• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Walking wounded: Anyone else having problems with this power?

Mengu

First Post
I wouldn't start using teleporting monsters just to get around this ability. A better tool would be to use monsters that can stand up as a minor action or as part of another action.

So your affected monster can move as far as he wants to during his turn. At the end of his turn he is knocked down giving the rogue all the bonuses he wants, but then can stand up and run away again quickly.

chitzk0i

Explorer
Yes, that combo works and you should let it work most of the time. I would encourage you to find ways to circumvent the power, but only pull them out from time to time. Let some solos fall victim to it, but give others a way around it.

Doctor Proctor

First Post
Recharges on a 1 or 2? May as well make it an at will.

I'm a player, not a DM, so I'm not real familiar with the recharge mechanic. I thought you had to roll the number to recharge it? Meaning a 1 or 2 would only recharge 1/6 or 1/3 times.

Oh...or does it only go up? Meaning recharge on a 1 or higher? In that case, I would've meant a 5 or 6. Essentially, I was saying to give him some way to teleport about every 3rd round or more. This way, the Rogue won't feel like you totally nerfed his power, but the party will need to stay on their toes when the enemy does actually get his teleport off.

I don't think this power is a big problem unless you are consistanly using lone solo skirmisher types...

I have a rogue PC in my game that has this daily and he has used it to great effect a couple of times. This months session included a 'boss' striker that he pegged with this ability.

In both big fights the use of this ability significantly altered the battle, but that was a good thing. Its not often that the Rogue gets to claim bragging rights to 'winning' the battle.

Each battle still raged on for a while and the other PCs still had a part to play.

Of course, battle #1 he targeted a BBEG's mount, effectively delaying the BBEG's joining the battle and taking the mount mostly out of play. In battle #2 they were facing a Monk whose kip-up ability pretty much negated the lingering effect...and the other striker didn't leave her any time to worry about it.

Diirk

First Post
It depends on group make up. I'm not sure how happy you'd all be if every boss fight devolved into hitting with the daily, then standing 15+ squares away and pelting it with longbows til it died ;)

That being said there's other powers worse than this one. The barbarian level 5 daily that lets them knock something adjacent prone every turn as a free action, with no attack roll... thats pretty annoying.

Lizard

Explorer
It depends on group make up. I'm not sure how happy you'd all be if every boss fight devolved into hitting with the daily, then standing 15+ squares away and pelting it with longbows til it died ;).

Where is it written there must be only one solo monster per day... or that you'll encounter them at the end?

4e is not built on the 'attrition' model of 3e. While I personally like the attrition model for simulating the idea of a long, hard, slog to the final battle, the lack of it also has advantages -- you can hit the PCs with a hard fight first, without worrying it will be a cakewalk. The aquisition of action points over the course of several encounters helps mitigate the loss of dailies, if they were all used first. (Also, in my experience in 4e, different people see different 'best' times to use their dailies -- one in one fight, one in another. Only if the players are SURE this is the last fight of the day will they 'nova' just because they can. And a nasty DM can spring a final ambush on them, so they're always on their toes.)

Dracorat

First Post
I'm a player, not a DM, so I'm not real familiar with the recharge mechanic. I thought you had to roll the number to recharge it? Meaning a 1 or 2 would only recharge 1/6 or 1/3 times.

Oh...or does it only go up? Meaning recharge on a 1 or higher? In that case, I would've meant a 5 or 6. Essentially, I was saying to give him some way to teleport about every 3rd round or more. This way, the Rogue won't feel like you totally nerfed his power, but the party will need to stay on their toes when the enemy does actually get his teleport off.

Recharge actually is the number of rounds till a power can be used again.

So, if you had "Recharge 3" then 3 rounds later it can be used again.

If you had "Recharge 1D6" then you roll a 1D6 to determine the number of rounds until it can be used again.

Totally bad answer. See next.

Last edited:

Lizard

Explorer
Recharge actually is the number of rounds till a power can be used again.

So, if you had "Recharge 3" then 3 rounds later it can be used again.

If you had "Recharge 1D6" then you roll a 1D6 to determine the number of rounds until it can be used again.

If we're talking by the book 4e, this is wrong, unless there's some power in some supplement I don't know about.

First, only monsters have "Recharge" powers.

Second, for each monster which has used a "rechargeable" power, roll 1d6 at the start of their turn. If the result is =>their recharge number, the power becomes available again. They can choose to use it on that turn or not.

Say monster has a power with Recharge 5,6. He uses it. On this next turn, the DM rolls a 4. The monster can't use the power this turn. After that, the DM rolls a 6. The monster can use it now, if he chooses, or any time after that. If he uses it this turn and rolls a 5 next turn, he can use it again.

Dracorat

First Post
Well hell.

I just corroborated your answer with page 7 of the MM.

Thanks. (And sorry - I'll post an edit to my post so as to not confuse.)

Remove ads