Water, water everywhere, Nor any drop to drink

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
I don't like charging people sight unseen. I want them to know what they're getting, which is the big complaint regarding paid-only material rather than PWYW.

There are LOTS of other full classes and class options in the Guild. Many are doing quite well. Still no warlords. If there was a huge buzz and demand for a warlord class, someone would have made one. Because it would be satisfying the needs of the fanbase and making money and helping that designer make a name.

There were quite a few attempts at a warlord early in the life of 5e, but most seem to have barely made it out of the conceptual stage. Few people took the time to really finish the class, and no one has bothered to put it on the Guild after two months.

WotC gets all the blame for the lack of warlord at launch. The warlord fans get the blame for the lack of warlord now.

Don't look at me, I started working on my Warlord substitute one year before the release and finished it one year after launch, and it has shown up in En5ider so it is not good for DMsG ever. I could possibly rush into a quick straight port changing the names, but that way is not that ethical. -And yes, porting the warlord is quite hard and time consuming, I wouldn't expect a good class to showup until at least one year of DMsG, and well I missed the mark with mine.

If the class had been the Mage, it would have been easy to have a level 1 feature called "Sorcery" or "Wizardry" that determines book or blood, casting stat, and the like. All that would be separate from the class and instead folded into the choice. Like how warlorcks picks both a patron and pact. Spell Mastery and Signature Spell would need to be reworded, but mechanically they'd function unchained. And, since there'd be less need to differentiate the wizard and sorcerer classes, metamagic could still be an option for both.

That way, you could also have a binder Mage, or a sha'ir, or defiler and make them slightly different in terms of spellcasting stat and knowing spells without reducing things to just a school or having to make a new class.

I said Wizard as is in this edition. Can you produce a wizard subclass that covers the sorcerer that does justice to the concept? (Non-voluntary and possibly ignorant approach to magic, magic as part of you instead of as a tool) Can it cover everything the sorcerer class in 5e covers?

The Mage could have been but it isn't. Just like the playtest fighter could have been but isn't. So it isn't relevant to what we can do with subclasses in 5e. (And the playtest mage was basically still the wizard we got, down to spell mastery and arcane recovery. It would have only produced second rate warlocks and sorcerers for no benefit beyond giving wizards more toys) And yes I say that no wizard/mu/mage ever on any D&D edition and D20 can cover the sorcerer. Except the M20 mage, but that is truly generic and open ended.

I said Wizard as is in this edition. Can you produce a wizard subclass that covers the sorcerer that does justice to the concept?
That's changing the goalpost since it's moving from what you can do with 5th Edition design as a whole to what I can do with an existing class.

Still... maybe.
The difference between a 3e wizard and sorcerer was primarily their spellcasting. It wouldn't take much to change schools to subclasses and have an alternate form of casting like the spell point system in the DMG.
But that's cheating slightly as it's a mix of subclass and rules module. But it's not unheard of for subclasses to modify a feature, so a sorcerer subclass could modify the wizard features. It'd be clumsy and awkward, but doable.

The wizard and sorcerer differ on a couple key elements: primary stat (Int vs Cha) and how they cast spells. But they're pretty darn similar. And neither really has iconic class features beyond spells that reliable appear through the game. It's not like I'd have to work around armour/weapon proficiency, hit dice, etc.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
That's changing the goalpost since it's moving from what you can do with 5th Edition design as a whole to what I can do with an existing class.

Still... maybe.
The difference between a 3e wizard and sorcerer was primarily their spellcasting. It wouldn't take much to change schools to subclasses and have an alternate form of casting like the spell point system in the DMG.
But that's cheating slightly as it's a mix of subclass and rules module. But it's not unheard of for subclasses to modify a feature, so a sorcerer subclass could modify the wizard features. It'd be clumsy and awkward, but doable.

The wizard and sorcerer differ on a couple key elements: primary stat (Int vs Cha) and how they cast spells. But they're pretty darn similar. And neither really has iconic class features beyond spells that reliable appear through the game. It's not like I'd have to work around armour/weapon proficiency, hit dice, etc.

I swear I didn't move them, I said

Me said:
There is no room in the fighter for the warlord as we want it. (Just like there is no room on the wizard for the sorcerer and never has been)

Not "could never be", only "never has been". And with this two classes that are so similar, it is impossible to just fold one into the other using a subclass (not without the awkward and ugly "I'm a wizard until i become a sorcerer" ). With a warlord and fighter this is even worse. (And no cheating, only using the subclass and nothing else. That is what all those Warlord subclasses do.)

Tony Vargas

Legend
That's equating all things of a class because they're a class. Which is overly simplistic.
It's not complicated, but it is critically important. A player is free to choose any class. There's no requirements gating superior or advanced classes. In the process of character generation, all classes are equivalent, in that you get to choose any one in place of any other.

You don't need to explain "human" as much as "dragonborn" despite both being races, because everyone knows what the former is.
You don't need fluff on humans as much as fluff on elves as much as fluff on dragonborn. But the mechanics do need model each of those races, and they do.

Batman and Superman are both fantastic characters. Ditto Thor and Captain America. But I hold Cap and Batman to very different standards than Thor and Superman despite both being part of the same genre. If I'm reading a comic or watching a movie and Batman lifts a car that's going to take me out of the moment because, as cool as Batman is, he shouldn't be able to lift a car.
No one's asking you to do that. Whether you can lift a car is a function of STR. Batman & Superman would both have defined STR scores, and they'd be very different. But, Batman can also do an awful lot of things that ordinary, RL people just can't, and he can do things reliable, in the heat of battle, that even really exceptional RL life people struggle to do twice in a row even under ideal conditions - and things that are just flat out impossible, really, including a lot of his technology. They're both comic book characters, and we hold them to the same standard of superheroes in a comic book.

Okay, Batman can push the limits. There's some give and Batman can do things that wouldn't fly on Mythbusters. But there's a line where things just move from incredible to implausible.
Probably not worth it to split that particular hair, but Batman crosses that line routinely, IMHO.

Fighters *need* to be limited by reality, because we all know what reality is.
Do you live in the Forgotten Realms? No. You have no idea what 'reality' is like there. Fighters /can't/ be limited to RL reality, because they are in an heroic fantasy game. They can be held to genre conventions, sure, but, to be fair, it'd have to be to the same degree the game holds casters to genre conventions - and that's not a very restrictive degree.

The heroic nature of D&D characters varies from edition to edition and level to level. And D&D has almost always been a flexible that has been molded into a variety of campaigns and tones.
And 5e's goals was to cover a broader range of such styles and tones, closer to the sum of what prior editions had done. It's not there yet, but it's covered 2e & 3.x fairly well, and isn't far off from the rest of the classic game. The addition of the Warlord would further build on that success.

Nope. You totally don't.
If only because there's no way to define all the potential actions a player might attempt in combat.
Defining what a character can do, and defining each thing they could do are very different things. 5e already has an open-ended DM-Empowering system for covering what anyone might do (ability checks), and what some might do a bit better (proficiencies). That's covered. It's the exceptional things, the class abilities that need to be defined in more detail, and they can be reasonably finite. (The precedent in 5e is up to around a hundred or so things per class.)

What you describe is a rule heavy system then.
D&D is and always has been quite rules-heavy. 5e may be light on supplements, but it's rules are still substantial. ;)

The best design space IMHO is maneuvers, because you can make the option better.
Nod, as far as they go. Maneuvers are, based on the design of the BM, limited to things it'd be reasonable for a 3rd level character to do. Even as the minor sideline that maneuvers for a BM or spells for an EK go, that's a little meh (EK's at least work their way up to spells a 7th level character could cast).

'Maneuver' is sure a better label than 'power' or 'exploit,' though. ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
I'm still somewhat curious why people think fighters should be the base class of a warlord. What does the fighter base class get that applies to a warlord.
Weapon Proficiencies. Second Wind in an academic sense, I suppose, since it's somewhat similar in concept to Inspiring Word. Arguably, 3-4 maneuvers from the BM.

See, in 5e, your base class supplies most of your character's niche. The things your character is most likely doing most of the time.
Sure. For the Fighter, that's standing tough and dishing out damage - or dancing around and dishing out damage, if he's the DEX type. For the Warlord it's inspiration, tactics, resourcefulness, 'leadership' &c, mostly modeled in D&D by support functions - hp recovery, defensive buffs/damage mitigation, offensive buffs, condition mitigation, etc. The Fighter chassis has none of that, the BM a trick or two that it does poorly and only infrequently.

Sub-classes modify this of course, but, your sub-class abilities don't come up as often as your class niche abilities. The Battlemaster has limited superiority dice - he simply can't spam them every round.
It's like the EK that way - dabbling.

So, trying to make a Warlord a sub-class of a Battlemaster is basically making a sub-class of a sub-class. Meaning that it's very, very far from its niche.
So far other sub-classes have lifted the BM's CS dice, so a sub-class could do that, and not be a sub-sub-class, just a sub-class that's similar to an existing one (and it's not like that never happens).

Now, most of that in no way actually applies to a warlord. Warlords never had all armours - they were limited to medium armours.
Nod, not that it's as significant in 5e, where you can (finally!) easily go DEX- or STR- based by choice of gear, rather than needing a whole 'nuther class just to be viable with lighter armor.
Fighting style? Ok, fair enough, all the "fighty types" get this, so, I can see a warlord having it.
None of the extant fighting styles are terribly warlordy, though.
Action Surge?
More DPR, nothing the Warlord needs any more than every other non-fighter class.
Bonus Feats?
Strictly a nod to 3e, but there is Inspiring Leader.
Indomitable?
Nearly trivial though it is, sure, it fits heroic warriors of many stripes quite well, the Warlord, who got a bonus to WILL in 4e, particularly so.
Why? None of that applies to a warlord at all.
Well, /most/ of it doesn't apply.
Even the third and fourth attacks from being a fighter in no way apply.
I don't even think the second attack is all that critical. Extra Attack is a big, positively problematic feature that locks you into DPR. Terribly inappropriate. Maybe give more than one ally an attack, or a Hammer & Anvil type maneuver, to let the both Warlord and Ally attack the same target, and not at-will.

Any Warlord based on a fighter chassis is totally missing the point. Just because a class uses a sword and does some fighting doesn't make it a fighter.
The Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, War Cleric, and even Bladesinger, for instance.

I'm still somewhat curious why people think fighters should be the base class of a swashbuckler. What does the fighter base class get that applies to a swashbuckler?
Weapon Proficiency, Combat Style, Extra Attack, Action Surge, most of the BM's maneuvers, the Champion's improved crit & remarkable athlete... certainly. The Swashbuckler is a positively frenetic combatant. Second Wind & Indomitable are arguable.

See, in 5e, your base class supplies most of your character's niche. The things your character is most likely doing most of the time.
Sure. For the Fighter, that's standing tough and dishing out damage - or dancing around and dishing out damage, if he's the DEX type. For the Swashbuckler it's, well, dancing around and dishing out damage, actually, with some seduction, stealth, acrobatics, and general knavery in the other pillars.

Of course, there are Swashbucklers like Jack Sparrow, tricky opportunists, not always the best combatants, and Swashbucklers like Inigo Montoya, who are deadly duelists through-and-through.

The Battlemaster has limited superiority dice - he simply can't spam them every round.
It's like the EK that way - dabbling.
So, trying to make a Swashbuckler a sub-class of a Battlemaster is basically making a sub-class of a sub-class. Meaning that it's very, very far from its niche.
So far other sub-classes have lifted the BM's CS dice, so a sub-class could do that, and not be a sub-sub-class, just a sub-class that's similar to an existing one (and it's not like that never happens).

Now, most of that in no way actually applies to a swashbuckler. Swashbucklers never had all armours - they were limited to light armours.
Nod, not that it's as significant in 5e, where you can (finally!) easily go DEX- or STR- based by choice of gear, rather than needing a whole 'nuther class just to be viable with lighter armor.
Fighting style? Ok, fair enough, all the "fighty types" get this, so, I can see a swashbuckler having it.
Especially Dueling, yes. Or TWFing.
Action Surge? Bonus Feats?
Big-time. Swashbucklers are very active flamboyant martial artists. Action Surge fits perfectly. And some extra feats would help with that, certainly, though they're not as big a deal as they're made out to be.
Indomitable?
Maybe not so much, while any hero might be strong-willed, Swashbucklers tend to be more tricky and agile - maybe re-brand the feature to work with different saves?
Why? None of that applies to a swashbuckler at all.
Seems like most of it does.
Even the third and fourth attacks from being a fighter in no way apply.
Seem pretty applicable for a deadly duelist who also takes on multiple foes from time to time. Think Inigo Montoya wouldn't have Extra Attack?

Any swashbuckler based on a fighter chassis is totally missing the point. Just because a class uses a sword and does some fighting doesn't make it a fighter.
The Paladin, Ranger, Rogue, War Cleric, and even Bladesinger, for instance.

Then again, the Swashbuckler mostly fights, and typically quite independently - in boarding actions, in duels, on rooftops, wherever he can find someone to cross swords with, really, even a friend will do in a pinch.

The main reason the Swashbuckler was given a PrC or kicked to Rogue in the past was that the system made being viable as a melee combatant in light/no armor a matter of class features, and Fighters weren't given those features. In 5e, light armor & high DEX are perfectly viable choices for a fighter (or any melee combatant, really).

Of course, the other reason was skills, the Swashbuckler was, like most heroes the fighter fails to model well, often a positive paragon or renaissance man - an daring acrobat, a capable navigator, a stealthy infiltrator, a master of disguise, a dashing beau, a clever negotiator, and on and on. Past fighters fall far short of that, 5e fighters do, too (heck any class but the Rogue and spell-casting Bard probably falls short), but Backgrounds help. You can make a Swashbuckler who is a criminal, or seaman, or a prince, for instance, and has a couple of skills to back that up.

But he'll always be shown up by the Rogue with Expertise in the same skill(s).

(It also works for archers, dervishes, samurai, etc.)
Sure, the Fighter works great for any concept that calls multi-attacking DPR, general high-end toughness, and little else. Archers don't even really need the toughness, you could make the case that features like Second Wind and d10 HD are redundant for them.

The Fighter doesn't work so well for concepts that don't call for either.

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Umm [MENTION=37579]Jester Canuck[/MENTION], Swashbucklers in 5e are NOT covered by fighters. They're a rogue subclass. How does this help your point?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Umm [MENTION=37579]Jester Canuck[/MENTION], Swashbucklers in 5e are NOT covered by fighters. They're a rogue subclass. How does this help your point?
Something to do with the Rogue having the Mastermind archetype in the same supplement, perhaps?

Last edited:

The subclass of that name is a rogue. But a duelling battle master fighter built for mobility or parrying fills the archetype nicely.

Remove ads