Wargames for casual newcomers?

FriarRosing

First Post
Have you tried the online scenarios?

They're coming out with a campaign/scenario book as well.

When you get the Air Pack, you'll see it uses a bunch of stuff from the earlier expansions. Basically it updates all of the earlier scenarios with the new air rules, using lots of terrain pieces and minis from those sets. At that point, you realise why the expansions are good. :)

Cheers!

I've looked at some of the online scenarios, and they seem pretty cool. When we're done with the Eastern Front stuff we'll probably play through all the online ones we can. I'm pretty excited about the campaign book, I'm hoping it'll be really cool. Really, I don't mind the expansions. I'm sure I'll buy most of them, but I know that I'll be grumbling under my breath as I carry them to the cash register--for the terrain pack at least.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
The terrain pack is the one you grumble about... until you find scenarios later on that use it. There's a really fun one in the Eastern Front pack that has a train...

Cheers!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I was playing Conflict of Heroes and ASL Starter Kit #1 last night.

They were both lots of fun. CoH is more approachable for the newcomer, but ASL is a pretty amazing game.

attachment.php

This is Conflict of Heroes in play. My session report is here: FF3: General Disaster | Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 | BoardGameGeek

attachment.php

And this is Advanced Squad Leader, Starter Kit #1. Matching session report: S5: Slaughter of the Germans (2 players) | Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #1 | BoardGameGeek

If I were going from no Wargaming to heavy Wargaming, I'd probably take the path:

Memoir '44 -> Conflict of Heroes -> Combat Commander: Europe -> ASL SK#1. :)

That ignores a lot of the Card-Driven Games though, like Pursuit of Glory (which I'm going to play one of these days!)

Attachments

• COH3.jpg
    COH3.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 178
  • ASL3.jpg
    ASL3.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 190

lin_fusan

First Post
I'm late to the game for this thread, but I wanted to recommend Nexus Ops, a Wizards of the Coast/Avalon Hill small-squad self-enclosed wargame. It's for two to four players, but works excellent with three and okay with four.

It has a sci-fi theme. It has four colors of translucent plastic alien pieces. The rules are relatively straightforward.

The only problem is that it's out of print, and a copy might be hard to find.

Torillan

First Post
Are there any good World War I games? I'm somewhat more interested in that time period than any other one, but I'm not sure how well that particular war would translate into a game.

Try Wings of War, particularly with the miniatures. Even without them, its scads of fun. I run an after-school game at my 5th graders school, and all the kids love it.

While it deals with aerial combat, there are rules for ground units (AA, airstrips, etc.) that make the game more fun.

MerricB said:
You did actually make the right decision in not buying Tide of Iron; compared to the other wargames I've played, it's not in the same league.

You are correct, MM'44 is way out of ToI's league: ToI is more intelligent. MM'44 is good, but ToI is so much better. Of course, YMMV.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
You are correct, MM'44 is way out of ToI's league: ToI is more intelligent. MM'44 is good, but ToI is so much better. Of course, YMMV.

The thing is, M44 doesn't compete with ToI; M44 is a very "light" wargame.

ToI seems to be a more serious wargame, but when stacked up against Conflict of Heroes and Combat Commander: Europe it just doesn't compare IMO.

I don't think it's a bad game, but I think its competition is much better.

Cheers!

EdPovi

First Post
I agree with Torillan on Tide of Iron. I have M44, ToI, CC:E and CoH now, and while I haven't played them all extensively, it seems to me that each has it's own niche.

M44 leads pretty well to CC:E as both depend heavily on proper use and management of the cards you draw, M44 is more casual while CC:E is more detailed.

ToI and CoH are more governed by position and the action - reaction of unit activations. ToI is a bit more visual, abstract, and casual, while CoH is a bit more detailed, traditional, and historical.

They all require good tactics and strategy to do well, but each has it's own feel to the game play. I just started to get into war games a bit and the new games seem very good. I'm not sure what games to go to next, maybe ASL for more detailed squad based game, or one of the block games for a more operational level game.

FriarRosing

First Post
Thanks again for the responses and info. Right now I'm working on acquiring some good eurogames, but once my collection feels sufficient in that department I'll probably look back into wargames. The ASL starter kits and Conflict of Heroes interest me the most, I think. Combat Commander sounds interesting, but for some reason a little less so than the others.

I'm really not interested in Tide of Iron at all. I'm content with Memoir '44 in terms of casual wargames, and now I'd rather have something a lot more in depth. Increased depth, as well as simulation, are the two things I'd like to have in another game. Also, larger battles would be nice.

With M44, we have one more scenario left on the Eastern Front, after which we'll have to look for new places to battle. I think it'll be a good time to check out some of the free online scenarios!

EDIT:
Also as an aside, does anyone know anything about Manoeuvre? I still like the idea of simple, abstract wargames, and I was wondering if it was any good.

Last edited:

kobold

First Post
I'll second Wings of War as being a great game, with minis its even better. excelent of the casual gamer - yet a real wargame
WWII minis I have ot go with Disposable Hero's for the same reasons.
Both have low buy in.
If you already have a lot of minis for D&D laying around you can't go wrong with Song of Blades.
All these games are cheap compared to a lot of the other wargames out there, simple enogh to teach casual / newcomers or even children yet are complex enough tactics wise to keep long time wargamers happy.

Remove ads