D&D 5E Wandering Monsters 1/15/14: Reinventing the Great Wheel

GSHamster

Adventurer
I wonder why the simplest cosmology is not a reasonable option. Something like:

- Heavens above.
- Hells below.
- "Variants" (Feywild, Shadowfell, Faerie, that one universe with cars and without magic) alongside.
- Require portals/ruptures/dimensional rifts to slip between realities.

I think this covers 90% of what you need a cosmology for, without the "explicitness" of the Great Wheel or any of the other major cosmologies.

Core rules need to be setting neutral.

No such thing. How much damage a sword does is a decision that cuts out many settings, whatever option you pick. From AD&D's nerf-swords where you can flail away for a minute or more to take out the lowliest goblin if you aren't a fighter to GURPS combats being over in seconds.

- Heavens above.
- Hells below.
- "Variants" (Feywild, Shadowfell, Faerie, that one universe with cars and without magic) alongside.

I think this covers 90% of what you need a cosmology for, without the "explicitness" of the Great Wheel or any of the other major cosmologies.

Should I mention that that's close to the 4e cosmology?

dd.stevenson

Super KY
I think a lot of FR fans didn't like 4e realms, but not because of the "cosmology". It's not that the planes didn't work how they wanted, it's that they advanced the time line far into the future, blew up most of what had been established, killed tons of important characters, made the primary authors of the Realms cry and feel like they had no say at all in what happened to the Realms, and essentially created a whole new thing and slapped the FR name on it.

That's not cosmology. I think a lot of people could have swallowed 4e if the Realms had been the same as before, but the ordering of the planes was changed.
Speaking personally, I did not care too much about the cosmology, but the fact that they changed it only reinforced my impression of a management team determined to bulldoze the entire D&D IP to suit their business plan of the hour.

Yaarel

He Mage

- Heavens above.
- Hells below.

It seems ok for core rules to use creature type keywords without implying any plane:

• Celestial/(Outsider)
• Infernal/Fiend/(Outsider)
• Astral
• Fey/Ethereal
• Shade/Shadow
• Natural/Material
• Elemental

Probably most players agree the Planescape Wheel represents a significant minority that cannot be ignored. By extension, especially where core rules are setting-neutral, it is important to ensure it is possible to ‘build’ the Planescape Wheel cosmological setting, seemlessly.

Last edited:

GSHamster

Adventurer
Should I mention that that's close to the 4e cosmology?

I think the mistake 4E makes is the separation is Outer Planes vs Inner Planes. Imo, the Heaven/Hell or Realm of the Gods/Underworld separation is more natural, corresponds to more real world beliefs and mythologies.

Honestly, I think the pure Elemental planes are a mistake, and are not really necessary. Elementals can just be a pure form of that element, they don't necessarily need to be extraplanar creatures. Ifrit/Djinn, etc, can come from a parallel or variant plane.

pemerton

Legend
Alternatively, you define how people see the outer planes in terms of what their particular cultural religion sees them. that way one culture can worship the norse gods and see the meta-world in the way that implies, another can worship the Egyptian pantheor and see the world that way. In which case Set is a part of the world, regardless of whether the Norse recognise him or not.
Glorantha for the win!

In hindsight, when 4e came out, its core rules should have emphasized setting-neutrality, so as not to interfere with ongoing settings and personal campaigns. Its World Axis cosmology with natural Nerath history needed to be a separate optional setting book that came out at the same time as the core rule books did. Players who wanted to explore the new setting with its new cosmology would have purchased the 4e Nerath Setting Guide at the same time as the 4e Players Handbook.
Generalisations are tricky things.

At least in my case, it was Worlds and Monsters that sold me on 4e, and had the game not come with its cosmology and mythic history built in - which for me are such a big part of the game - I might have just not returned to playing D&D.

Tovec

Explorer
There are many issues with 4e that one can argue "drove away a significant percentage of the customer base", but I seriously doubt cosmology is one of them. Most people really don't much care. They either make their own, use one from a prior edition they like anyway, or don't mind what order things go in as long as the basic concepts are covered in the default. I am not aware of anyone who said "I was going to go with 4e over my other choices of games until I read the cosmology, and that was the line I drew in the sand!"

I disagree. Though my objections have already been partially covered I think you miss a significant part. While the concept of the planes, their arrangements and names are really minor in the grand scheme; the problem was the baked-in assumptions made because of those planes. When the base game now assumes tieflings (but not aasimars..?) in the core book and the game gives a very specific relation of where tieflings come from - then that IS cosmology interfering. I liked tieflings, I liked their vague and easily inducted backgrounds that existed pre-4e. As of 4e they got a completely new visual, came from a specific empire in a world that I did not have, had powers relating to that. Were born of Asmodeus (right?) and had other cosmological and setting requirements. The same went for archons, eladrin, evil-metallic dragons and a whole host of changes that they made for the core books to try and let the heroes be super at first level. This turned many of us off when we first started exploring the game. The cosmology itself was really minor, sure. But it hardly stopped there. With the elemental chaos came the elemental-archons. With a feywild came eladrin and fey-gnomes (as monsters, rawr). And there was very little effort to convert pre-4e material into 4e except in the most ham-fisted ways. So, I thoroughly disagree with your statements here Mistwell.

Most people won't invest the effort to change the default, I believe. If they don't like the default, it's much easier just to play a different game or go do something else entirely with their time.

I don't think it's really easy for a good set of D&D core rules to ignore setting altogether. Like, presumably gods grant clerics magical spells enough for the Cleric class to function -- what gods? How do I play the role of a cleric?

You could be setting neutral by saying "whatever you want" at this point. That's a kind of neutrality. Maybe kind of "unaligned" neutrality, opting out of the question entirely. :) I'm not sure that's the most useful, though.

I think a more useful response than "whatever you want" might be: Here's Thor. Here's Paladine. Here's Gond. Here's the Raven Queen. Here's Pelor. Here's a monotheistic-style God of Goodness. Here's the concept of Nature as a source of divine energy. They're all different examples of what gods could be like in your settings. Pick one. Pick all of them! Mix and match. Maybe make a pantheon or two.

Which is a kind of neutrality, right? The elements are designed to not depend on each other. Just because you use Gond might or might not mean you play in FR. The rulebooks don't make an assumption that you're using one particular pantheon or one cohesive world, rather they acknowledge that you might use anyone of a huge galaxy of possibilities (a few of which they present up-front in a way that makes it clear that this is just some ideas).

But rather than a cold neutrality that tries not to take sides, this is a passionate interest in all the sides. Maybe more of an "inclusive" kind of neutrality. Which totally matches how I play D&D. And how I make my own worlds and adventures. I'm stealing plots from Buffy and villains from Breaking Bad and action scenes from Die Hard and dungeons from National Geographic. I'm grabbing houses from Eberron and gods from Norse Myth and cosmologies from the Greeks.
I certainly agree with you here KM, but to a point. I think that it works best if the game is setting agnostic. Or maybe as a multi-setting-theist, or something. I think there is an element of truth here in saying 'Here are some gods, use what you find best.' But I think there is a big problem you are also showing when you talk about this and demons, from a couple pages back. Space.

I've been playing DnD for a number of years now, but I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used ANY demon in an game. Probably the same for any devil or yugoloth or similar fiendish creature. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used all celestial races (excluding eladrin). They just don't come up very often in my games. So, while I think that demons, devils, yugoloths and all manner of outsiders can and should be in the book - I absolutely don't want them spending even more pages devoted to giving me variations on the same bloody creature. The devils, demons, and dragons, and [if pathfinder = familiars, if 3.5 = dinosaurs] already take dozens of pages to explain the base creatures in both 3e and 4e MMs. On top of that you seem to want to add in MORE content to bloat everything. I disagree with that approach.

Instead, I would like to see one base creature. Demons (let's say) are chaotic evil creatures. Try to avoid mentioning where they come from, let people decide that on their own. If you must then mention the abyss as that seems to be the most common origin for them throughout DnD cosmologies. After this, in setting books or further supplements you can introduce the other cosmological demons, from the grey, black, underworld, elemental .. - whatever/where-ever they come from in those settings. That is the job of a setting to have different information. The job of the core book is to present something we can also use, as much as possible.

Same goes for the gods, give us a pantheon, or maybe some major gods of varying pantheons. But I can't see how you can give us full pantheons (many gods) in the core books. It just won't work. Having Thor in the book might make sense, but do you also include Odin, Freya, Frigga, Sif, Loki, valhalla and ragnarok? How about Ra and his cadre? And so on? I don't think you can. It just get's to be too much. They made an entire book called deities and demigods explaining different patheons, as well as rules to stat them out (so you can kill them) and how to make your own. Do that again if you need to. But don't put that in the core books - it is too much information in the right place. Like teaching assault rifle repair in grade school. Learn the basics, enough to run the game; add in some extras so you can customize; then upgrade to 'make your own' in the advanced stages. And you can't do this by giving us all the demons in the first book.

- Heavens above.
- Hells below.

Because that pleases too few people. Some can work with it but it fails to describe the great wheel, any of the major cosmologies, and even the 4e world axis (elemental chaos below, astral sea above). It just doesn't work as a cosmology. It might work for some people, when they make it up (my own cosmology looks similar to that) but as a cosmology for a game system it isn't enough. Just like saying:

Why not have something like:
- Complete monster (evil)
- Complete puritan* (good)

When describing the WOD system. Well you can't because there are mechanical and flavour differences between that and the humanity scale that already exists and is used in that system. Downgrading to a system that barely exists won't suffice. Take a F150 and remove everything except the engine, gas pedal and wheels won't let you be better at racing. It'll get you disqualified.

*for lack of a better word

Glorantha for the win!

Generalisations are tricky things.

At least in my case, it was Worlds and Monsters that sold me on 4e, and had the game not come with its cosmology and mythic history built in - which for me are such a big part of the game - I might have just not returned to playing D&D.
Believe it or not, with all I'm saying about how 4e turned me off with its monsters and cosmology, I was also very impressed with the Worlds and Monsters gimmick. I vividly recall discussing with my friends what implications the new cosmology might have on our homebrew worlds. When we saw the GAME itself that was another matter. Especially with the baked-in godly bits, radically altered monsters, and general complete (cow-slaughtering) upheaval of the game we enjoyed. But still the cosmology stuck with me as something they were doing partially right.

Even now, as I eluded to earlier, my own personal head-canon of cosmology looks a lot more like the 4e model than the great wheel. With that said, I try to keep as much great wheel material valid as possible - something I wish WotC had at least tried to do. As a perhaps foolish prime, though, I just have another view on the planes that makes them work while keeping the existing stuff as untouched as possible. Something I think they are kind of trying to do with 5e, but still in my estimation failing at thus far. We'll see.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Tovec said:
I absolutely don't want them spending even more pages devoted to giving me variations on the same bloody creature

Sure, but that's more about how demons aren't useful to you specifically than a problem with the methodology

What kinds of things the designers want to spend a lot of pages on is kind of a question for a team with better market research data than I have to answer. I can't tell you what would be the best use of space in an MM -- if people want demons or humanoids or dragons or beholders or dinosaurs or familiars or elementals or whatever. I'd imagine for the first monster book you'd like a big diversity of things spanning 20 levels and hitting some of the most iconic creature types. I'd imagine that the more settings the thing appears in, the better chance it has of appearing. Which also means, the better chance it has of having a few variants in with it, to reflect how different settings use it.

This doesn't mean a hugely inflated page count either, though. 2e got away with a little a little variants paragraph in certain monster entries. It doesn't need to be much more than that, and that only needs to appear when there's some strong divergences -- because the monster entries are written to be specific to their setting regardless of the existence of variants, it is already implied that they might not be like this outside of that setting (or, heck, they might be!). Present a Vrock as a Demon from the Abyss who participates in the Blood War, and if that's all the extraplanar monsters your research suggests you need in a game, you're done!

Tovec said:
On top of that you seem to want to add in MORE content to bloat everything. I disagree with that approach.

This variety already exists, I just want a game that acknowledges it and treats it as a strength rather than a game that tries to unify everything under One True X.

Tovec said:
Demons (let's say) are chaotic evil creatures. Try to avoid mentioning where they come from, let people decide that on their own.

That's the "neutrality as avoiding the question" position I outlined. And it poses real problems when you're designing a game -- the first of which for monsters is that it doesn't give anyone any reason to actually use the critter. Okay, there's this thing called a demon and it's CE and there's no reason at all for any DM to give a crap about it. It's ythraks all over again: a lack of material means that there's nothing selling the creature to you. That's especially true in a D&D that takes one of the big improvements from 4e (easy peasy monster generation) and brings it forward: you now have the ability to whip up stats in a few minutes for ANY creature you want. Which means each critter in the MM needs to justify itself even harder as an interesting story, an interesting antagonist, an interesting world element to use.

I mean, it's a fair way to do things, but its weaknesses are pretty huge. If you hope to sell a monster book to people who don't really need monster mechanics (because the e makes it so easy to make those yourself), you're going to want to make sure you have some rich, evocative material in there that encourages DMs who read the book to want to use the creature THIS WEEK.

Tovec said:
Having Thor in the book might make sense, but do you also include Odin, Freya, Frigga, Sif, Loki, valhalla and ragnarok? How about Ra and his cadre? And so on? I don't think you can.

Nah, just Thor. Maybe the Thor description mentions other gods and places (he hates Loki, Odin his is dad, he hangs out in Valhalla) and leaves that open. Maybe a future Deities and Demigods book goes into detail about those elements, maybe its just up to a DM running a Nordic-themed game to do the legwork.

That's the thing about a building block approach: the block itself can be used alone, it can be combined with similar blocks, or it can be used with radically different blocks that nonetheless combine easily ("In this ancient Egytpian setting we're using the Norse gods, and they have animal heads, and also Waterdeep from FR, but with pyramids instead of castles. Also there are ninjas."). It doesn't depend on this complex web of supporting records to function, it just works by itself.

The big idea here is that the game makes no attempt to really reconcile these elements in any True Official Way. And a group that doesn't care about reconciling them doesn't even need to worry about it. And a group that does can pick the World Axis or the Great Ring or whatever and run with it without worrying if Pelor is a true Nordic god or not (he is if you say he is, guys), without worrying if Feywild and Arborea are the same or different (maybe they are, maybe they aren't, you tell me, DM), without having to muck about with choosing broad, flavorless defaults, without bothering themselves with excluding certain players or demoting them to "non-canon" status ("Okay, if you like eladrin in the feywild, that's how it is here").

I think my favorite aspect of this is that it encourages exploration. It always suggests that there's more over the next ridge, just left off because of page count. There's Thor. Maybe there's a Valhalla. Maybe there's an Yggdrasil. Maybe Ymir. Maybe dwarves in the mountains worship him and his hammer. Maybe the plains people where the storms pick up vast speeds and the horse hooves sound like thunder give him homage. It's not defined, jut's just possible...just waiting for someone to explore.

Tovec said:
But don't put that in the core books - it is too much information in the right place. Like teaching assault rifle repair in grade school. Learn the basics, enough to run the game; add in some extras so you can customize; then upgrade to 'make your own' in the advanced stages. And you can't do this by giving us all the demons in the first book.

The issue with this model is that playing D&D and DMing your own fun games isn't something that requires some sort of advanced degree. This is a game about make-believe: literally, 8 year olds should be able to do this. But no one's going to WANT to do it if the game is completely agnostic, refusing to take a side. Rather, I want my game to be polytheistic, to believe absolutely that there's Ra and there's Thor and there's The Silver Flame and there's no reason these can't all be alongside each other in the books, because they've all got awesome things to offer.

Last edited:

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I disagree. Though my objections have already been partially covered I think you miss a significant part. While the concept of the planes, their arrangements and names are really minor in the grand scheme; the problem was the baked-in assumptions made because of those planes. When the base game now assumes tieflings (but not aasimars..?) in the core book and the game gives a very specific relation of where tieflings come from - then that IS cosmology interfering. I liked tieflings, I liked their vague and easily inducted backgrounds that existed pre-4e. As of 4e they got a completely new visual, came from a specific empire in a world that I did not have, had powers relating to that. Were born of Asmodeus (right?) and had other cosmological and setting requirements. The same went for archons, eladrin, evil-metallic dragons and a whole host of changes that they made for the core books to try and let the heroes be super at first level. This turned many of us off when we first started exploring the game. The cosmology itself was really minor, sure. But it hardly stopped there. With the elemental chaos came the elemental-archons. With a feywild came eladrin and fey-gnomes (as monsters, rawr). And there was very little effort to convert pre-4e material into 4e except in the most ham-fisted ways. So, I thoroughly disagree with your statements here Mistwell.

None of that is FROM the cosmology, it was merely linked to it to try and reinforce the cosmology. As you say, the cosmology itself was really minor. If they hadn't added those creatures/races into the core books, it wouldn't have bothered you much I suspect. But, I am pretty darn sure they added those creatures/races first (because their polls said they were popular with players from 3e) and then drew links between those creatures and the new cosmology. But I seriously doubt there was a causal link between those things you object to (and others) and the cosmology. It all seemed like a pretty shallow after-thought type connection.

And I am quite sure the idea that they PCs were heroes at first level did not come from the cosmology. That's definitely an idea they decided on independent of cosmology. You can have weak or strong PCs at first level, regardless of cosmology.

Bottom line - the cosmology itself, which we both agree was a pretty minor issue - is not what drove away significant portions of players. It was other stuff (some of which WOTC tried to try some weak connections to the cosmology), not the cosmology itself.

Shemeska

Adventurer
But, I am pretty darn sure they added those creatures/races first (because their polls said they were popular with players from 3e) and then drew links between those creatures and the new cosmology.

If that had been the case, I seriously doubt they would have radically redefined those creatures the way they did in 4e versus their 1e/2e/3e incarnation.

I suspect it was a larger, focused attempt to remake and brand the game to differentiate 4e from the OGL-linked 3e (and as a result most of D&D's past self).

Remove ads