D&D 5E Warlock: The Raven Queen Patron

How does something with no combat value equate to power gaming exactly?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

You don't see the combat value of a bonus action flying invincibility. A good self reliant oh :):):):) button. You are ambushed and surprised and taken down to half health in one round. Then you transform into a bird fly away that turn invulnerable and go to an advantageous position and use your action to turn back in one turn.

neogod22

Explorer
You don't see the combat value of a bonus action flying invincibility. A good self reliant oh :):):):) button. You are ambushed and surprised and taken down to half health in one round. Then you transform into a bird fly away that turn invulnerable and go to an advantageous position and use your action to turn back in one turn.
So how is that better than just using misty step 30ft away, firing off an Eldritch blast and then moving away another 30ft?

Waterbizkit

Explorer
How does something with no combat value equate to power gaming exactly?

There are plenty of damaging concentration spells... or if you want something really flavorful, maddening hex from the more recent warlock UA deals damage with your bonus action. When will the warlock lose concentration on his spells? Quoth the raven "nevermore".

Just because a warlock in raven-form isn't slinging eldritch blast every turn doesn't mean they won't be contributing to combat in a meaningful way.

neogod22

Explorer
There are plenty of damaging concentration spells... or if you want something really flavorful, maddening hex from the more recent warlock UA deals damage with your bonus action. When will the warlock lose concentration on his spells? Quoth the raven "nevermore".

Just because a warlock in raven-form isn't slinging eldritch blast every turn doesn't mean they won't be contributing to combat in a meaningful way.
Going with the senerio that chunk put out, you don't have time to hex. You can't use 2 bonus actions in the same round.

Waterbizkit

Explorer
Going with the senerio that chunk put out, you don't have time to hex. You can't use 2 bonus actions in the same round.

I wasn't responding to anyone's specific scenario. I'm responding to your statement, or question I suppose: "How does something with no combat value equate to power gaming?" The fact is that being able to take on an invulnerable form will always have combat value, doubly so when said form can be taken at-will by a spell caster who has plenty of strong concentration spells that suddenly become unbreakable once the caster can no longer fail a concentration check due to taking damage.

Don't get me wrong, thematically it's totally awesome. Between Soul of the Raven and the aforementioned maddening hex I get to literally be a twisted invulnerable version of Poe's Raven... staring and squeaking at my enemies as they slowly die. It's cool, but broke as all get out.

neogod22

Explorer

I haven't been keeping up with the new UA stuff, so I just looked up what maddening hex was and see that they revised a quite a few invocations. This Celestial Warlock looks pretty cool, and will more likely be in Xanthers guide than the Raven Queen which had horrible spells.

neogod22

Explorer
I wasn't responding to anyone's specific scenario. I'm responding to your statement, or question I suppose: "How does something with no combat value equate to power gaming?" The fact is that being able to take on an invulnerable form will always have combat value, doubly so when said form can be taken at-will by a spell caster who has plenty of strong concentration spells that suddenly become unbreakable once the caster can no longer fail a concentration check due to taking damage.

Don't get me wrong, thematically it's totally awesome. Between Soul of the Raven and the aforementioned maddening hex I get to literally be a twisted invulnerable version of Poe's Raven... staring and squeaking at my enemies as they slowly die. It's cool, but broke as all get out.
Sounds great on paper, but unfortunately strong and concentration spells don't go together. The majority of them are controller based that don't do a lot of damage, so sure you lock down a single target, or a small area, but when the spell becomes irrelevant, then what?

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Sounds great on paper, but unfortunately strong and concentration spells don't go together. The majority of them are controller based that don't do a lot of damage, so sure you lock down a single target, or a small area, but when the spell becomes irrelevant, then what?

...are you for real? There's a reason you are limited to a single concentration spell at a time - it's because they are so strong.

Remove ads