WotBS Wayfarer's Theater questions

simonf

Explorer
Questions about the battle.

1. Is rigging difficult terrain? (I suspect so)

2. Isn't this battle too easy, even with the barrels and potions? Especially when Giorgio is busy, there are only three not very powerful enemies
against a likely rested Level 5 party. And if Giorgio joins the battle, his desk ritual is interrupted. It feels like I can easily add two more Setaleses.
Am I missing some clever tactics? Even using in-world logic, the enemies should have brought more firepower for such an important mission.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Tormyr

Adventurer
1. It probably should not be difficult terrain for anyone with a sailor or Wayfarer's background.
2. Is this the 5e version? If so, it is actually suggested that the party be level 6 going into the fight. Giorgio does not have to be inactive; he just has to stay at the desk. Bardic inspiration and shatter will work just fine. It is a Hard fight, but one the heroes should be able to swing fairly quickly. That is good, because they have a long night ahead of them.

simonf

Explorer
My first group finally went through this battle, and indeed it was quite hard.
The strong wind swept away flying familiars who rolled terribly, Nira almost killed the rogue (fitting), and only my careless suggestion ("get away from the fight" instead of "stay away from the fight") saved the party from losing the paladin. I'm actually worried about whether they can survive tomb now...

Tormyr

Adventurer
They can take a short rest, and the Lyceum and Sheena can provide healing to get them back to full. If it looks like it will be too difficult, you can drop one or more of the later encounters by one difficulty level.

simonf

Explorer
Right, I won't let the group die unless there's a good reason for it, but I don't think I fully communicated the danger.
I played off Lee's disappearance as unexplained, and as far as they know, they are looking for him to help control the storm.

Amusing side note: in my second group, which just got to Lyceum in the start of chapter 3, the druid, for no apparent reason, decided to cast Druidcraft to get the weather forecast. Instead of a tiny weather effect, he got a mini-storm cloud that trashed half the shop he was in. It was not technically correct because Druidcraft is only supposed to tell you about the next 24 hours, but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

Tormyr

Adventurer
Well, once they get to the bottom of the prison, their opinions might change. :LOL:

It really sounds like the reveal is going to be great, and the weather forecast. . . well done. :)

Remove ads