• Concord Administrator

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • Other (post your idea/choice)

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • Lemon Curry

Votes: 20 16.8%

Celebrim

Legend
I disagree with this....*proceeds to not disagree with this*...If this kind of thing needs to be attached to the fighter class, then I think those class abilities need to be based on Intelligence and Charisma [just like you said]....

Errr.... ok. Yes, a high level fighter that didn't invest anything in tactics and command and which had low intelligence or charisma is probably not someone you want leading your army. Yes, a scholar of tactics and command could probably do better, although even said dumb but personally puissant fighter could probably command an army slightly better than someone that had no experience or knowledge of war at all and has never taken or received orders.

Aldarc

Legend
Commander, Tactician, Captain will do for proposed alternatives. Warlord works if you would like to preserve continuity and the power of the name that comes with tradition.

'Paragon' might be an interesting alternative. There was a class in Guild Wars 1 called the 'paragon' that was similar to the warlord: a commanding soldier that buffed and supported allies through shouts, with abilities in leadership, command, and motivation.

Rygar

Explorer
Looking at what the "Warlord" actually does and does not do...

-The Warlord does not determine strategy
-The Warlord does not determine tactics
-The Warlord does is not the defacto leader
-The Warlord does not have an army
-The Warlord does not rule a realm
-The Warlord does buff party members
-The Warlord does "Heal" party members

So with respect, pretty much none of the choices apply. All of the choices reflect a leadership position, someone in charge of strategic and tactical decisions, and in some cases the ruler of a realm or army, all things the Warlord absolutely does not do. The Warlord is, in fact, just some guy in a tavern who decided to call himself a "Warlord".

This is one of the major issues this class has, the class is really just a buff-class, all of the things he "does" are actually done by the players at the table, he's pretty much a bard without an instrument not a Warlord.

So honestly, the best name I can think of for this class is "Minstrel" and fold it into Bard.

Personally, I like Battle Captain. Referent to source material (LotR) and connotes what their gist generally is. Warlord is all the same to me though.

You could also go with INSPIRINATOR. It is neutral and dorky enough to be mojo-multiplying Frodo or Bilbo who "leads" by moxie and heart. All kinds of possibilities. For instance: "I am the Inspirinator! Stab this puny man here with much vigor (attack as reaction)! Squelch the cries of that whelp there and delight in his silence (attack as reaction with HP gain rider)! Behold as your enemies are driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women! (HP returned)"

"Sully! Remember when we promised we'd kill you last?...(reaction - attack crit)...we lied..."

Remathilis

Legend
D&D is an odd duck for naming classes.

In one case, we have a mechanical niche (buffing and nonmagical healing) that lacks a proper descriptive name that doesn't denote military rank or nobility (which traditionally are the only ways people became leaders of men, but I digress).

In another famous case, we have a solid name that invokes a desired archetype of fantasy, but nobody can agree on how to mechanically represent it, including the designers of the game.

So I say combine them and name the new warlord "Ranger" :p

Remove ads