D&D 5E Vs Vecna battle simulations.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
POINT OF ORDER/RULING: Vecna is grappled by two PCs (Hjalman and Leon).

My ruling for multiple grapples is when trying to escape you have to roll separately against each creature grappling you. In this case, it would be a kin to having disadvantage since there are two.

I know others have played you make ONE roll against all their roles, but that definitely favors the creature trying to escape.

What are people's thought?
1. Roll vs. each PC or
2. one roll (to rule them all??? ;) )
I would roll for each. It's not a lot of rolls. And it ought be harder to beat two people than one.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I've always hated the feeling of an entire party of PCs vs one evil spellcaster. It always seems like a crowd of bullies gang-beating some poor nerd.

That said...

Malek yelled, "Hold 'im down! Let's burn him good!"

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
So if I use a torch as an improvised weapon (al la Tavern Brawler feat), do I also gain the use of Leon's IDS and/or STR bonus?
Hmmm... interesting. I'll post the relevant info to consider:

1655665982929.png

1655666010094.png

1655666024043.png

1655666041807.png

1655666059615.png

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So if I use a torch as an improvised weapon (al la Tavern Brawler feat), do I also gain the use of Leon's IDS and/or STR bonus?
I think you'd have your choice of using the torch essentially as a club - 1d4+str mod bludgeoning (which Vecna would be immune to) or as a torch, dealing 1 fire and 1d8 radiant IDS.

(To be clear, I don't think you bash someone hard with a torch unless you want to knock the fire out - you put it up to them to set them on fire.)

MarkB

Legend
POINT OF ORDER/RULING: Vecna is grappled by two PCs (Hjalman and Leon).

My ruling for multiple grapples is when trying to escape you have to roll separately against each creature grappling you. In this case, it would be a kin to having disadvantage since there are two.

I know others have played you make ONE roll against all their roles, so which should we do?

What are people's thought?
1. Roll vs. each PC or
2. one roll (to rule them all??? ;) )
Is attempting to break the grapple really Vecna's best move? I'd have thought he'd be better off trying to stab Egar to force concentration checks. If Egar drops antimagic field, he can then use Vile Teleport with everyone at ground zero.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Is attempting to break the grapple really Vecna's best move? I'd have thought he'd be better off trying to stab Egar to force concentration checks. If Egar drops antimagic field, he can then use Vile Teleport with everyone at ground zero.
Meh

Egar can't fail the check.

Vecna rolling a critical with the non-magical dagger would only be 11 damage, so DC is 10, and Egar has +9 CON save, so even a 1 succeeds...

And that doesn't even include the +3 bonus from Leon's Aura of Protection, which is NOT magical... oddly, enough.

MarkB

Legend
Meh

Egar can't fail the check.

Vecna rolling a critical with the non-magical dagger would only be 11 damage, so DC is 10, and Egar has +9 CON save, so even a 1 succeeds...

And that doesn't even include the +3 bonus from Leon's Aura of Protection, which is NOT magical... oddly, enough.
Fair point - I was thinking he'd still get to do the necrotic damage with the dagger, since it's not explicitly made clear that this is due to its magical nature, but it could go either way.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Fair point - I was thinking he'd still get to do the necrotic damage with the dagger, since it's not explicitly made clear that this is due to its magical nature, but it could go either way.
It's a magic weapon, inside the field it is just a normal dagger, nothing more. Even with the necro damage, it will be very unlikely Egar would fail a save.

Now, just attacking Egar for damage to kill him might not be bad, but then Egar just steps back 5 feet and Vecna can't reach him.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Using @MarkB's suggestion, Vecna would not know that Egar can't fail the concentration check, would try to end the Antimagic Field. So...

Vecna's Turn:

1. Vecna stabs at Egar with disadvantage using his dagger, rolling 13,20 + 3 = 16, hitting Egar's AC 10, for 5 piercing damage.
2. Egar rolls against the DC 10 Concentration check, getting 20 (8+9+3), so the spell is still active.
UPDATE: Leon uses his reaction to strike at Vecna (due to Sentinel Feat), but misses, rolling 2,4+9 = 13.
3. Vecna takes his second attack at Egar, rolling 15,13 + 3 = 16, hitting again for another 5 damage.
4. Egar makes his concentration check again, rolling 19 (7+9+3). So, Antimagic Field is still up.

Vecna curses, "You will not defeat me, I will rise again!"

1655669301450.png

It is now Leon's Turn.

Last edited:

Remove ads