Voices in the players head. could use some ides from fellow dms

Here is a few line about the characters story line.

shewass presuade to kill here dad in the cult they all wass apart of. but the dadwhantet to get out of the cult when he found out the cult was evil.. the cultleader find out that the dad was trying to leave so they startet to presuadethe daughter ( the players character) that she have to kill here farther theytold here he was a trader. so the voice is here own mind playing here tricks .like the dad want to know why you killed me

i hopeit make sence

myidea is it startet that way. but more and more it will split here up like 2charecarters in 1
sowhat i need help with is some small lines of words that i can hand out to theplayer and see it envole
mythought is like have like a few tables that me the DM can roll on and then tellthe player that . so eks in combat she get shy. or scared or sitting in a inn eating he can get andgry over nothing.

so i wass thinking like some tables to roll on. like 1 table is the mood the character is in. like she is angry then roll on the angry table. and so on

so i like help with ides on voices and tables . i hope to get many ideas from many DM yea even players . maby some have use this before and have good ideas.

thanks in advanced :cool:

aco175

Legend
If I'm reading this right, the PC is the daughter and her father was killed by the cult that the character is part of. The biggest problem is you are trying to affect the player's character. Players control their character and the DM controls everything else. You can describe things and have voices and such, but do not tell the player how their character acts.

For this to work, you need the player to go along with it and want to roleplay this. You can then make a chart about split personalities.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
If I'm reading this right, the PC is the daughter and her father was killed by the cult that the character is part of. The biggest problem is you are trying to affect the player's character. Players control their character and the DM controls everything else. You can describe things and have voices and such, but do not tell the player how their character acts.

For this to work, you need the player to go along with it and want to roleplay this. You can then make a chart about split personalities.
This. If the player wants to come up with charts for random moods swings for their character, cool, but you, as DM, should not be doing this. If you're asked for input, help, but you shouldn't be making the rolls or deciding when to roll. You have enough to do as DM, so players should be playing their characters, not you. This is because it's their job in the game to play their characters, not yours.

Nevvur

Explorer
This. If the player wants to come up with charts for random moods swings for their character, cool, but you, as DM, should not be doing this. If you're asked for input, help, but you shouldn't be making the rolls or deciding when to roll. You have enough to do as DM, so players should be playing their characters, not you. This is because it's their job in the game to play their characters, not yours.

Unless the player wants to relinquish that sort of control to the DM as part of the concept. Otherwise, I agree.

@TheDungeonTomb - I'm not sure tables and charts are the way to go here, assuming you move forward with the idea. It might seem daunting to improvise those voices, but improvisation is a skill, and skills can improve with practice. Might be a little rocky at first, but will probably feel more organic as you adapt.

I'd be a little wary about approaching this from the position of clinical psychology. It can make for a very compelling and 'human' (whatever her race) story if handled well, but dissociative personality disorder is some pretty heavy stuff. Have you done any research into the condition? I'm curious if you and this player have discussed the concept with the rest of the group?

An alternative may be some form of demonic possession. Doesn't have to be a fire and brimstone type fiend, or even have stats. Just an insidious presence voicing the same thoughts you were already planning, only with an infernal rather than internal origin. This thrusts the story firmly back into fantasy land, gives an easy out (via exorcism) if the concept isn't working out in practice, and if it is indeed the player's desire to relinquish control, provides you a plausible inlet.

(edit: also, go play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice right now)

Last edited:

aco175

Legend
I think it would be fun, if a bit silly, to make a list 1 a list of 1d12 races and list 2 1d12 classes. d12 since they never get used and 2 lists for randomness. There will be lots of typecasting with dwarf fighters and elf mages, but a halfling mage or a gnome paladin. I can see getting into something where the big fighter thinks he can no longer weild the 2-handed sword since he is just a 'halfling' or tries to cast spells by grabbing a patch of grass and throwing it at the monster saying "He must be immune to magic".

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
Unless the player wants to relinquish that sort of control to the DM as part of the concept. Otherwise, I agree.

@TheDungeonTomb - I'm not sure tables and charts are the way to go here, assuming you move forward with the idea. It might seem daunting to improvise those voices, but improvisation is a skill, and skills can improve with practice. Might be a little rocky at first, but will probably feel more organic as you adapt.

I'd be a little wary about approaching this from the position of clinical psychology. It can make for a very compelling and 'human' (whatever her race) story if handled well, but dissociative personality disorder is some pretty heavy stuff. Have you done any research into the condition? I'm curious if you and this player have discussed the concept with the rest of the group?

An alternative may be some form of demonic possession. Doesn't have to be a fire and brimstone type fiend, or even have stats. Just an insidious presence voicing the same thoughts you were already planning, only with an infernal rather than internal origin. This thrusts the story firmly back into fantasy land, gives an easy out (via exorcism) if the concept isn't working out in practice, and if it is indeed the player's desire to relinquish control, provides you a plausible inlet.

(edit: also, go play Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice right now)
Nah, DM has a job and it isn't playing the PCs.

I think it would be fun, if a bit silly, to make a list 1 a list of 1d12 races and list 2 1d12 classes. d12 since they never get used and 2 lists for randomness. There will be lots of typecasting with dwarf fighters and elf mages, but a halfling mage or a gnome paladin. I can see getting into something where the big fighter thinks he can no longer weild the 2-handed sword since he is just a 'halfling' or tries to cast spells by grabbing a patch of grass and throwing it at the monster saying "He must be immune to magic".

if you try sometimes, well, you just might find, you get what you need:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?656384-D-amp-D-Character-Choice-Generator

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
The point of the game is to have fun. It's not your place to decide what that looks like at other tables.
Did I? Weird, I missed where I got a gaming policeman's badge and went powermad controlling other people's games. Happens every time, though, despite me saying, "not this time, self!" Alas, I always end up busted back to forum poster offering advice on pretend elf games.

Remove ads