• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Volo's 5e vs Tasha's 5e where do you see 5e heading?

Yaarel

🇮🇱He-Mage
Things like a weapons table works better as a setting, and is easy and flavorful.

For example, Dark Sun lacks metal, so has a special weapons table with alternative weapons.

And once a setting table exists, it can easily port into other settings. For example, a DM might want to use the Dark Sun table to represent a certain Stone Age culture in Forgotten Realms.

For my own viking regional setting, I created a new weapons table that strives to represent the available viking era weapons more accurately.

Setting is the design space for many modules.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
problem being the tens of pages filled with reprinted content from a couple of eberron's books to make the complaint about that book not living up to the hype it got all the more weighty.
Well, that was material that they felt would be more added value than certain other niche modules: there are plenty of people who wanted crunch, but didn't want to buy Eberron or Theros (the reprints are a small percentage of the book).

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I'm sure they would habenif they felt there was a demand.
I'm sure there is enough demand for some of these than

flips book

magic... mushrooms and primal... fruit.

I mean if demand was the main qualifier, the many pdfs and excel sheet of weapon and armor charts of various quality floating around the internet is proof that there is a bunch of demand for these things. Now youcan say "well people have homebrewed it" but that's mark against the demand argument.

If there are so many homebrews and houserules floating around 5 years later, there was enough demand for some of them to fit in a book somewhere.

I might have bought the Theros book if it had a chart of Greek and Macedonian weapons or Hoplite fighting style that applied to spear, javelin, and shield. 15 foot spears?! Shut up and take my money! Hobgoblin Alexander the Great villian here we come! 2 pages of content and an enemy phalanx.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'm sure there is enough demand for some of these than

flips book

magic... mushrooms and primal... fruit.

I mean if demand was the main qualifier, the many pdfs and excel sheet of weapon and armor charts of various quality floating around the internet is proof that there is a bunch of demand for these things. Now youcan say "well people have homebrewed it" but that's mark against the demand argument.

If there are so many homebrews and houserules floating around 5 years later, there was enough demand for some of them to fit in a book somewhere.

I might have bought the Theros book if it had a chart of Greek and Macedonian weapons or Hoplite fighting style that applied to spear, javelin, and shield. 15 foot spears?! Shut up and take my money! Hobgoblin Alexander the Great villian here we come! 2 pages of content and an enemy phalanx.
I would propose that, yes, magic mushrooms and primal fruit have greater market value.

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
Not quite as useful as the name tables in Xanathar's, to most players, I would imagine.
That they put a suggested builds list in for battlemasters (a bad one at that) into TCoE but not a similar one for warlocks suggests they don't have as good a handle on what would be useful as they should.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads