Pathfinder 2E Wayne Reynolds Shares Guns & Gears Art

Artist Wayne Reynolds has shared the full cover art for Guns & Gears, the upcoming Pathfinder...

Artist Wayne Reynolds has shared the full cover art for Guns & Gears, the upcoming Pathfinder hardcover.

The artwork for Guns & Gears (Pathfinder RPG) was previewed at PaizoCon over the weekend. Sized; 29.7cm x 36cm / "12 x "16. Acrylic on artboard. Publishing copyright Paizo Inc. Art editor; Sarah Robinson. NFS

A385ED04-AEFC-4035-842C-334835422BC6.jpeg

imagineGod

Legend
I know Fire Giants are in the Wizards of the Coast System Reference Document (originally in the d20 SRD under Giant, Fire). But is the artistic rendition also interchangeable across different companies, that Paizo to use what D&D first imagined? I mean they both worked with Wayne Reynolds to draw their fire giants (left is the D&D Eberron art and right is the Paizo Pathfinder 2nd Edition).

wayne_reynolds_eberron_vs_pathfinder.jpg

From the d20 SRD that became the basis of Pathfinder
1622582380207.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I know Fire Giants are in the Wizards of the Coast System Reference Document (originally in the d20 SRD under Giant, Fire). But is the artistic rendition also interchangeable across different companies, that Paizo to use what D&D first imagined? I mean they both worked with Wayne Reynolds to draw their fire giants (left is the D&D Eberron art and right is the Paizo Pathfinder 2nd Edition).
Flame-haired giant. It's in the name. Does it matter? 🤷

imagineGod

Legend
Flame-haired giant. It's in the name. Does it matter? 🤷
For a consumer, not really. But in terms of intellectual property, just wanted some clarity in terms of artistic representation, obviously, avoiding Beholders, but those monsters in the SRD, since their art is not in the SRD, does that mean the art can still be copied almost identically from D&D products? Notice the bracers too are very similar in both images.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For a consumer, not really. But in terms of intellectual property, just wanted some clarity in terms of artistic representation, obviously, avoiding Beholders, but those monsters in the SRD, since their art is not in the SRD, does that mean the art can still be copied almost identically from D&D products? Notice the bracers too are very similar in both images.
I’m sure Paizo’s lawyers will be in contact with you imminently.

imagineGod

Legend
Not to be too pedantic, the original art was from a Wizards of the Coast product years before a similar appearance in a Paizo product.

I am not a lawyer, but thought this was an interesting thing to collect thoughts about, especially from experienced third party D&D publishers here, who already have products using the D&D 5e OGL.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I hate it when I'm climbing an 80 foot wooden beam in a fire giant's workshop and I get attacked. It's only slightly better when the giant is using an improvised weapon.

Remove ads

Remove ads