• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote for your favorite original D&D monster!

What's your favorite original D&D monster?

• Beholder

Votes: 33 20.5%
  • Mind Flayer

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • Gelatinous Cube

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Green Slime

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Carrion Crawler

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Roper

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Owlbear

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Purple Worm

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Umber Hulk

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Piercer

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Stirge

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Displacer Beast

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Rust Monster

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Rot Grub

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Bulette

Votes: 5 3.1%

20 years ago, I used to have my friends 1st level PC's fight Purple Worms. Most died, but most 1st level PC's do anyway...

Those that survived ( I only remember one doing so ) advanced to like 5th level or so.

Kids!

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
yeah, i remember playing in situations like that, only the DM wanted to raise my characters so high in level so fast that we'd fight enemies and get way too much treasure, and get XP for the treasure, and go up a level or two per encounter. ;) silly pre-teens...

Scarbonac

Not An Evil Twin
Mind Flayer, baaaaay-BEE!

Beholder would be a close second, followed by Piercer and Stirge.

I wish that Grell was on the list...

kenjib

First Post
FrankTrollman said:
Well, the Gelatinous Cube is from a Conan story, and the Displacer Beast is from a short story from the forties. Neither one is really an original D&D monster.

And the bulette, rust monster, and umber hulk are from a set of old plastic pre-D&D monster figures that, for some reason, had the word "dinosaurs" on the package.

C-52

First Post
Rutsy

Rusty was the name of our party's pet rustmonster. We also used him in our rust monster breeding program for the added defense of our party's home village Klasglokist (in the high north in Faerun) against orcish hordes (and the occasional rampaging iron golem).

We also had a hippogriff breeding program, giving the other villages concern of our rather large 'attack' force.

Last edited:

Remove ads