D&D 5E Vitality [homebrew] playtest

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
EDIT: updated PDF version (1 page) here.

Our group has been playtesting a modified UA vitality points rule, replacing death saves (as written the UA version appears messy). As a baseline, I only implement homebrew rules if I think they make the game more exciting for everyone and fix a problem.

Goals

Resolve what Hit Points actually represent. Can the human body really survive the bite of a 30,000 pound T-Rex, perhaps more than once? Or are they fully, 100%, a representation of the ability to avoid lethal damage, a mixture of experience, luck, and resilience?
2) Do something interesting with death saves. They don't make sense. When unconscious, if someone slits your throat, that's 2 failures, but you could bounce back up on a Natural 20 next round. And then you could get hit down, and back up.
3) Fix "whack a mole"

Vitality Points

Vitality only comes into play when a character hits 0 hit points at which point the player opts to become Unconscious or Staggered. The rules on hit points are unchanged.

A character's Vitality is equal to their starting hit points.
This never changes unless your CON modifier changes. This represents the actual physical damage you can survive. A dagger to the heart is going to kill a 10th level human just as well as a 1st level one. The 10th level one has just gotten better at avoiding the lethal hit, not better at "soaking" up hits by giant's clubs, dragon's teeth, etc.

Any damage taken after 0 hit points is taken off Vitality. If you're out of Vitality, you're dead. The rules on reaching 0 hp are unchanged. The extra damage that brought you to 0 hp is ignored unless it instantly killed you. If you have even 1 hit point, Vitality does not come into play.

At 0 hit points, the player, unless knocked unconscious on purpose by the enemy, chooses whether to go Unconscious or become Staggered.

Unconscious.
Make a Death Save or while unconscious you take 1 Vitality damage at the start of your turns until stabilized. A natural 1 and you take 1d4 instead. You become conscious if you receive any healing at all because you'll gain hit points.

Staggered.
A condition when you're at 0 hit points where you can take 1 Action on your turn, no movement (you must use a Dash Action to move). Anything you do is with Disadvantage; any saves enemies make from your abilities are made with Advantage. Gain 1 Death Point. At 3 Death Points, you die. An abstract from being on Death's Door too often. Death Points are removed at a rate of 1 per long rest. Any damage taken in this condition goes to Vitality.

Healing Vitality.
Vitality naturally heals at 1 + CON modifier per long rest. It can be magically healed if the character is already at full hit points. Even then, you need potent magic. For every 10 points of magical healing (calculated as if the healing did maximum, so a 2d4+2 Potion of Healing is counted as 10), you heal 1 Vitality Point. Regeneration effects always count as at least minimum 10. You don't round up, so 11 points of healing from a single source only gets you 1 Vitality, and 29 gets you 2.

In Play

This gives players some control, and something to do, at 0 hit points. Given the Death Points system (which solves whack-a-mole), hitting 0 hit points becomes a major deal with risk, so players will gamble if they want to continue to present a viable target. And, at higher levels, avoiding damage is even more paramount because 1 hit from a T-Rex will likely erase all your Vitality and kill you.

In our last session,
a player opted to draw upon her resilience and keep fighting at 0hp. As a Tempest Cleric, she knew if she got hit, she could retaliate with a blast of thunder, and she could, on her turn, perhaps end the battle. We were using variable initiative, so it wasn't a guarantee things would play out in the order she'd want. She has 10 Vitality, so one good hit might kill her, might not, at low levels. In theory-craft, played with the idea of increasing Vitality over time, but that's what hit points are for, and in other systems where DMs tried a version of this, they discouraged it. If we're going to increase Vitality too, we're not addressing our goals. This resembles moreso the AD&D down and dying (-10) rule, as well as the 3rd edition "diehard" feat (keep acting when in negative hit points).

So far, and the sample is only a few months of gaming, I've observed no abuse or problems, but we might see some at higher levels, when that T-Rex example in the spoiler comes into play. But, if you reach 0 hp, you should be on death's door, extremely close to dying, one hit away, not just "sorta there."

I have concern the Unconscious state doesn't alleviate "whack a mole." Healing word for 4 hit points, smashed for 20, extra damage goes away, unconscious. Healing word, smashed for 20 damage.... you get the point. Effectively, whack a mole is allowing us to soak up big hits (beyond 1st level where it might outright kill you).

So, I've thought about Unconscious, perhaps you take 1 point of Vitality damage immediately, then make your save. You don't get Death Points, as normal. That would alleviate whack a mole a bit by providing a negative each time. Anyhow, for those gamers who have the time to crunch and analyze, appreciate any insight into what I might expect down the road.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
This is very cool! I especially like that you clearly lay out your design goals. I think this rules revision will suit your goals very well.

aco175

Legend
I'm not sure how much this would come up in my play. Not many PCs get knocked to 0 as opposed to something negative. I tend to have the monsters focus on other targets that are still attacking them rather than try to kill off the ones that are down. Sometimes a beast or giant insect may try to steal the unconscious body, but most monsters are trying to kill the rest of the party.

I could see something where you are staggered until something negative, maybe 1/4 your HP and then unconscious to negative 1/2 when you die. This might allow the player something to do and make the monsters take notice of someone crawling away from them.

I would be interested to see more.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
To clarify, going to 0hp works as normal; all the excess damage is ignored (unless of course it would've outright killed you rule). Otherwise, it'd be mathematically unusual to land exactly at 0hp, which is what 3rd and Pathfinder had a rarely used rule for. But as I was reviewing our last sessions, one player opted to go Unconscious in battle because of the dislike of Death Points. It sounds weird at first, but it turns control of the narrative over to my players. Do you draw upon those heroic reserves, or collapse (as most would in this situation)? However, as noted, I've realized the Unconscious condition simply is the same, whack a mole still occurs.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Interesting OP. I look forward to your updates. We play a similar variant but your "Vitality" is our "Wounds", but same concept.

Fanaelialae

Legend
It seems reasonably well thought out, but there are two things that jumped out at me.

I'm not sure Death Points serve much of a purpose. I understand in principle that it's to discourage whack a mole, but this requires the PC to go to 0 HP three times (in roughly one day). If a PC is getting reduced to 0 multiple times in a day without blowing through their extremely limited Vitality, something weird is going on IMO. Additionally, no one would ever reasonably choose to take a third DP (since they would immediately die), so that rule is a bit odd. I think the following is more straight-forward conceptually:

Heroic Surge (2 charges)
You can continue fighting after being reduced to 0 HP. You are Staggered. Recover one charge of Heroic Surge after a long rest.

If the third DP allowed you to make an awesome berserking final strike or something, then I could see a reason for it.

The other thing is that (I suspect) that this will be an option that is rarely utilized at higher levels. Even at low levels there's a very real chance of a single attack reducing you to 0 VP. At high levels, it's virtually guaranteed, since VP are essentially static but damage scales dramatically. It just seems odd to me that high level characters (who if anything ought to be more heroic than their low level counterparts) are less inventivized to choose staggered over unconscious.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Did you ever play Star Wars Sage Edition? That was the into of the d20 Vitality/Wounds system to replace HP and the basis for the UA variant. I loved it and wish they had gone that route for D&D.

Never played it, but always liked the idea.

I have thought sometime about a system where vampire PCs could use a pool of blood points. And also like the shield and the health pools from Fortnite.

Have you seen the system of stamina and hit points by Starfinder?

My idea of health levels is like a subzero pool. The life-drainer powers what steal Con ability score are replaced with losing level of health. If you lose health levels then to be subzero hitpoints is more dangerous and nearest of the ultimate death. Other idea is health levels are like ordinary hit points, but when they are lost, to recover them need more time and/or powerful healing, like consumption of Con ability score by life-drainer undeads' attacks

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases