Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And an armor class boost might not even be of value unless you are knowing the incoming attack would hit / how well.
Yes, it’s a risk. And it comes with greater reward, because a single attack from a monk isn’t that powerful compared to most other warrior classes or the rogue.

look. We can come back to this later. For now, let’s try to get the class finished in at least a first draft.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Okay, so, I think that we can have “mettle 1” be “When you take the attack action, you can spend 1 ki to grant an ally a single weapon attack as a Reaction, in place of one attack. Either the ally, or their target, must be within your Presence.”

I don’t think it’s a problem that this is stronger if there is a rogue in the group. The Rogue’s reaction is precious, and it’s not hard for a rogue to get a reaction attack with feats. Take sentinel and stay in melee. And if it’s on the ally’s turn, that’s even more powerful for every warrior class except maybe monks. It’s powerful for Paladins no matter what.

thoughts?

Also, let’s pick an archetype to finish before we work on any others. I feel like either the vanguard or tactician. Vanguard is likely the simplest, and the tactician the thorniest.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Okay, so, I think that we can have “mettle 1” be “When you take the attack action, you can spend 1 ki to grant an ally a single weapon attack as a Reaction, in place of one attack. Either the ally, or their target, must be within your Presence.”

I don’t think it’s a problem that this is stronger if there is a rogue in the group. The Rogue’s reaction is precious, and it’s not hard for a rogue to get a reaction attack with feats. Take sentinel and stay in melee. And if it’s on the ally’s turn, that’s even more powerful for every warrior class except maybe monks. It’s powerful for Paladins no matter what.

thoughts?

Also, let’s pick an archetype to finish before we work on any others. I feel like either the vanguard or tactician. Vanguard is likely the simplest, and the tactician the thorniest.

Do Vanguard first - it should be relatively straight forward and let everyone get a feel of where things should go - it might even generate ideas that can be shifted to the other subclasses.

I’d do Tactician second, once everyone gets the flavour of Vanguard down and can then start adding spice

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yes, it’s a risk. And it comes with greater reward, because a single attack from a monk isn’t that powerful compared to most other warrior classes or the rogue.
Ah yeh the latter is more valuable so I guess more price at that point does make sense as does a reaction. I guess the initial deciding point being potentially not needed at all is just a weird risk though I guess its offset by the all or nothing benefit you can literally full stop ANY strength attack (just not any full quality attack).

Mearles did talk about that worrying about a granted attack being more potent than the Warlords own and kind of warns against making that important (lumps it in with situational optimization to be expected).

but NEVER mind objection withdrawn.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Do Vanguard first - it should be relatively straight forward and let everyone get a feel of where things should go - it might even generate ideas that can be shifted to the other subclasses.
I think calibrating risks and rewards can be tricky lol but it sounds like a @doctorbadwolf favorite so that is enough reason if you want to ahem focus fire development.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
level 3
Warning Shout
Starting at level 3, you can warn an ally within your presence of an incoming attack as a reaction, giving them an AC bonus equal to your Gambit Die. If the attack fails, you can spend 1 Mettle as part of the same reaction to allow an ally within your presence to make a counter-attack using their reaction.

the wording needs cleaning up, and we may go back to the monks damage reduction model, but it’s the basic idea.
Here is the analog encounter power from 4e. Though there is also a Tacticians variation on that which allows enemies to shift 3 squares instead, which is perhaps the thought I just had The base line Warning shout does X but the Tactician Variation adds the option of enabling an ally to disengage and move 15 feet on your turn or whatever movement style grants seem good. Perhaps my objection to the extensive reaction use might be addressed by allowing the warlords attribute bonus to be added to the ally attack or give it advantage. Sorry if I am over focusing though LOL there is plenty left to do. I like the concept of the ability a lot and that is attracting my attention.

1579188468607.png

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Yeah, lets start with Vanguard. I'm fine with DBW's version of mettle 1 from above too. This is all still 1st draft stuff, and we're not locking ourselves into anything yet. Let's get all the moving parts in place and then revisit the fine detailing.

Remove ads