VOLO'S GUIDE Around The Web - The Ultimate Preview Compilation

Folks have been posting photos of their purchases of Volo's Guide to Monsters (out in preferred stores on Friday, and the rest the world on November 15th) around the web. Here's a few posts that I know of - including the table of contents! WotC has shown off tons of the book to various websites over the last few weeks, and I've tracked all of them. Don't miss hags & slithering trackers, goblins, nilbogs, kobolds, hobgoblins, & barghests, flinds, gnolls & yuan-ti, froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Plus, of course, the 10 new monster PC races! The images below courtesy of @GarettKP, @darjr, and Lexjeid on Reddit.

Folks have been posting photos of their purchases of Volo's Guide to Monsters (out in preferred stores on Friday, and the rest the world on November 15th) around the web. Here's a few posts that I know of - including the table of contents! WotC has shown off tons of the book to various websites over the last few weeks, and I've tracked all of them. Don't miss hags & slithering trackers, goblins, nilbogs, kobolds, hobgoblins, & barghests, flinds, gnolls & yuan-ti, froghemoth, giants and orcs, mindflayers and beholders, fire giant dreadnoughts, giant lore, and the book's preface. Plus, of course, the 10 new monster PC races! The images below courtesy of @GarettKP, @darjr, and Lexjeid on Reddit.

CwSKBSSW8AAJ735.jpg

CwSLEQTXgAAMmVe.jpg

CwSLEQXWEAAff77.jpg

IMG_20161102_181327.jpg

CwSLEQVXYAMV8l-.jpg

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

ferratus

Adventurer
The Triton is OUTRAGEOUS! I think I will call my first adventure "The time I made too many Batman Brave and the Bold references!"

Seriously though, water control magic and telepathy with sea creatures. Now combine it with a 4 elements monk (water only) and you've got D&D Aquaman!

gyor

Legend
An alternative might also be to say the DMG aasimar represents "when a human and an angel love each other very much" while the Volo Aasimar represents a being that was created in a more "planned" divine intervention, and thus was either sent to the Material Plane as a child or created in a virgin Birth.

It doesn't say any of that, it says they're descended from humans with a spark of the divine from mount celestia, so they are still born from sex, in fact it vaguely hints at the traditional origin, I just don't like that they're tried to mount celestia for some reason. Even Aasimon, Angels, aren't strictly tied to mount celestia, even though they are Lawful Good, they can serve Chaotic Good Deities even, they're alignment being no impedient to this.

Seyzar

First Post
If there is a kind man, who already has a Volo's guide to monsters, can you photo\scan or somehow else send me stats of yuan-ti adventurer? I can't wait to recieve my own book, but to wait till 18...its soooo long, I just need yuan-ti! ^____^=

Kyvin

Explorer
Cha+2, Int +1, Medium, 30 speed, Darkvision 60, Magic Resistance on all saving throws, poison immune, Speak Common, abyssal, Draconic, Innate knowledge of Poison Spray cantrip, unlimited animal friendship (but only on snakes), Suggestion 1x/long rest once 3rd level, uses charisma.

gyor

Legend
Cha+2, Int +1, Medium, 30 speed, Darkvision 60, Magic Resistance on all saving throws, poison immune, Speak Common, abyssal, Draconic, Innate knowledge of Poison Spray cantrip, unlimited animal friendship (but only on snakes), Suggestion 1x/long rest once 3rd level, uses charisma.

People have suggested its over powered, but poison spray is the least useful cantrip, poison damage is the most resisted type of damage, and its range is 10 feet, the only thing in its favour is the D12 die it uses. Animal Friendship at will sounds good, till you realize it only works on snakes. How often will this be used, maybe once or twice in an entire campaign. Suggestion once a day at 3rd level is cool, but its a consentration spell, which means it can be disupted. Darkvision is common, possessed by Bugbears, Aasimar, Tieflings, Fire Genasi, Goblins, Hobgoblins, Elves, Dwarves, I might have forgotten something. So the key elements is magic resistance and poison immunity, everything else is parlour tricks.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Actually I think its the weakest. Radiant is better damage then Necrotic, after that its fear vs. flight vs. 10' radiant damaging aura.

The Aura is great for picking off weak creatures surrounding you, and boost your damage. Flight is, well flight, I don't think that needs explaination why that is good (it doesn't violate AL rules on flight either as it doesn't kick in till level 3.)

The Fallen Angel reminds me abit of the Valkyries from Lost Girl.

To be fair, when I posted this I had not yet had a chance to see the other 2 subraces.

So I will grant you, out of the three (incredibly powerful options) the Fallen is the weakest (incredibly powerful option)

Remove ads

Remove ads