We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

dbolack

Adventurer
I've posted an article summarsing the current situation as best I can at present:

That status change... new?

Scribe

Legend
Does this make anyone else not want to participate in the playtest?

Oh 100%. I'm sitting here reading all this, just going.

Will Ferrell Movie GIF by filmeditor

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Even if WotC were to come out and say "we reconsidered", it feels like unless there's a court decision saying it's irrevocable or a 1.0b* that's just like 1.0a except with irrevocable, that it would be silly for anyone not to think this 1.1 wasn't right around the next management-change corner?

*Not that the new things coming up from WotC have to be under it, just that all the old stuff doesn't go away.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Even if WotC were to come out and say "we reconsidered", it feels like unless there's a court decision saying it's irrevocable or a 1.0b* that's just like 1.0a except with irrevocable, that it would be silly for anyone not to think this 1.1 wasn't right around the next management-change corner?

*Not that the new things coming up from WotC have to be under it, just that all the old stuff doesn't go away.
Yeah. Casting doubt on the perpetual viability of the OGL v1.0a that was heretofore unquestioned is already a degree of damage that won't be easily undone.

dbolack

Adventurer
I unfortunately don't believe that. The OGL was a tactical error that allowed Paizo to grow and flourish using familiar D&D IP. D&D now doesn't need the OGL and all the D20 come along games and third party stuff to be successful. I don't think D&D 5th edition took off because of the OGL.

The only tactical error that was made with the OGL, from a money-grubbing perspective, was not binding it to the D20 STL. This would have prevented Pathfinder but allowed most everything else.

Similarly Chaosium would be better off having published Delta Green as a branch of Call of Cthulhu, and not allowed it to go off and make someone else successful while being hard to distinguish system and background wise from CoC.

I'm not sure what you're going for here.

Remove ads