D&D 5E War cleric and spiritual weapon vs. gwm

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I've never seen array only IRL. You hear about it online I suppose.

If you want to use it knock yourself out.

Not allowing rolling doesn't imply you are only using standard array. Point buy could just as easily be included there and is more often the default for non-rolling games, in my experience.

Zardnaar

Legend
Not allowing rolling doesn't imply you are only using standard array. Point buy could just as easily be included there and is more often the default for non-rolling games, in my experience.

Well you're not running RAW and using an optional rules.

I use table rules explained session 0 so I don't judge. I've banned a few things in game behavior that gets you booted from group go play somewhere else.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Well you're not running RAW and using an optional rules.

You keep repeating that like it actually matters.

I use table rules explained session 0 so I don't judge. I've banned a few things in game behavior that gets you booted from group go play somewhere else.

Yep. Pretty much everyone uses houserules. Some of those houserules are very unique. Some are very common amongst groups. I'm all for calling out a fairly rare or unique houserule as just that. But this laser focus on proving you are right because RAW says, when in reality a great many groups ignore that specific RAW rule you are citing seems a bit misguided, no?

Heck, officially sanctioned play in AL ignores that RAW rule as well - just as an example of how ignored it actually is.

Problem with cleric buff builds is combat often lasts 2-3 rounds.
I don't think that 2-3 rounds observation is anywhere near a universal truth.

In campaigns where combats, typically last 2-3 or even 3-4 rounds, the cost of casting Spiritual Weapon adds up quick, just for 1-2 attacks.

If you have played the Phandalin based adventures from the Starter/Essentials kit, then you will be knowledgable about short length combats. 😜

Homebrew content, tends to run longer,( mine does at least), per encounter, though often with fewer encounters.

The GWM feat seems quite synergistic with a Warpriest Channel Divinity. At some point in their career, a cleric is either going to be out of spells, (or at the minimum spell slots for an Emergency HW or revivify), or perhaps is unable to cast Spiritual Weapon.

GWM + Healer feats, would be the best.

A Warpriest paired with an Artillerist Artificer, would excel with the Temp Hp from the protector arcane cannon. Temp HP help keep concentration checks manageable,( amongst other things).

Zardnaar

Legend
In campaigns where combats, typically last 2-3 or even 3-4 rounds, the cost of casting Spiritual Weapon adds up quick, just for 1-2 attacks.

If you have played the Phandalin based adventures from the Starter/Essentials kit, then you will be knowledgable about short length combats. 😜

Homebrew content, tends to run longer,( mine does at least), per encounter, though often with fewer encounters.

The GWM feat seems quite synergistic with a Warpriest Channel Divinity. At some point in their career, a cleric is either going to be out of spells, (or at the minimum spell slots for an Emergency HW or revivify), or perhaps is unable to cast Spiritual Weapon.

GWM + Healer feats, would be the best.

A Warpriest paired with an Artillerist Artificer, would excel with the Temp Hp from the protector arcane cannon. Temp HP help keep concentration checks manageable,( amongst other things).
Problem is it starts to require a lot of feats.

If you take say warcaster you can play around with spells like spiritual guardians.

The war cleric kinda needs 16/16 but with default array you need to take HAM.

That means 13 con at best. You've made your concentration roll worse.

Healer feat is great on some clerics like light. Frees up all your soelkslits for buffing and blasting. Life cleric can also do something similar.

But yeah something like a death cleric keyed off wisdom can use toll the dead plus smites with spelks like inflict. It they come across undead they can always use spiritual weapon/guardians.

Charisma based Divine Soul splashing death cleric is also fun.

GWM is really only good via multiple attacks. Death Cleric vuman with healer feat doesn't have to mess around with concentration rolls to much.

War cleric to me is failed archetype concept. It has similar problems to bladelock except they made the hexblade to fix that.

Problem is it starts to require a lot of feats.

I didn’t say it would be easy.😇

Oath of Conquest, sorta steals the Warpriest’s thunder in this regard. Sure it is only once per Short Rest, but +10 to hit plus GMW +Smite is the gold standard.

The platinum standard is +10 to hit plus GMW+ Smite+ Arcane Smite.😈

Remove ads