• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
Those are app-store-levels of royalties. They really do think they can create a walled garden.

Since this is being managed through D&D Beyond, I requested my account be deleted. I do not trust WotC not to pull something sneaky.
Can you explain your thinking here a bit more? I'm trying to stay on top of these developments, in part as a very frequent user of DDB.
You know who that royalty hurts? Not just publishers, but all of those freelancers. Lose 25% of your gross sales?* When margins are already thin? Can't afford to hire freelancers any longer. But hey! Here's this thing called MidJourney and ChatAI....

Ugh..
My brain just exploded a bit. What an incredibly awful "perfect storm" that would be.

You know how they'll enforce it though, they'll ignore stuff that you or I would consider "blatantly racist", but then crack down hard on something LGBTQ+ because it was too "sexualized" or whatever.
This is demonstrable false. We have a 347 page thread on this forum that details how aggressively WotC has gone after "blatantly racist" stuff. Including significant legal action that actually states one reason they are looking to shut down this "publisher" is because of the blatantly racist content.

Ondath

Hero
If this is true, I am not buying anything Hasbro ever again. All their stuff is in the impulse buy category, not enough money to really think about it, not important enough to actually need. Well, that just changed.
Same. I have expressed displeasure at WotC in several occasions but that was just due to me no longer being the kind of player they're targeting. This goes into ethically objectionable territory, and I will never buy anything from them in any way, shape or form for as long as their hostility to open content continues.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Can you explain your thinking here a bit more? I'm trying to stay on top of these developments, in part as a very frequent user of DDB.

My brain just exploded a bit. What an incredibly awful "perfect storm" that would be.
It's almost like no one at Hasbro bothered to think of the impacts of this, or the optics of how this is going to look like. I see a lot of bad things, not any good things from this.

Ondath

Hero
I've been away and that's a 2-hour video. Right now I have no opinion one way or the other. I'll try to catch up today.
If I may make a humble suggestion, I suggest you check the gizmodo article. The video was based on partial leaks from the full OGL v1.1 document, but Gizmodo wrote a rundown of the entire license that they got their hands on.

And if I'm understanding it correctly, it may impact all future OGC you guys might produce if they're de-authorising OGL v1.0a.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads