Warforged and the Monk - doable?

reveal

Adventurer
Anti-Sean said:
According to page 38 of the ECS, a warforged monk can use Wholeness of Body "to repair damage he has taken." The warforged racial description on page 23 of the ECS is identical to what reveal quoted above. Now, the nitpicking lies between the usage of 'cure' in the racial description and 'repair' in the class description. I'll leave that one up to folks who are more well versed in parsing rules than myself.

Also, warforged monks are awesome, especially when combined with druid levels, as per one of the main characters in the story in my .sig. *cough cough ahem* :)

Ya, I think by placing the word "repair" they imply that the warforged can heal his own wounds fully.

Klaus said:
4 - Flurry of blows + secondary natural attack = awesome! Flurry of Blows while unarmed at the regular FoB penalty (-2/-1/-0, as the levels progress) and an extra slam at -5.

No, Flurry of Blows + Seconday Natural Attack = Doesn't Work.

You can only use a natural weapon as part of a full attack when you don't flurry, because using flurry limits you to unarmed strikes and special monk weapons. A slam is not a special monk weapon.

reveal

Adventurer
Patryn of Elvenshae said:

You can only use a natural weapon as part of a full attack when you don't flurry, because using flurry limits you to unarmed strikes and special monk weapons. A slam is not a special monk weapon.

Keith Baker pretty much said the same thing.

reveal said:
This is the only point I don't agree with. The monk would only gain half HP from the ability.

I believe that the language in the Races of Eberron book contradicts that which is found in the ECS.

Anyone have the limitation on Warforged healing from the ECS on hand?

reveal

Adventurer
I believe that the language in the Races of Eberron book contradicts that which is found in the ECS.

Anyone have the limitation on Warforged healing from the ECS on hand?

It's already been pointed out that the Monk description in the ECS specifies the warforged monk can repair itself with Wholeness of Body. Since it uses the word "repair" I assume they mean that the warforged monk gets the full benefit of the ability.

ARandomGod

First Post
Doable? Not only doable, but arguably the best race for a monk in the game.

A WF Monk gets full healing from Laying on of Hands. It specifically says so.
The "normal" armor of the WF doesn't interfere in any way. It specifically says so.

(Adamantine or Mithril body, on the other hand, do interfere).

The Battlefist. ... A weapon that can be used with flurry and grants enhancement to natural attacks at the cost of weapon enhancements, PLUS it grants you a virtual Improved Natural Attack feat! It also adds slashing to your damage.

There is some debate as to whether you can "intermix" flurry and nat attacks... Flurry gets badmouthed a lot, but it's functionally similiar to TWF< and IMO should be treated the same (although in certain circumstances it can stack... like a circumstance where you have a weapon, can you say Battlefist?) And you should be able to get your natural attack after your BAB based attacks, as given in the rules for intermixing the two (nat attack(s) cound as secondary weapons, -5 to hit and .05X str to damage).

There's the counterarguement to my interpretation, I use the same language to say that you indeed can only flurry with your unarmed strikes and special monk weapons, and you can add in TWF with non-unarmed strikes as given in the rules, and you can add on natural attacks as well, using the rules given for doing so (rules that do not meantion flurry, of course).

Anyhow, that particular interaction is debated (and not just by me, ~_^ ) But as for the rest, WF is one of the best races for Monk hands down! Get that battlefist specailly made out of adamantine, and those tracery feats, and you'll be attacking with a silver, cold iron, adamantine, magic, bludgeoning and slashing weapon!

Remove ads