• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote for your favorite original D&D monster!

What's your favorite original D&D monster?

• Beholder

Votes: 33 20.5%
  • Mind Flayer

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • Gelatinous Cube

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Green Slime

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Carrion Crawler

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Roper

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Owlbear

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Purple Worm

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Umber Hulk

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Piercer

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Stirge

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Displacer Beast

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Rust Monster

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Rot Grub

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Bulette

Votes: 5 3.1%

Wraith Form

Explorer
I noticed there wasn't a shambling mound--**SIGH**.

Always loved that old "Swamp Thing wannabe".

Had to go with the old Carrion Crawler standby...besides, paralyzing, stinging tentacles on (essentially) giant centipedes are kewl.

Last edited:

Mercule

Adventurer
kenjib said:
And the bulette, rust monster, and umber hulk are from a set of old plastic pre-D&D monster figures that, for some reason, had the word "dinosaurs" on the package.
Y'know, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure I had at least the bulette.

Thresher

First Post
Had to vote for the old Rot Grub as youve left out the wee beastie that used to put any hardcore adventurer on their back gasping, choking and after some time, dead as a maggot.

The Throat Leech.

I had an assassin many years ago who kept them as 'pets' and dropped them into peoples drinks he didnt like, right bastard of a character, hours of fun.

C-52 said:
Rusty was the name of our party's pet rustmonster. We also used him in our rust monster breeding program for the added defense of our party's home village Klasglokist (in the high north in Faerun) against orcish hordes (and the occasional rampaging iron golem).
Did you also have carbon fiber polymer armor and weapons? :D

Honestly, of the "original" D&D monsters, very few were exciting to me. And as FrankTrollman said, some of these aren't even original D&D monsters to begin with.

I also did have little toy bullettes and rust monsters as a kid.

Last edited:

Vaxalon

First Post
Green slime isn't a monster anymore, it's a lowly HAZARD.

I voted for the Mind Flayer, because it's my favorite, but I was really tempted to change my vote because it's no longer OGC. I If Kobold were there, I'd have voted for it.

Go Kobolds!

Ariddrake

First Post
I voted for the owlbear because they are mean sons of b&*^%%s. It torn my party to shreds in keep on borderlands. I want a cute owlbear cub/egg?

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I voted for piercers.

Ya gotta love a creature that 1) makes sense (it is a kind of subterraenean mollusk) and 2) only gets one chance to kill you.

I have used them to great effect.

Remove ads