We figured out what d12's are for!

Morte

Explorer
I wish to defend the humble d12.

It provides an ideal compromise between not-flying-off-at-right-angles-all-the-bloody-time-like-d6s and not-having-faces-too-small-to-see-like-d20s. It is the prince of dice.

* goes off to design a d12 dice pool game *

shilsen

Adventurer
Just remembered one use which might be unique:

I'm teaching a class on European drama this semester which has only 12 students. I do a fair amount of performance-oriented activities and since I usually have only the same people volunteer, I started bringing a d12 to class and rolling it to decide who gets to perform :D

RandomPrecision

First Post
If you don't have use for d12's, you're not playing with enough undead in your campaign. :(

Just be glad you have them - I've played D&D with all d6's before. d2 and d3 rolls are easy enough to simulate, and d6's can obviously be done, but d4's need two simulated d2 rolls (if you get 4,5,6 on one, add 2 to the other one, where 1,2,3=1 and 4,5,6=2), d8's require three simulated d2 rolls (as before, but another die adds 4 to the last roll if you get a 4,5,6), d10's require a sim d2 roll to add 5, and another d6 roll that gets rerolled on a 6, and d20 rolls are like d10's, but with another die that adds 10 on a 4,5,6. Sort of like before, d100's are just two d10 rolls. Doing anything with this system tends to take forever, since I was the only person who remembered which dice to roll, and what the results meant.

Tolen Mar

First Post
RandomPrecision said:
If you don't have use for d12's, you're not playing with enough undead in your campaign. :(

Just be glad you have them - I've played D&D with all d6's before. d2 and d3 rolls are easy enough to simulate, and d6's can obviously be done, but d4's need two simulated d2 rolls (if you get 4,5,6 on one, add 2 to the other one, where 1,2,3=1 and 4,5,6=2), d8's require three simulated d2 rolls (as before, but another die adds 4 to the last roll if you get a 4,5,6), d10's require a sim d2 roll to add 5, and another d6 roll that gets rerolled on a 6, and d20 rolls are like d10's, but with another die that adds 10 on a 4,5,6. Sort of like before, d100's are just two d10 rolls. Doing anything with this system tends to take forever, since I was the only person who remembered which dice to roll, and what the results meant.

So you simulate a D2, and a d6...add in a plus.....*head explodes*

mark_j

First Post
D12 is for those that do not play D20.

For example:

1st edition Fighter strikes an Ogre (or any large sized opponent) with his longsword (very common weapon). Damage = 1d12.

We use the d12 very often in our AD&D sessions for this very reason.

Telas

Explorer
RandomPrecision said:
Just be glad you have them - I've played D&D with all d6's before.

(snip)

Doing anything with this system tends to take forever, since I was the only person who remembered which dice to roll, and what the results meant.

... and your character never died, did he? :p

Funny how that works.

Telas

Impeesa

Explorer
Flyspeck23 said:
Neat idea.
Although our group uses transparent dice boxes for this :cool:

We do the same thing. I like it because you can easily have one character hovering over another. :)

--Impeesa--

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Mercule said:
*sigh* I miss playing Blood Bowl.

While I was convalescing after my auto accident, a friend from Oregon sent me a "cheering up" package. Along with cool snacks from the Chinatown area, there was a 1e Deities and Demigods (not the Melnibonean/Cthulhu version, though), The Complete Book of Eldritch Might, The Planar Handbook, the 1e "Marvelous Magic" book, and an original Blood Bowl game with all the pieces! Now, if I just had someone to play it with!

Remove ads