• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Vote for your favorite original D&D monster!

What's your favorite original D&D monster?

• Beholder

Votes: 33 20.5%
  • Mind Flayer

Votes: 48 29.8%
  • Gelatinous Cube

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Green Slime

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Carrion Crawler

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Roper

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Owlbear

Votes: 8 5.0%
  • Purple Worm

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Umber Hulk

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Piercer

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Stirge

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Displacer Beast

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Rust Monster

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Rot Grub

Votes: 5 3.1%
  • Bulette

Votes: 5 3.1%

pogre

Legend
Bulette

edit: Sorry for the inane reply - there was not a poll when I first posted on the thread. Still how can you not vote for German Hamburger?

Last edited:

Goobermunch

Explorer
Brother Shatterstone said:
I went with the Gelatinous Cube as theirs nothing like having your life threatened by Jello. :cool:

Ah yes, the gelatinous cube . . . a monster bred for the 10'x10' passageways of dungeons. I too voted for the G.C., Gygax's answer to Lovecraft's Shoggoth.

--G

talinthas

First Post
Since Flumph wasnt on the list, i had to go with the monster that has been a giant part of my campaign, the Gelatinous cube. One of the PCs in my game has a mini cube as a familiar. It's name is Smuckers =)

geezerjoe

First Post
I had to go with the rust monster. There's nothing like a monster that can't do a single point of damage but scares the crap outta most adventurers!

Gelatinous Cube, Green Slime, and Rot Grubs rank up there pretty high with me too.

Joe

Li Shenron

Legend
I voted Mind Flayer, since it's the only one IMHO that you can write something about, or even have a whole campaign evolve around a single one as a villain or a whole group.

Every other monster in the list is somehow disposable dungeon junk :D Well, it's useful indeed, it's just that I never managed to do much else with them except a quick fight in the middle of a dungeon (or forest). The beholder is definitely a D&D signature monster, but I never liked too much its computergame-like array of stuff.

Remove ads