Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Back to defensive auras for a moment, do we want to dip into saving throw bonuses or does that feel too much like stepping on the Paladin's toes?

I was thinking perhaps an aura that gave allies proficiency in a save of the Marshal's choice and where the Martial could swap out the save affected per long rest. Maybe that costs to turn on for duration X or not, I'm not sure. Or perhaps a cost for the Marshal to give proficiency on a save as a reaction to an attack, but still with the type changed per long rest.
That’s definitely a good possibility. What about a passive benefit where the Marshal chooses a save and every ally within the aura gets a bonus to it (proficiency works, but so would +gambit die), and the warlord can spend 1 ki to grant someone a save against an effect they are under, even if it normally doesn’t allow a save?

doctorbadwolf

Nudging this along ... @doctorbadwolf has anything else been decided?
Okay, in orange for now,

level 3
Warning Shout
Starting at level 3, you can warn an ally within your presence of an incoming attack as a reaction, giving them an AC bonus equal to your Gambit Die. If the attack fails, you can spend 1 Mettle as part of the same reaction to allow an ally within your presence to make a counter-attack using their reaction.

the wording needs cleaning up, and we may go back to the monks damage reduction model, but it’s the basic idea.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Hmm. Allowing saves when there isn't normally one allowed seems like it could be complicated. Perhaps a bonus of some kind to ending an effect already in place?

I'm ok with either an aura or gambits for the proficiency bonus to a save. We could decide which way to go after we have some other abilities in place and decide we have a need for either another gambit or another aura effect.

doctorbadwolf

Okay I’m gonna review what we have after I feed and walk my dog, and then start asking questions I think we need to answer to move forward!

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That’s definitely a good possibility. What about a passive benefit where the Marshal chooses a save and every ally within the aura gets a bonus to it (proficiency works, but so would +gambit die), and the warlord can spend 1 ki to grant someone a save against an effect they are under, even if it normally doesn’t allow a save?
How about enabling moving out of the area of effect of something that doesn't normally allow a save in reaction to the effect.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Okay, in orange for now,

level 3
Warning Shout
Starting at level 3, you can warn an ally within your presence of an incoming attack as a reaction, giving them an AC bonus equal to your Gambit Die. If the attack fails, you can spend 1 Mettle as part of the same reaction to allow an ally within your presence to make a counter-attack using their reaction.

the wording needs cleaning up, and we may go back to the monks damage reduction model, but it’s the basic idea.
A reaction is kind of expensive if you're not even guaranteed of needing it ... or getting any real benefit either just a thought and reason emulating the monk ability closer might be better. 2 reactions and some mettle depleted.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

How about enabling moving out of the area of effect of something that doesn't normally allow a save in reaction to the effect.
That could maybe work.
A reaction is kind of expensive if you're not even guaranteed of needing it ... or getting any real benefit either just a thought and reason emulating the monk ability closer might be better. 2 reactions and some mettle depleted.
That’s actually fair, but the risk of wasting the reaction helps balance the fact you’re adding an extra attack from anyone in the aura.
Something to consider.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That could maybe work.

That’s actually fair, but the risk of wasting the reaction helps balance the fact you’re adding an extra attack from anyone in the aura.
Something to consider.
Just saying the monk uses phraseology as part of the same reaction making it twice as efficient in action economy terms. Who makes an attack doesnt really change the value too much in context. (never charge for flavor or you make Garthanos a sad boy) maybe the inspired retaliation does not cost more mettle.

Remove ads