• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Waterborne Adventures: New from Unearthed Arcana

I, for one, am very pleased with the different options for existing classes over completely different classes. I don't really have an balance thoughts. Balance isn't an issue with me unless it's incredibly flagrant.

I, for one, am very pleased with the different options for existing classes over completely different classes.

I don't really have an balance thoughts. Balance isn't an issue with me unless it's incredibly flagrant.

Fralex

Explorer
I think I'd prefer that it cause disadvantage to all attack rolls except attack rolls made against the swashbuckler. (Disad on all attacks strikes me as possibly unbalanced.) Then the swashbuckler's various maneuvering abilities come in handy, as the swashbuckler strikes and moves, finding ways to keep the opponent from successfully attacking him.

Yeah, there are a few variations on the idea. I settled on "give disadvantage on attacks against anyone" because the ability costs you an action and I wanted to make it more reliable. Rogues have several abilities for mitigating damage, but nothing that helps them avoid it altogether, so I was worried it would be too difficult to successfully avoid attacks every turn. But maybe I'm overestimating the value of an action. I'll have to see how it plays.

Xantherion

First Post
Ok i want the other elemental sorcerers now. I like how they did this one.

I love how they are giving us this type of crunch on a regular basis.

Ooh, here's an idea...

It causes the enemy to suffer disadvantage on attacks against everyone save the swashbuckler... But on each subsequent round, it only lasts if the swashbuckler

A) Repeats the action, which--while doable--gets boring; or

B) Makes a melee attack against the target.

This way, it keeps the swashbuckler involved, and it encourages use of the swashbuckler's mobility powers. He has to keep sweeping in and out, sticking and moving, to maintain the benefit he's granting his allies. :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
Initial impression: Hot Damn. This is what i'm talking about.

Next impression: what they need even more than this are new monsters and new adventures - that would make me an even happier camper. But this is the kind of content that gives options to use.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
I do like the unearthed arcana articles, but I am really irritated about thefact, that new races only have a combined +2 to ability scores instead of +3 like most races of the PHB...

I am also not very enthusiastic about the swashbuckler rogue. The ability to always use sneak attack in melee as well as the panache ability is causing me headaches. A one minute dominate with no means of escape (and nearly no means to resist, if you consider the rogue will have at least a +10 bonus on that check). Being 60 feet away is too much... a normal character can´t close the distance and the rogue can attack and escape 60 ft again.
The ability needs the condition, that if you are attacked by a rogue´s ally, it is automatically broken, and you need at least a chance to escape.
Also the ability is at will... so the rogue can keep it up forever... should I go on?

I think the charm effect of panache is probably OP, unless the DM imposes a negative effect (like the friends cantrip) on a failed attempt. I think the taunt should last 1 round, not 1 minute.

I very much like the 3rd level fancy footwork. That should have been the default for the rogue class. I suspect I will substitute that for the other rogue movement ability they get at 3rd, whatever it's called (I dislike disengage in general, and bonus action hide, very much).

Last edited by a moderator:

Larac

First Post
Here is another new 9th Level Ability
Starting at 9th level, you have advantage on saving throws against poison and have resistance to poison damage. Additionally, you can use one of your poultices to cure one poison effect on the creature you are applying it to, in addition to restoring hit points.

Pretty good but only against one type of Damage.

Seems fair.

Then we have Panache,
Panache
At 9th level, your charm becomes as sharp and dangerous as your blade.
As an action, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by a creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check.
The creature must be able to hear you, and the two of you must share a language.
If you succeed on the check and the creature is hostile, it must target you with any attacks it makes and cannot willingly move farther away from you.

This effect lasts for 1 minute or until you move more than 60 feet away from the target.

If you succeed on the check and the creature is not hostile, it is charmed by you for 1 minute.
While charmed, it regards you as a friendly acquaintance.

Both have 2 Effects.

Panache just seems way more bang.

Example:
Hallway single door.
Fighter Blocks entrance, either side of him 5 feet back two PCs.
Then at the end Swashbuckler, Panache Target in door.
Target has to push through 3 PCs to attack, otherwise just stands and gets hit, as target can not move away.

Gets worse and looks like a MMO Kite with Swashbuckler running a wide circle while the rest of the party uses,
ranged attacks and even melee when the Target is close enough.
Or Running the Target by PCs so they get OA on it.
Sure it can stop running but still not attack.

Really odd ability.

Placing it on Standby until I get a better hand on it, for my game.

spinozajack

Banned
Banned
This has not been my experience in play. The flat +2 damage is quite effective as is, whether or not a shield is used.

1d8 + 2 has the same average damage as a 1d12 weapon, ignoring crits for a moment. But without using the extra hand for anything, it's a weakness. Effectively, in dollars and cents, duelist is a greataxe + shield combo. Whereas a greataxe + great weapon fighting does barely more damage than the greataxe alone. And the greatsword, despite being over a point and a half ahead, can't really compete with +2 AC in any real way.

The way they balanced great weapons was therefore through the great weapon master feat. Seem familiar? Using feats to properly balance the base game maths without feats is something users kept telling them they hated. Reminds me of expertise. I think duelist is simply way overpowered compared to other weapons in basic D&D, and conversely great weapon master is overpowered if using feats. That's my take, anyway.

Remove ads

Remove ads