Vulnerability to Energy

3d6

Explorer
The SRD said:
Vulnerability to Energy: Some creatures have vulnerability to a certain kind of energy effect (typically either cold or fire). Such a creature takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.
I'm not sure what "normal" damage is in this context. For example, let's say I have a spell that deals 100 cold damage, with a saving throw for half, and I cast this spell against a fire giant. If the fire giant fails it's save, then it takes 150 damage. However, I'm not sure how much damage it takes if it succeeds on the save. Does it take 150 damage or 75 damage?

Creeperman

First Post
No, he takes 100 damage. Multiple multiples are added, not multiplied.

100 damage x (150% vulnerablility - 50% save) = 100 points of damage.

dcollins

Explorer
I bet it's 75. The "save for half" isn't a multiplier, it changes the damage taken in the first place.

And actually, the rules don't specifically talk about multipliers that are fractions in the first place.

Last edited:

Save first, then damage.

Failed save = 100 points normally = 150 points in this case.

Successful save = 50 points normally = 75 points in this case.

Mouseferatu said:
Save first, then damage.

Failed save = 100 points normally = 150 points in this case.

Successful save = 50 points normally = 75 points in this case.
Since multiplication is commutative, it could also be damage first, then save :)

100 X 1.5 = 150 damage.

Failed save: 150 damage
Successful save: 150 X 0.5 = 75 damage

AR

coyote6

Adventurer
I kind of like Creeperman's approach, mainly because it's fewer steps to calculate in my head (3/4ths of some numbers are easy, but there are plenty of numbers where it's a two-step process. 100% is a zero-step process :) ).

Creeperman

First Post
And hey, even if you don't want to buy into adding multiples, you can calculate it like this:

100 damage (normal) x 50% (save) = 50 damage + (100 damage (normal) x 50% (vulnerability)) = 100 damage

RSRD said:
Vulnerability to Energy: Some creatures have vulnerability to a certain kind of energy effect (typically either cold or fire). Such a creature takes half again as much (+50%) damage as normal from the effect, regardless of whether a saving throw is allowed, or if the save is a success or failure.

In other words, he takes 50 extra points of damage in any event, regardless of applicable saves, the success of said saves, or even abilities such as Evasion. The extra damage results directly from his innate vulnerability, and is not subject to reduction or elimination through saving throws.

Remove ads