VOLO'S GUIDE Around The Web - The Ultimate Preview Compilation

Folks have been posting photos of their purchases of Volo's Guide to Monsters (out in preferred stores on Friday, and the rest the world on November 15th) around the web. Here's a few posts that I know of - including the table of contents! WotC has shown off tons of the book to various websites over the last few weeks, and I've tracked all of them. Don't miss hags & slithering trackers, goblins, nilbogs, kobolds, hobgoblins, & barghests, flinds, gnolls & yuan-ti, froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Plus, of course, the 10 new monster PC races! The images below courtesy of @GarettKP, @darjr, and Lexjeid on Reddit.

Folks have been posting photos of their purchases of Volo's Guide to Monsters (out in preferred stores on Friday, and the rest the world on November 15th) around the web. Here's a few posts that I know of - including the table of contents! WotC has shown off tons of the book to various websites over the last few weeks, and I've tracked all of them. Don't miss hags & slithering trackers, goblins, nilbogs, kobolds, hobgoblins, & barghests, flinds, gnolls & yuan-ti, froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Plus, of course, the 10 new monster PC races! The images below courtesy of @GarettKP, @darjr, and Lexjeid on Reddit.

CwSKBSSW8AAJ735.jpg

CwSLEQTXgAAMmVe.jpg

CwSLEQXWEAAff77.jpg

IMG_20161102_181327.jpg

CwSLEQVXYAMV8l-.jpg

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Chaosmancer

Legend
Holy Crap, that Fallen Aasmir ability seems to be huge. I'm almost worried about the balance.

So many, many amazing things to discover in this book though. I don't recognize most of these monster names and it has me a little excited.

gyor

Legend
Holy Crap, that Fallen Aasmir ability seems to be huge. I'm almost worried about the balance.

So many, many amazing things to discover in this book though. I don't recognize most of these monster names and it has me a little excited.

Actually I think its the weakest. Radiant is better damage then Necrotic, after that its fear vs. flight vs. 10' radiant damaging aura.

The Aura is great for picking off weak creatures surrounding you, and boost your damage. Flight is, well flight, I don't think that needs explaination why that is good (it doesn't violate AL rules on flight either as it doesn't kick in till level 3.)

The Fallen Angel reminds me abit of the Valkyries from Lost Girl.

gyor

Legend
Parts of the fluff are iffy and don't fit with the little bit of info in the SCAG, were most Aasimar aren't all connected to Mount Celestia, in fact most are descended from Mulhorandi/Untherite Gods and their servants, with a minor descended from other celestials, or are Incarnated Devas.

Still only a slight background adjustment, replace Angellic Guides with Mulhorandi Gods.

flametitan

Explorer
Parts of the fluff are iffy and don't fit with the little bit of info in the SCAG, were most Aasimar aren't all connected to Mount Celestia, in fact most are descended from Mulhorandi/Untherite Gods and their servants, with a minor descended from other celestials, or are Incarnated Devas.

Still only a slight background adjustment, replace Angellic Guides with Mulhorandi Gods.

An alternative might also be to say the DMG aasimar represents "when a human and an angel love each other very much" while the Volo Aasimar represents a being that was created in a more "planned" divine intervention, and thus was either sent to the Material Plane as a child or created in a virgin Birth.

E

Elderbrain

Is there a Paladin NPC stat block? I see something called a "Champion" listed and am wondering if anyone can confirm/deny that it is a Paladin (I suppose it could be a Fighter).

An alternative might also be to say the DMG aasimar represents "when a human and an angel love each other very much" while the Volo Aasimar represents a being that was created in a more "planned" divine intervention, and thus was either sent to the Material Plane as a child or created in a virgin Birth.

So Jesus was an Aasimar? ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads