• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

Tony Vargas

Legend
But the Ki total works out to basically a half caster with a small number of options.
I think it's worth noting that a few rechargeable options like that would be an upgrade from the original Marshal, which just had his auras and was strictly a buffer and would be fine for bringing a version of that class into 5e (but would probably also end up playing a lot like a BM), but falls well short of the resources of 5e support classes like Cleric, Druid, and the winner of the chassis poll, Bard.

So, if the goal is to build 5e Marshal, the Monk is a fine template, but if it's to create a consensus leader-themed support class (let alone a 5e warlord), not strictly inferior to existing support classes, the Bard (or Cleric, for that matter) may well be a better place to start.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
The goal, if I recall, was to see what could be done without using a full caster template. If you have enough points and abilities, and/or those affect mechanically important parts of the game, it doesn't have to be immensely inferior to the full casters. That said, especially at tier 3 and 4, and even to an extent tier 2, the casters have a disproportionately large effect on the game, so the bar for comparison is set pretty high. I'd be happy if the impact of this class was roughly on par with the non-caster and 1/3 caster classes, and perhaps the 1/2 casters.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Notes-

1. No issue on these with ToTM.

2. Gambits (or Gambit die) to replace martial arts works. Call it "Gambits" for the table. You can use you gambits as additions in different ways.

3. Martial Presence works as a replacement for unarmored movement for the table.

4. Now, for the table, you need a new name for ki/tactics points. Then the table is done other than filling in features.

I'm thinking that maybe for martial presence, this is just the DISTANCE of your presence (aura) and that you can have different types or presence or aura that you project within that distance?
For now let’s put Mettle on the table in place of ki, but keep it orange for now.

I think that was the plan, yeah, to have the size of the aura scale with level, although we haven't really talked about how often and by how much.
Right. I figure it starts at 15, and increases by 5ft every time Unarmored movement does. We can change the amount or frequency later if needed.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I didn't see that bit in the OP. Though I suppose it's obviously implicit in the unilateral choice of Monk.

But, referencing Warlord in both the title and the OP brings with it the fact that it was a full support class in 4e, that would need to be comparable to the 5e Cleric or Bard in that (albeit informal) role, where the Full/half-caster distinction was merely whether you use Implements on all your powers, or weapons on some of them, as well, not the sheer quantity & power of vital support resources you brought to the party(npi).
Tony, please justt give the thread a chance to try and accomplish it's goals.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I didn't see that bit in the OP. Though I suppose it's obviously implicit in the unilateral choice of Monk.

But, referencing Warlord in both the title and the OP brings with it the fact that it was a full support class in 4e, that would need to be comparable to the 5e Cleric or Bard in that (albeit informal) role, where the Full/half-caster distinction was merely whether you use Implements on all your powers, or weapons on some of them, as well, not the sheer quantity & power of vital support resources you brought to the party(npi).
Building an entire suite of new "spell-like resources" to support the 5e caster chassis while simultaneously not just mimicking spells (which is what such an endeavor would require) seems outside the scope of this particular thread.

Quite simply, the delta between martials and casters in 5e is much smaller than in 3.5, although wider than 4e. (I'm aware you disagree with this notion, but I believe it's the assumption of most posters in this thread.) Building a viable support class without the long-rest ability chassis is quite feasible.

Remove ads