• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlock Incantation Question

Psimancer

First Post
The Warlock Incantation, ‘Dark One's Own Luck’…

What if you select this ability more that once with your incantation slots? Would having the ability twice mean you could invoke it twice for two different saves?

Sithobi1

First Post
It doesn't give you a passive ability-you must invoke it, and it lasts for (IIRC) 24 hours, so you just invoke it at the start of every day. This would give you the same effect if you tried to learn 2 sorcerer spells that were the same. Effects from the same spell do not stack.

Timeboxer

Explorer
Even if you could select it more than once, that doesn't really have any effect. You're not taking Dark One's Own Luck (Fortitude) or Dark One's Own Luck (Will), you're taking Dark One's Own Luck, and in using the ability you gain the bonus to one of your saves. I gather that just because you take it twice doesn't somehow mean that you can use the ability multiple times; if you performed the invocation once for Fortitude and then again for Will, it would simply switch over from Fortitude to Will.

apesamongus

First Post
Amy Kou'ai said:
if you performed the invocation once for Fortitude and then again for Will, it would simply switch over from Fortitude to Will.

This is a bit of a hijack, but while I use this interpretation as well, I'm not sure if it's RAW. All the ability says is that you can't apply it to two different saves at once, so an equally valid interpretation would be that when you tried to use it on Will it would do nothing and would remain a Fort save bonus. Now personally, I like the idea that you can switch it up to customize for your current situation, but nothing in the text suggest which interpretation is correct.

Thanee

First Post
It does say in the PHB under stacking magical effects.

If you stack two similar but exclusive effects, the latter takes precedence over the previous.

Therefore, you switch the bonus over to the other save type.

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads