D&D 5E Warlock: The Raven Queen Patron

G

Guest 6801328

Nice! This thread only took six pages (really 5) to turn into another pointless "yes it is no it isn't" argument.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Are you being serious or is this sarcasm, because in a forum I have no idea what you're getting at here.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Well let's see. I'm quoting you saying the Raven Queen's patron's spell are trash, and pointing out it has Spiritual Weapon, one of the single best sources of Bonus Action damage.

neogod22

Explorer
Its better because it doesn't use one of your likely 2 spell slots. That spell slot would be much better served as a cast of spiritual weapon and hex. It also can't be counterspelled like misty step.
And this is exactly my point. Warlocks are cantrip casters and pretty much have to rely on their cantrip unless they're bladelocks. Either way, every round you're a raven you're taking away your attacks. Sure you cast a concentration spell and take something out of the fight for a couple rounds if it failed its save, or don't make them afterwards, but you're really taking yourself out of the fight.

neogod22

Explorer
Well let's see. I'm quoting you saying the Raven Queen's patron's spell are trash, and pointing out it has Spiritual Weapon, one of the single best sources of Bonus Action damage.
I'm not sure, but I think pact of the undying has spiritual weapon also, with a much better spell list.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Where are you getting the idea that merging with your raven is supposed to be a combat tactic? I mean it can be used that way, but it really doesn't appear to be the primary purpose, given the restrictions on your Action.

It seems pretty clear it's intended for scouting or fleeing, not combat.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I hope the theories are wrong and this sub-class makes the cut. It was one of my absolute top picks from all the UAs (and I skipped 3.5 and 4.0 so I had never even heard of the Raven Queen previously.)

I agree. Also, the Raven Queen was my favorite deity instituted by 4e. I have fond memories of my 4e raven queen cleric dual-wielding sickles (despite them being sub-par weapons) and anointing the dead (even dead enemies) so they couldn't be animated or otherwise come back as undead monstrosities that affronted her goddess.

sekigahara08

First Post
Question on becoming a Raven:

"While perched on your shoulder, the raven can’t be targeted by any attack or other harmful effect;only you can cast spells on it; it can’t take damage; and it is incapacitated. You can see through the raven’s eyes and hear what it hears while it is within 100 feet of you."
--- Sentinel Raven

"During this time, you gain the benefits of your raven being perched on your shoulder."
--- Soul of Raven

Does merging with the raven (to become a raven) will also mean that as a raven my warlock cannot be targeted by any attack? Given that the only actions in raven form will be to Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide or Search.

yes, it does.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Where are you getting the idea that merging with your raven is supposed to be a combat tactic? I mean it can be used that way, but it really doesn't appear to be the primary purpose, given the restrictions on your Action.

It seems pretty clear it's intended for scouting or fleeing, not combat.

Although...one tactic would be to use your Action to cast Banish one one or two opponents (if you are 9th level), then Bonus Action to merge with your raven, then fly somewhere behind total cover so they can't try to break your concentration. :p

Remove ads