D&D (2024) We’ll be merging the One D&D and D&D forums shortly

Kurotowa

Legend
What are all the major changes to 5.5?
We don't know yet. Not everything was tested through UA, and not everything from UA is going to make it in. But it looks like most of the changes to the PHB are top level mechanics; altering spells, class features, that sort of thing. The middle level changes are things like slightly adjusting the mechanics of Hide and Grapple. There are no core system changes that I'm aware of. Unlike 3.5 they're not adding or removing entire skills, nor are they changing what the action types are.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
It will cause confusion because many people don't follow d&d news closely or even at all. You will have 5e users walk in looking for 5e stuff, see d&d 2024 and ignore it because it isn't 5e.
Not really, no: WotC isn't even talking about it as 2024, they are juat calling it D&D, period. And clearly signaling backwards compatability in a way that will avoid confusion for moat current customers. It's a revision of the modern ruleset.
That doesn't apply. How publishing uses the term does not equate to how d&d uses it. There are only 5 editions, regardless of how the publishing industry technically uses the term.
Who says it doesn't apply? Neither TSR nor WotC were ever clear nor consistent, and currently SotC is simply walking away from the concept entirely.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Yep. The core problem with releasing a popular edition that lots of people like is that "you like what you have, so let's change it into something new!" AND "you like what you have, so let's just slightly change it!" aren't great selling points.

It's why my consistent argument against the new books is that the proper approach should have been a standalone expansion, so the argument for buying it is "you like what you have, so here's MORE of it!"
More $$. You gotta buy the books both physical and on Beyond.

It will cause confusion because many people don't follow d&d news closely or even at all. You will have 5e users walk in looking for 5e stuff, see d&d 2024 and ignore it because it isn't 5e.
Ok. I really want to see those who are easily confused by that. And not by 5.5e.

I really think you are out of touch with the young generation.
But I could also be wrong. Now I want to test it on my School D&D* club and ask them what confuses them more...

*we refer to it as D&D club or just roleplaying club. I wonder if they were confused all the last 5 years... I ask them if we should rename it to 5e club.

But mybe our 5e class gets confused then...

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
I believe most gamers will not think about the ”edition”-definition.

New covers will be the most dramatic change for them.
Until they look inside and see the entirely re-written text. The new art might matter a lot to them too. People tell me they base purchasing decisions on that.

Maggan

Writer for CY_BORG, Forbidden Lands and Dragonbane
Until they look inside and see the entirely re-written text. The new art might matter a lot to them too. People tell me they base purchasing decisions on that.
Yeah but will they be confused? I think it is more likely that they will think "hey, they refreshed the look" rather than "I am so confused."

I believe that most of the players aren't as invested in the game as we are, and thus this is not such a big thing for them.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yeah but will they be confused? I think it is more likely that they will think "hey, they refreshed the look" rather than "I am so confused."

I believe that most of the players aren't as invested in the game as we are, and thus this is not such a big thing for them.
Does that make them more or less likely to replace their books with new ones?

Remove ads