Warlord Homebrew Collaboration (+) (Create a 5e Warlord)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
How about this: Enemy Archer aims at Wizard and rolls to hit. Warlord uses Shout of Warning which allows the Wizard to roll 1dX off the damage roll. If the damage becomes 0, the Wizard may designate an individual within melee range of himself to take the attack instead. The diverted attack uses the original to-hit and damage rolls on the new target.

Given that higher-level foes will always do more than 1dX damage with each shot, it might be more effective for Shout of Warning to give the Wizard +1dX AC instead (like Shield, but for the rest of us) and nothing spectacular happens if the shot now misses.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The difference here is that the shooter rolled a hit, he has to have to have triggered the rule. Then the rule retcons it into a miss, a really bad miss
Bad by implication it hit an ally not necessarily bad in the you really messed up your aim ... your aim was fine you may have hit exactly where and when you expected but when you hit it was a an ally there (or with the arrow it didnt at all hit where you targeted because well ranged weaponry are ranged). Shrug. Yeh the after the damage is rolled thing does make it somewhat reconnish which is just like temp hit points though... oh you didnt really hit now did you? And that mechanic THP is meat and drink for the concept. See inspired leadership.

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Well, I don't agree that it makes sense, it really doesn't to me, not in any kind of narrative way, but I'm also done cluttering up the the thread with that. We can probably plaster over some of those cracks with the right rules write up later on anyway. I'm content to move on here.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
How about this: Enemy Archer aims at Wizard and rolls to hit. Warlord uses Shout of Warning which allows the Wizard to roll 1dX off the damage roll. If the damage becomes 0, the Wizard may designate an individual within melee range of himself to take the attack instead. The diverted attack uses the original to-hit and damage rolls on the new target.
Basically the most common will be near but it probably will be the warlord doing the designation doesnt much matter (but if you figure the Warlord is engaging in subtle manipulating of the battlefield ie arranging it anyway it seems his call)
Given that higher-level foes will always do more than 1dX damage with each shot, it might be more effective for Shout of Warning to give the Wizard +1dX AC instead (like Shield, but for the rest of us) and nothing spectacular happens if the shot now misses.
Armor Class was actually the first way I envisioned warning shout working.

Last edited:

Why not let the marshal spend extra points to reduce more damage if they wish?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The difference here is that the shooter rolled a hit, he has to have to have triggered the rule. Then the rule retcons it into a miss, a really bad miss, and this happens after the damage roll. I can live with this if it's what everyone wants, but it's weird.
That’s just mechanics, though.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Back to defensive auras for a moment, do we want to dip into saving throw bonuses or does that feel too much like stepping on the Paladin's toes?

I was thinking perhaps an aura that gave allies proficiency in a save of the Marshal's choice and where the Martial could swap out the save affected per long rest. Maybe that costs to turn on for duration X or not, I'm not sure. Or perhaps a cost for the Marshal to give proficiency on a save as a reaction to an attack, but still with the type changed per long rest.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Back to defensive auras for a moment, do we want to dip into saving throw bonuses or does that feel too much like stepping on the Paladin's toes?
Personally I say go with step away... LOL, trick is if these are maneuver style options they can be a build so to speak or an option planned for strategically.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases