• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Monk Class said:
Slow Fall
Beginning at 4th level, you can use your reaction when you fall to reduce any falling damage you take by an amount equal to five times your monk level.

Falling is an interesting case it seems to happen often enough to be alright hmmm thematically its an expression of athletic/acrobatic prowess in a defensive act. Perhaps for a Warlord we need an expression of the use of another mental skill like insight as in figuring out motivations I suppose it could be some sort of interaction with sensing lies not sure that is the right flavoring.

The master of tactics I almost would like to steal whole hog form the rogue.

Master of Tactics
Starting at 3rd level, you can use the Help action as a bonus action. Additionally, when you use the Help action to aid an ally in attacking a creature, the target of that attack can be within 30 feet of you, rather than 5 feet of you, if the target can see or hear you.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
That's cribbed pretty directly from the Mastermind rogue subclass. That's fine, but do we want to crib, or do want to try and stick to new mechanics? Honest question.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Do Vanguard first - it should be relatively straight forward and let everyone get a feel of where things should go - it might even generate ideas that can be shifted to the other subclasses.

I’d do Tactician second, once everyone gets the flavour of Vanguard down and can then start adding spice
Agreed.
Here is the analog encounter power from 4e. Though there is also a Tacticians variation on that which allows enemies to shift 3 squares instead, which is perhaps the thought I just had The base line Warning shout does X but the Tactician Variation adds the option of enabling an ally to disengage and move 15 feet on your turn or whatever movement style grants seem good. Perhaps my objection to the extensive reaction use might be addressed by allowing the warlords attribute bonus to be added to the ally attack or give it advantage. Sorry if I am over focusing though LOL there is plenty left to do. I like the concept of the ability a lot and that is attracting my attention.

View attachment 117521

I’d be fine with changing it to “when an ally is hit”
That's cribbed pretty directly from the Mastermind rogue subclass. That's fine, but do we want to crib, or do want to try and stick to new mechanics? Honest question.
I think it’s okay for two classes to share a mechanic when it’s on brand for both. I’d do it differently here, though.
The whole point (well, most of the point) of giving the warlord extra attack is to use it as a force multiplier for support.

what about trading an attack to Help an ally within your Presence who can see and hear you, and you can spend 1 ki to project the ability out to twice the distance of your Presence and add yourGambit Die to their roll?

In or outside of combat it still means you’re able to do it twice a round at 5th level and onward, and in combat, it doesn’t stop you providing your gambit die to someone’s damage on their next attack with your bonus action.

any objections or suggest changes?

@lowkey13 let’s put the known subclasses names up. We have Vanguard and Tactician, so far, in black.

In orange, can we put up the “mettle 1” ability I suggested, with the working name “Guiding Attack”.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
If completely appropriate (level and context fit)... I think it should be on the table but its also a reminder of an effect that might be accessed differently

doctorbadwolf

Okay, in orange for now,

level 3
Warning Shout
Starting at level 3, you can warn an ally within your presence of an incoming attack as a reaction, giving them an AC bonus equal to your Gambit Die. If the attack fails, you can spend 1 Mettle as part of the same reaction to allow an ally within your presence to make a counter-attack using their reaction.

the wording needs cleaning up, and we may go back to the monks damage reduction model, but it’s the basic idea.
Hmm. Allowing saves when there isn't normally one allowed seems like it could be complicated. Perhaps a bonus of some kind to ending an effect already in place?

I'm ok with either an aura or gambits for the proficiency bonus to a save. We could decide which way to go after we have some other abilities in place and decide we have a need for either another gambit or another aura effect.
Yeah I’m truing to figure out good wording, but the idea was that if an effect has a save DC, you allow them to make a save with a bonus when they wouldn’t normally be able to. So, if they failed their save against Dragon fear, you could use this to allow them to save again, with a bonus.
But it’s only a viable idea if we can work out good wording for it.
Okay, so, I think that we can have “mettle 1” be “When you take the attack action, you can spend 1 ki to grant an ally a single weapon attack as a Reaction, in place of one attack. Either the ally, or their target, must be within your Presence.”
Okay, let’s try a new draft.
“When you take the Attack Action on your turn, you can spend 1 Mettle to replace one attack to guide an ally to make an attack as a reaction. Either the attacking ally, or the target, must be within your Aura.”

and update Warning Shout to;
Starting at level 3, you can warn an ally within your presence of an incoming attack. As a reaction when an ally within your Presence is hit with an attack, but before damage is rolled, you can grant them an AC bonus equal to your Gambit Die. If the attack fails, you can spend 1 Mettle as part of the same reaction to allow an ally within your presence to make a counter-attack using their reaction.

any objections to these?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I think it’s okay for two classes to share a mechanic when it’s on brand for both. I’d do it differently here, though.
The whole point (well, most of the point) of giving the warlord extra attack is to use it as a force multiplier for support.

what about trading an attack to Help an ally within your Presence who can see and hear you, and you can spend 1 ki to project the ability out to twice the distance of your Presence and add yourGambit Die to their roll?

In or outside of combat it still means you’re able to do it twice a round at 5th level and onward, and in combat, it doesn’t stop you providing your gambit die to someone’s damage on their next attack with your bonus action.
Trading an attack to take the help action w/o Ki seems fine. For the Ki expenditure version perhaps with one Ki you can use your BA ibstead to do the same thing? I'd OK with range mods too. With or without range I like adding the gambit die with the Ki cost version.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Not that I know of, but there is sooooo much homebrew floating around out there its impossible to stay on top of. Google is probably your friend here.

doctorbadwolf

Trading an attack to take the help action w/o Ki seems fine. For the Ki expenditure version perhaps with one Ki you can use your BA ibstead to do the same thing? I'd OK with range mods too. With or without range I like adding the gambit die with the Ki cost version.
I think that trading an attack is better than using a bonus action, since the class has an atwill damage bonus as a bonus action.
Would it be too much to spend a ki and still make your attack? No, that’s a good Vanguard thing.

let’s put it as is in orange for now and play with it more later? Once we have seen how archetypes look, we will have a bettEr idea how stuff like this can change with ki.
I haven’t been in this thread for a while. But does anyone know if anyone has done a conversion of the 13th age commander to d&d 5E
If anyone has, I’d love to check it out.

Remove ads