• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Warlord vs. Tactician

Warlord vs. Tactician

• Tactician

Votes: 49 32.7%
  • Warlord

Votes: 101 67.3%

• Poll closed .

Lackhand

First Post
I voted tactician, but it was a cheesy sort of punning vote.

I think Tactician is a lousy name for the Warlord, if the Warlord is inspired by the Marshal and tweaked for fourth edition (which seems like a reasonable assumption).
Tactician implies Int-based warrior type to me, but the Warlord and Marshal are both more neutral in terms of prime-attribute. Also, the Marshal at least is more charisma-focused than intelligence-focused.

I think Tactician would make an excellent base class or talent tree, though.

Part of my problem with the whole concept is that inspiring the troops is specifically in-trope for high level warrior-types. There are some mythological warriors who don't, maybe, but very few who can't; any high level (read: awesome) warrior-types with an army tend to be able to whip them into a fury.

I kind of am coming around to wishing that the class were named Noble (or Aristocrat or Courtier or whatever), too.

Gothic_Demon

First Post
How much of the problem with choosing the name of this class (and by extension hating the name it's got) is because we don't really know anything about it's powers or abilities?

Maybe we should wait and see until we get something a bit more concrete then try these polls again?

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I don't like the tactician and have no objections to the warlord. Okay, it is a bit over the top name but it's ok. Now the best alternative for warlord I've heard so far would be noble.

Li Shenron

Legend
Tactician sounds to me someone who does not battle, but works on maps in a room and send others to fight. Plus, it sounds very flavorless. Warlord still wins for me.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Li Shenron said:
Tactician sounds to me someone who does not battle, but works on maps in a room and send others to fight. Plus, it sounds very flavorless. Warlord still wins for me.

To me, that would be more of a strategist, one who plans the battle before it begins, with Tactician doing exactly what a Warlord has been described as - a sort of cross between a Marshal and a Bard, aiding and organizing things during the battle.

However, I dislike the name "Tactician", for that matter. I'd rather it be "Marshal," but the abilities may be so far different from the 3E Marshal that WotC feels it will cause too much confusion.

Cadfan

First Post
Tactician is too bland. Its also less of a description of what the class is, then a description of one thing amongst many that a class does.

Remove ads