• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Walking wounded: Anyone else having problems with this power?

Venport

First Post
Walking Wounded Walking Wounded Rogue Attack 5
You topple your enemy with a crippling blow and force him to
stumble around the battlefield.
Daily ✦ Martial, Weapon
Standard Action Melee or Ranged weapon
Requirement: You must be wielding a crossbow, a light blade,
or a sling.
Target: One creature
Attack: Dexterity vs. Fortitude
Hit: 2[W] + Dexterity modifier damage, and the target is
knocked prone. Until the end of the encounter, if the
target moves more than half its speed in a single action, it
falls prone at the end of its movement.
Miss: Half damage, and the target is not knocked prone.

I've got a rogue in my party who has taken this power, at first i thought not a big deal, however whenever there is a boss fight this is the power that is used on him. Now this is never a problem when the boss is a brute or soldger type, however when they need to be moble it tends to be a big problem, Also this normaly get used with an ablity that slows the target (speed 2) so now my moble Boss type is moving 1 square.

Any sugestions?
Also should this work on somthing that can fly?

Thanks

Doctor Proctor

First Post
I've got a rogue in my party who has taken this power, at first i thought not a big deal, however whenever there is a boss fight this is the power that is used on him. Now this is never a problem when the boss is a brute or soldger type, however when they need to be moble it tends to be a big problem, Also this normaly get used with an ablity that slows the target (speed 2) so now my moble Boss type is moving 1 square.

Any sugestions?

Thanks

Well, first off, this is a Daily...they're supposed to be powerful. Secondly, what would your proposed fix be? Making it not work at all? If the boss is a soldier or brute enemy, then this power loses a lot of effectiveness, so that should be enough to balance it out. If you make it so that the power almost never works, then that won't be very fun for the Rogue at all, will it?

If you're looking for ways around the power over the course of a session, then simply introduce two "bosses" into the adventure. This can be accomplished by two separate characters that are each powerful solos or elites that will require the party to use dailies to defeat them, but placed in separate encounters with no opportunity for an extended rest. Either that, or you could have the boss escape via a teleport or some other means that doesn't involve "movement" per se. Then the players must fight farther into the dungeon to get to him, by which point the effect will have worn off and he will be back up to full power again (and you could perhaps tweak his level either up or down depending on whether the second fight against him should be easier or harder). This way, the Rogue gets to use his power to maximum effectiveness, but doesn't completely own BBEG.

Another thing you could try is to use a teleporting enemy. Teleports aren't really "movement", since you can teleport while prone and it doesn't provoke OA's, so it wouldn't trigger the part of the power that knocks him prone. Throw an enemy like this into the fight, but don't let him know about the teleport ability until after he uses the power. In this scenario, the Rogue will still lock down the BBEG half of the time (since the teleport will probably be a recharging power), but it won't completely destroy their ability move around the battlefield.

Lizard

Explorer

Any sugestions?

Thanks

Uhm... sounds to me like it's WAD. It *should* be used on skirmisher types -- using it on a tank would be stupid. As for flying... I can see the flying creature limping, flapping to get up in the air and then crashing to the ground again, reeling from where the rogue tore its tendon.

This is a Daily; Dailies are supposed to kick serious ass. I don't see this as unbalanced.

As a rule, no matter what a power's description or flavor text reads, if there's no explicit limit in the rules, the power affects all targets. It's best, with 4e, to simply accept that the game effect as described "happened", and then work backwrds to decide HOW it happened and what it looked like.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Any sugestions?

Thanks

Well, it better be a big deal against mobile bosses. If it wasn't, you'd toss that daily in the garbage and select something else. It's not the best daily overall so it better be pretty potent against the right enemy.

Even if you want tougher challenges for the PC, avoid gimping their powers. Especially a power that has limited utility; You can easily go five or six fights without finding an enemy that is suitably tough and mobile to let your daily shine. And you might miss him! If the DM makes the situation even worse by pulling a rabbit out of his hat to gimp the power... Revolutions have started for less. ;)

Just make sure to pack more tough fights in the same day if you want to really challenge them. In that particular instance, you could have them face a tough mobile monster... and then an even tougher one the next fight! Weee!

MrAlgothi

First Post
As others have already stated the power is meant to hamper movement, without that the power has nothing to offer. It is one of the few powers available at that level that can bring a flying target down into melee range, which is extremely helpful for a melee orientated group. It's a Daily, its situational and its rather low damage with no status effect on a miss.

Venport

First Post
As a dm this power has messed with my plans from time to time, For example if i wanted the "boss" to get out to anther room, or something along those lines i really screws with my plans. It’s not that big of a deal, but having a teleporting monster is a great idea.

But I agree it's not over powered and it is a daily so it should piss of the dm

Doctor Proctor

First Post
As a dm this power has messed with my plans from time to time, For example if i wanted the "boss" to get out to anther room, or something along those lines i really screws with my plans. It’s not that big of a deal, but having a teleporting monster is a great idea.

But I agree it's not over powered and it is a daily so it should piss of the dm

Yeah, in that case, you could just handwave the guy a one or two time teleport and attribute it to some kind of item he had. Or better yet, design it that way from the get-go. Even if a monster doesn't normally have it, giving him something that recharges on a 1 or 2 wouldn't be too overpowering but still allow some movement.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
I don't quite understand why your players aren't using it on soldiers and brutes too: if the foe needs to be anywhere, this is a very potent way of stopping them from getting there. If your group gets their act together, it can be used to kill a soldier or brute without letting it enter melee.

That said, I don't think it's too powerful. It just happens to be one of the few dailies that needs to be used tactically instead of just automatically working, and because of that, it fills it's niche very well.

Remove ads