Warlords and Summons

twilsemail

First Post
Greetings all.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a clear understanding of the interaction between leaders and summoned creatures. Specifically, if a Warlord uses Commander's Strike and chooses a summoned creature as the ally to attack, what happens next.

The Summoning keyword tells us that the Summoned creature is an ally. It does not tell us what happens when that creature is granted an attack by means outside of summoning magic.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Obryn

Hero
Greetings all.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has a clear understanding of the interaction between leaders and summoned creatures. Specifically, if a Warlord uses Commander's Strike and chooses a summoned creature as the ally to attack, what happens next.

The Summoning keyword tells us that the Summoned creature is an ally. It does not tell us what happens when that creature is granted an attack by means outside of summoning magic.

Any help on this would be appreciated.
They don't have basic attacks, so the Warlord won't be able to do much...

-O

Caragaran

First Post
As far as I am aware summons all use their summoners attack values. They are in effect an extension of the summoner (wizards use int for example and also lose a healing surge when a summon dies) so the summon would make it's standard attack as written in its stat block much the same as any other allied creature would(a P.C. would get a basic attack)

The other question is do Dominated creatures count as an ally. because monster basic attacks can be devasting.

Ryujin

Legend
As far as I am aware summons all use their summoners attack values. They are in effect an extension of the summoner (wizards use int for example and also lose a healing surge when a summon dies) so the summon would make it's standard attack as written in its stat block much the same as any other allied creature would(a P.C. would get a basic attack)

The other question is do Dominated creatures count as an ally. because monster basic attacks can be devasting.

A dominated creature is still an enemy. If you want to make enemy monsters take basic attacks at each other, might I suggest that you play a Feylock? ;)

twilsemail

First Post
For some reason I was under the impression that something somewhere said all creatures had a Basic Attack. The closest I can find is a blurb in the PHB about all characters having basic attacks...

I guess the Warlord isn't granting attacks to the Summon afterall.

DracoSuave

First Post
For some reason I was under the impression that something somewhere said all creatures had a Basic Attack. The closest I can find is a blurb in the PHB about all characters having basic attacks...

I guess the Warlord isn't granting attacks to the Summon afterall.

Summonings are an exception to the rule. There's no indication of what their basic attack is. All players have the melee and ranged basic attack powers, and monsters have one or more of their powers delineated as basic attacks. Summonings have neither. As specific exceptions, they trump the general rule.

Mengu

First Post
There is of course an exception to the exception. Thought Phantom (Star Pact Hexblade summon) has a melee basic attack.

Remove ads