D&D 5E Was I in the wrong?

You're claiming the cell phone using player threw a tantrum and believed himself entitled to a favorable outcome regardless of effect. You have no grounds to make the claim. Everyone at the table was unhappy with the actions of the DM. The DM is now claiming that the cell phone user was the most unhappy out of all of them. I say there's 2 sides to the coin and the DM using the cell phone user as a scapegoat to justify his behavior does not mean that the cell phone user had a tantrum or whatever other belittling lingo you want to use.

I made no such claim. I merely pointed out the difference between child and adult responses to a similar situation.

I don't know the individuals involved, and have no knowledge of what anyone did except as reported by the OP.

IIRC the OP said that the rest of the party wasn't happy with what happened but accepted it. Only cell phone guy got extra bent out of shape over this, according to the DM report.

Lanliss

Explorer
But Exploder essentially calling people crybabies is O.K. ? Got it.

I agree that Noctem was not crossing the line, but douche in all caps is a bit more insulting than mentioning the possibility the player just be a crybaby. I think Morrus may have just slightly misread Noctem's post (same thing happened to me a little while back) and confused the statement for Noctem specifically saying this DM was a douche. Of course, given Noctem's posts, it is not too far a stretch to take this as meaning that in this case they are indirectly saying the DM is a douche, through the underlying sentiment of "this is what the players trust the DM to do, this DM has violated that trust." Argh, playing both sides in an argument is hard, especially when I'm trying not to offend anyone.

EDIT, because apparently my auto correct thinks I am on a Theater Forum, and changed Player to Playwright.

Noctem

Explorer
I agree that Noctem was not crossing the line, but douche in all caps is a bit more insulting than mentioning the possibility the player just be a crybaby. I think Morrus may have just slightly misread Noctem's post (same thing happened to me a little while back) and confused the statement for Noctem specifically saying this DM was a douche. Of course, given Noctem's posts, it is not too far a stretch to take this as meaning that in this case they are indirectly saying the DM is a douche, through the underlying sentiment of "this is what the players trust the DM to do, this DM has violated that trust." Argh, playing both sides in an argument is hard, especially when I'm trying not to offend anyone.

EDIT, because apparently my auto correct thinks I am on a Theater Forum, and changed Player to Playwright.

I am slighted sir/madam by your tarnishing of my fair reputation upon these boards!

Know that I shall meet thee at sunrise upon the hill at Fort Fred on the overmorrow of the celebration of Easter. There we shall resolve our differences with pistols at dawn!

ThirdWizard

First Post
Or perhaps just the biggest crybaby.

One can care about the outcome of a game ( be invested) and still not pay attention during play.

A grownup would be able to see the connection between lax attention and poor outcomes and correct the problem.

A child would throw a tantrum believing themselves entitled to favorable outcomes regardless of effort.

I just want to point out we don't know the age of the players and DM in question. They could be 12, they could be in their 50s. If they're young, they might not handle things like adults. Perhaps it's because I post on reddit/dnd a lot, but you see a lot of young people getting into the hobby, and it is important to know that a wide range of people play the game. I wouldn't assume age like this, nor calling people children as an insult when they may, in fact, be children.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Claiming that trusting the DM of a game (any DM in this case) not to be a douche should be par for the course vs calling the creator of the thread a douche are two different things. I did the former and not the latter.

And now you've confused "not arguing with moderation in-thread" with "arguing with moderation in-thread". Please do not post in the thread again.

Lanliss

Explorer
I am slighted sir/madam by your tarnishing of my fair reputation upon these boards!

Know that I shall meet thee at sunrise upon the hill at Fort Fred on the overmorrow of the celebration of Easter. There we shall resolve our differences with pistols at dawn!

I am a Sir, thank ye very much, but must decline your duel. As I live in a facsimile of the medieval ages, I bear no pistol. If it slighted you to mention your emotional responses to the issue at hand, I apologize. I am but a simple Gnome and meant no offense.

Remove ads