D&D 5E Warlord Healing

Do warlords need in-combat healing abilities?

• Warlords must have true in-combat healing.

Votes: 23 18.0%
  • Warlords must have some form of damage mitigation, but not necessarily true healing.

Votes: 43 33.6%
  • Warlords don't need damage mitigation abilities.

Votes: 12 9.4%
  • I have no interest in a 5E warlord class.

Votes: 50 39.1%

Dausuul

Legend
I hate adding to the number of 5E warlord threads, but I wanted to see what the community felt about the hot-button issue with warlords, which is in-combat healing. For a 5E warlord class to be acceptable, does it need to have "true" in-combat healing (restoring hit points, capable of reviving unconscious PCs)? Is it okay if it doesn't have that, but does have some other way to reduce damage suffered by the party (temp hit points, granting damage resistance, etc.)? Or does it not need any such thing?

Sacrosanct

Legend
It's all resource management at a macro level, and therefore the end result between actually healing HP or preventing HP loss is pretty much the same in the long run--at the end of the battle you end up with the same HP left. It fits my verisimilitude better to have things like temp HP to reflect inspiring adrenaline because those are much more analogous to real life (mundane) examples rather than relying on a supernatural ability. I do not want a martial character to have supernatural abilities that replicate the magical effects of spells. YMMV of course.

Mephista

Adventurer
"True healing" for a warlord just doesn't make sense to me. The whole point of restoring regular hit points instead of granting temporary ones is for the sole purpose of having someone at 0 HP be restored. I don't remember other editions off the top of my head, but in 5e, if you hit zero? You are explicitly either unconcious, or dead.

How is an inspiration-based non-magical healing going to wake you up if you can't hear the warlord? That's the impossible hurdle that I run into whenever the topic of warlord healing comes up.

Paraxis

Explorer
Give them healing.

In combat non-magic healing is already possible in at least two ways. Fighter second wind ability works once and is recovered with a short rest, and the Healer feat also once per short rest.

If the game allows for someone to move 30' (possibly more depending on race), reach out and apply whatever salves are needed from a healer's kit to someone wearing armor, while in the middle of a fight with multiple enemies, all within a turn, I don't see how immersion breaking a warlord inspiring people to suck it up with a few words can be.

It also seems like a few people allow the rogue thief subclass to use it's cunning action to administer a use of a healer's kit for the purpose of stabilization and the healer feat. If that is the case, then the example would be fire a short bow (action), move 30', apply salves to fighter in plate mail or monk spinning around (bonus action).

It is all about how you view hit points, and if you alter the narrative to suit the rules or if you alter the rules to suit the narrative.

When I was going over the use of the healer's kit and feat interaction, I noticed no where does it say that the creature being healed or stabilized has to be adjacent. I know common sense and all, but this is one of odd things that should be stated but isn't.

Mercule

Adventurer
I picked #2. I could have gone with "not interested", but I kinda am, in a very minor way. I think it would be extremely difficult to do without giving the Warlord magic, risking suspension of disbelief, or just falling flat.

That aside, I'd probably focus on ways for the Warlord to allow others to use Hit Dice during combat, boost the effectiveness of Hit Dice between combats, restore Hit Dice during short rests or gain more during long rests, etc. It might not be specifically Hit Dice, but I'd see it generally having that sort feel to it. You could even give them a pool of "Command Points" that can be used for healing(ish) and other things.

The balance to walk, though, is between the Fighter (Battle Master) and the Bard (Valor). If you let the Warlord spend the points and attack, they end up effectively a Battle Master with a few other Maneuvers. If you don't, then they're either weaker than the Fighter or you increase and fluff out the Commands. Without the attack in there, and with more potent abilities, you're left asking when they can be used and on whom. Saying "must be able to hear" or "must be able to see" the Warlord is just reskinning verbal (issue a Command) and somatic (point to where the subject should move/attack) components. At that point, just use the Bard. If the specific selection of abilities for the Bard is displeasing, the casting Warlord could be done as by changing the spell list for the Eldritch Knight.

Again, I'm not saying that I'm opposed to building a 5E Warlord. I just think that it's a pretty narrow path with minimal return other than checking a box for 4E fans.

MechaPilot

Explorer
I opted for #1.

While not everyone wants a healing warlord, any proper conversion of the warlord to 5e should have a healing option in the class for those who want it.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
How is an inspiration-based non-magical healing going to wake you up if you can't hear the warlord? That's the impossible hurdle that I run into whenever the topic of warlord healing comes up.

Where are you getting the idea that unconscious characters can't hear? They aren't consciously processing what they hear, but they are still hearing and the subconscious is incorporating it. Even some coma patients are known to have heard things.

Unless they are Deafened (the condition), they most certainly can hear...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases