in the Yucatan. Rifts is fun, but brutal.

If you're planning to get into Rifts anytime soon, the Rifts: Ultimate Edition is probably as good a place as any to start. It's the most recently updated and expanded version of the game, readily available at online retailers or directly from Palladium.

Contributed by David J Buck

David J. Buck

David J. Buck

Von Ether

Legend
Different rules for different folks. I once tweaked Marvel Saga Superheroes to Rift. Combat were epic and quick, but my players hated it. They loved building their characters and then seeing all those bonuses in action.

Dog boys were my favorite, but we always talked about doing demonically possessed mutant animals running around in power armor and the havoc that'd cause.

Guang

Explorer
they released a whole bunch of sourcebooks which cover the main world, other worlds, other dimensions, and even other time periods. There are at least 70 supporting books for Rifts.

This is exactly what my question is about. I've run into a few of those books over the years, and they always left me puzzled as to the underlying structure of Reality According to Rifts. Is there some kind of chart, or even a several-page explanation somewhere that would tie all of these worlds, dimensions, and time periods together into some kind of averarching multiversal structure?

Derren

Hero
This is exactly what my question is about. I've run into a few of those books over the years, and they always left me puzzled as to the underlying structure of Reality According to Rifts. Is there some kind of chart, or even a several-page explanation somewhere that would tie all of these worlds, dimensions, and time periods together into some kind of averarching multiversal structure?

I dont think it is that complicated.
You have Rifts earth wvich has portals to basically every other Palladium setting. In space above Rifts earth is the Mutants in Orbit setting.
For Rifts earth North America is the main setting. But there are setting books for other parts of the world, too like for Germany or Japan. Basically everything declared as World Book is located on earth.
Then you have established links to other dimensions. Wormwood is a strange gunposder level dimension and 3 Galaxies is a full blown SciFi setting. Especially 3 Galaxies got their own line of sourcebooks and can be played without mentioning Rifts earth at all. But those are just 2 of uncountable dimensions and basically elements from every Palladium setting can appear anywhere. You can have Robotech mechs in Rifts or a SciFi exploration party from 3 Galaxies in Palladium fantasy.

The only exception (partially) is Chaos Earth. This setting plays in the past of Rifts earth during the downfall of the original civilization. But no one would really complain if you add time travel into it to have Rifts characters appear in Chaos Earth. And just because the Rifts have just opened it doesnt mean that one doesnt lead to 3 Galaxies for example.

Each setting can be played as standalone or it can be connected to the multiverse.
Currently there is a setting spanning metaplot going on as the war between Demons and Devils spills over into every dimension and thus every setting.

aramis erak

Legend
"Rifts is complicated, both to GM and play."

I would disagree. The game itself is not that complicated, being roughly comparable to second edition D&D. The fact that it has a large number of character options really doesn't matter once you start playing as it doesn't really do multiclassing nor does it have a feat or advantage type system so you're pretty much just running down the list of levels as you advance. Skills are a straight-up percentage chance to do something so there are not a lot of complicating factors there either. By the book, Rifts is pretty straightforward.

FAR simpler than AD&D, either edition.

If you try to fight the rules, if you try to make them make sense, if you try to turn them into a unified mechanics type of game, then it gets tricky real fast. A lot of us tried to do this over the years and if you can get to something that makes you and your players happy then it can be fun but the simplest answer may be to just let go and stick with the rules as written and only make an adjustment when there is no clear simple answer.

Really, I can (but won't) sum up the mechanics on a single page of outline; the mechanics have barely changed since 1984. Sure, lot of new OCCs and RCCs... and a variety of combat skills, and more skills per character... but how those get used? Same. (I really should have my wife sell my originals of The Mechanoids trilogy...)

And, really, as long as you accept that Mr. Siembieda won't mechanically resolve interpersonal actions, saying "talk them out"...

There's: no balance; no interpersonal skills nor rules; great art; lousy layouts; incredible world building; very poor translation of setting to mechanics; and much, much gonzo.

Oh, and Mr. Siembieda is apparently one of the most micromanaging nutjobs in the industry.

Savage Rifts is the first time he's let anyone play with his toys... and from friends, I hear it's a great adaptation... said friends have now sword off Palladium's books for Savage Worlds...

Von Ether

Legend

Honestly, not really. It's almost as if you had Doctor Who without the time travel while also having the ley lines as the TARDIS. The further away you get from Earth, and former NATO countries in particular, the more things go gonzo.

And even then, the status quo is a glut of dimensional portals that allow for more magic and demons to terrorize a post-apocalyptic land filled with high-tech and psionic leftovers. For North Amnerica, ther are nazi's in the center, alien bugs up north and somewhere there is a city where everybody gets along, human and alien, magic and science.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
RIFTS: great setting, lousy mechanics. Fun.

That whole gonzo, balance be damned aspect left a lasting mark on how I view systems to this day. Indeed, while I think it is mechanically superior, 4Ed’s fetishized balance was so annoying to me in no small part due to the fun I had playing & GMing RIFTS, warts and all.

Rifts took balance and erased it from the dictionary. Then assumes a bunch of teenagers would be able to negotiate the process of limiting the variety of classes and not get into hours long arguments as Siembieda left loop hole after loop hole allowing a character to break the GM restrictions. Oh and don’t even calculate your Hit Points and SDC. If your and SDC creature just assume you die if your hit outside of armor. If you focus a lot of effort in maxing out your SDC and HP you might survive being hit by a MD pistol and only if they roll 1 damage.

There is no point to leveling because unless your a mage or psychic you don’t gain anything significant as you level. Classes are completely front loaded. And the bonuses from leveling amount to starting with around +2 to something and maxing level with +5.

There is no AC system. Who ever said that is wrong. It is a flat 8 to punch something and 12 to shoot something. Period. Your superfast character can waste one of his actions to dodge but anytime you make yourself harder to hit you don’t get to attack. The system is essentially a damage trading system. Who ever can through the most damage first wins.

Once you throw out the rules the wold is seeded with lots of fun ideas and concepts and the just plain unexpected.

My favorite and least favorite game ever.

Dan Gill

First Post
I love Rifts tabletop games, While he gets a lot of grief from tabletop players As it's mentioned many many times in all the books just because it's in a book doesn't mean you have to included in your campaign the game's basic setting is fantastic and includes many genres that work well together

I love Rifts tabletop games, While he gets a lot of grief from tabletop players As it's mentioned many many times in all the books just because it's in a book doesn't mean you have to included in your campaign the game's basic setting is fantastic and includes many genres that work well together

The problem isn't so much that a thing is included in the book. The problem occurs when the thing is included in the book and *some* but not *all* of the players want the thing included in the campaign.

If *none* of the players want the thing included in the campaign, that is fine. If *all* of the players want the thing included in the campaign, that is fine.

Otherwise, some sort of discussion, in which *all* of the players need to be satisfied as to the nature of the campaign and which bits are and are not to be included must occur. This isn't just a problem for Rifts.

Von Ether

Legend
I do have to thank that Siembieda got the word out one of the more important Rifts questions.

The answer is "Dead."

The question is "What happens when a Crazy pulls the trigger on his own skull."

Establishing that the GM could ignore hit points when it came to common sense, allowed for cyborgs to speak nicely to Dog Boys who could sneak up and put a vibroblade in their neck joints. The problem is that I don't think Siembieda ever got around to making an essay of this attitude in his core books.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related Articles

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases