WotC Was just one D&D book announced at D&D Live 2020?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It would certainly explain why they seem to be sitting on Dragonlance, which is still one of their settings with the biggest draw.
I think that Dragonlance isn't coming anytime soon. The old settings that seem to have the most draw are:
  1. Planescape
  2. Dark Sun
  3. Spelljammer
  4. Dragonlance
I don't think Greyhawk will truly come to 5e anytime soon, and neither will Mystara or Council of Wyrms.

My guess for this year is Planescape. Dark Sun is next, and then some more Magic: the Gathering settings. (Innistrad, Ixalan, Zendikar, so on)

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Even combined, I don't believe the three platforms' sales come anywhere close to what the hardback will sell like.

During a global pandemic where record-high numbers of people are playing online, during a global recession where the digital book version is half the price of the hardcover, and when the digital version is released over a month earlier than the hardcover, I expect the digital sales to be very competitive with the numbers for the hardcover - moreso than any WotC release so far.

Asgorath

Explorer
I try to stay away from all the Twitter garbage, so if information does not appear on a more reliable site, like this one, I am not going to read anything about it.

That's why I linked the relevant information about Lysa Penrose's contract being up in July, so you'd have all the relevant information. I'm almost certain that Satine posted something similar about her contract ending about a year ago.

Just because they're posting about it on Twitter doesn't mean it isn't true, especially as, you know, a social media manager for WOTC.

Asgorath

Explorer
Even better:

Right here on ENWorld, Morrus posted:

"For those who want to work at Wizards of the Coast, there's a new job opportunity opening up. Current Community Manager Satine Phoenix's contract expires this month, and the spot has opened up for applications."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Which person and what stream?

I'm kind of curious that when Welch first mentioned her project, it was actually in extremely early stages and and they were just accepting submissions of adventures... explaining why there's been so little news on it.
Is that so ? What stream was it on? I don't know how I could have missed it

I didn't see the stream (all the streams were during my work), but I saw someone Menton in one of the threads here they had asked one of the participants about it via Twitch, and got a vague but positive answer from one of the participants. Sorry for the lack of detail, but the threads were pretty hopping and I can't find it right now.

You don't believe what Lysa is saying because she's saying it on twitter?

I barely even know who she is, and since I rarely use Twitter, I would never even see that without someone sharing it here. I only follow the official D&D Twitter account and Jeremy Crawford's, so if someone does not post about it somewhere else, of if neither of those two retweet it, I will never see it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
During a global pandemic where record-high numbers of people are playing online, during a global recession where the digital book version is half the price of the hardcover, and when the digital version is released over a month earlier than the hardcover, I expect the digital sales to be very competitive with the numbers for the hardcover - moreso than any WotC release so far.
I suspect Theros will be the most successful digital release they've had, other than the core books, but Roll20 and Fantasy Grounds have a pretty big learning curve, even before you get to the cost element.

If you're right, though, WotC will let us know and probably make some digital strategy changes as a result.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think that Dragonlance isn't coming anytime soon. The old settings that seem to have the most draw are:
  1. Planescape
  2. Dark Sun
  3. Spelljammer
  4. Dragonlance
I don't think Greyhawk will truly come to 5e anytime soon, and neither will Mystara or Council of Wyrms.

My guess for this year is Planescape. Dark Sun is next, and then some more Magic: the Gathering settings. (Innistrad, Ixalan, Zendikar, so on)
The difference between Dragonlance and those other settings is that you will find very few people who are Planescape, Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Greyhawk, Mystara or Council of Wyrms fans who aren't D&D fans.

There is a whole separate pool of people who are Dragonlance fans who only have a loose connection to D&D and may not have returned to play 5E since there's no Dragonlance book available. (And WotC clearly thought about them, since the kender were a halfling sub-race, I believe, during the D&D Next phase.)

I mean, yeah, a lot of us will be excited to see some or all of those other settings be updated for 5E. But there's not a significant amount of folks sitting back and saying "yeah, I'd like to play 5E, BUT NOT IF THERE'S NO SPELLJAMMER!" (Yes, I concede right now, someone will say their cousin is that guy. I mean, other than your cousin.)

Remove ads