• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ways to hurt yourself

kerbarian

Explorer
As a warlock (Warlock|Swordmage, actually), what are good ways to hurt yourself to trigger the extra Hellish Rebuke damage? I'm not looking for nonsensical tricks, just things you might legitimately do in combat that also happen to hurt you.

For example, the best I've found is a Bloodclaw weapon. Due to the swordmage hybrid, it can be used as an implement, and then its power can be used on the next attack after Hellish Rebuke to trigger the extra damage.

Another one I've heard of is using Ethereal Stride to teleport yourself up in the air and take falling damage. That's the kind of trick I'm not interested in.

I can think of a few more possibilities, but they don't seem like very good solutions:

• The Sacrifice to Caiphon feat lets you take damage when you miss with a warlock encounter power.
  • A number of warlock daily powers from Dragon 382 allow you to take damage if you miss.
  • He could multiclass wizard and eventually take the Blood Mage PP (since he has Int as a half-swordmage). Bolstering Blood would trigger the extra damage, but it could only be used with Blood Mage powers.
Are there any other ways to damage yourself in combat?

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Boots of Caiphon gives you an at-will shift that daamges you, but they are mid Epic, so may be a bit higher level than you are looking for.

Another one I've heard of is using Ethereal Stride to teleport yourself up in the air and take falling damage. That's the kind of trick I'm not interested in.

Doing it like this is lame. Tell your DM this instead:
I teleport and reappear behind my enemy 10ft. above the ground (1d10 falling damage) and as I fall down I use that extra momentum to smite down my enemy <use a some cool weapon power>. Done.

Remove ads