D&D General Vote Up A 5e-alike, Part 5: Feats (and a question of levels)

How to do feats?

• No feats

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Feats every 4 levels

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Feats every 2 levels

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Feat schedule varies by class

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Feat at 1st level, in addition to any other feat schedule

Votes: 18 69.2%
  • When you get a feat, you can pick from any of them

Votes: 6 23.1%
  • When you get a feat, you're limited by type (class, skill, ancestry, etc.) a la PF2

Votes: 10 38.5%
  • No half-feats (ability + ASI)

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Only half-feats

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Something else entirely (explain in comments)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Levels: 10

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Levels: 20

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Levels: 30

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Levels: 36

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Levels: None. Turn this into a point-based system!

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Levels: Something else entirely (explain in comments)

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Feats: Both half and full

Votes: 3 11.5%

• Poll closed .

Faolyn

(she/her)
I like feats since 3e, but for a 5e-alike I'd rather go back to the original premise of 5e which was supposed to be that feats are a big deal, therefore I voted "no half-feats".

Everything else, I have no preference.
5e has a fair number of half-feats.

Faolyn

(she/her)
OK, poll closed yesterday. Sorry I didn't get to discussing it further then, but I wasn't feeling great yesterday.

The Winners
Feats at 1st level
Feat schedule depends on your class rather than at a set level like in 5e
Feats have class/level prereqs
No half-feats.
20 levels

From The Comments
There were some interesting comments about having the game be open-ended in terms of levels, along with the idea that each level costs a very predictable amount of XP--1,000 points, or 1,000 x the level to be obtained. There were also ideas about front-loading the abilities, so after a while, what you get primarily when you go up in level are more feats. That would certainly make it far easier to have infinite levels.

There was some contention between people who wanted feats as a separate thing and those who didn't but wanted each level to have a choice of powers, so that not all characters of the same class and level were the same. I think the two can be easily combined: Feats every X levels (depending on class) and class choices on other levels--at least until you reach that point where you stop getting class abilities and only get feats.

The Current State of the Polls can be found here.

So unless there are any other ideas, I will work on a poll for Fighters.

Li Shenron

Legend
I thought the original premise of 5e was that feats were optional, and therefore not a big deal.
Both :)

They wanted them optional since the first iteration in the playtest IIRC, but they also wanted each feat to represent more like an added role or identity rather than a single ability or boost. That's why they were all named as referring to what a character is ("Healer", "Sharpshooter"...) rather than something they have with the feat (as in older editions, e.g. "Power Attack").

Remove ads