We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

Ondath

Hero
The third line looks like absolutely nonsense, but some people vouched for the duo on the Pathfinder subreddit saying one of them was a PF2 designer and that they know people in WotC.

Perhaps they're paraphrasing the intent behind what was leaked to them in an extremely informal tone? The conditions seem extremely limited, but @pemerton was saying that theoretically WotC could stop offering OGL v1.0a, so perhaps the leaks could have some truth behind them?

If this is the case, though, it's going to burn a lot of bridges. I can't imagine the OSR community (or even Evil Hat Productions, who use a modified version of OGL v1.0a for their SRD) being too happy about suddenly losing the right to publish new content. I feel like this would be one bridge burnt too far.

Last edited:

JThursby

Adventurer
I would find it extremely strange for two industry veterans to burn their reputation on clickbait, so I doubt they're trolling for views. For whatever reason, they're putting a lot of faith in their source. Time will tell if that faith is warranted or not. The claims are...exceptional, to put it lightly.

Would it be too much to ask Morrus to chime in? EN Publishing has worked with these guys before, and might have some insight on the potential validity of the claims.

mamba

Legend
The third line looks like absolutely nonsense
the whole excerpt does
Perhaps they're paraphrasing the intent behind what was leaked to them in an extremely informal tone? The conditions seem extremely limited, but @pemerton was saying that theoretically WotC could stop offering OGL v1.0a, so perhaps the leaks could have some truth behind them?
they can stop making the SRD available for download, but that does not mean anything since you can still find it in plenty of places.
The license cannot be revoked.

Ondath

Hero
they can stop making the SRD available for download, but that does not mean anything since you can still find it in plenty of places.
The license cannot be revoked.
What I understood from pemerton's inference in the other thread was that while OGL v1.0a is irrevocable for those who took up the offer so far (i.e., people who published content using it), since the OGL is essentially a contract WotC can stop making the offer for OGL v1.0a for any future licensees. If this is true (though IANAL so my understanding is potentially very wrong), upon forcefully updating the OGL to v1.1, the only people who could use v1.0a would be those who already published content with it. So Necrotic Gnome and other existing OSR publishers could keep using it for their own game, but a new publishing company could not publish a new OSR title using OGL v1.0a.

Ondath

Hero
If WotC were to stop offering the OGL, you could just enter into the licensing agreement through some other publisher that had previously done so.
Does this mean I'd have to, say, get them to publish my OGL v1.0a work, or can I just create derivative content of their work and use their OGL license to publish it myself? Say, Pathfinder 2E has Bulk Inventory rules that are different from the weight-based rules in SRD 5.1, and the Bulk Inventory rules are a part of Paizo's Open Gaming Content. Could I publish my own modified Bulk rules using OGL v1.0a just by slapping Paizo's OGL license notice, or do I have to go through them now that (so it is claimed) WotC will stop offering OGL v1.0a?

What I'm trying to understand is if WotC can ever legally put the genie back in the bottle regarding the use of D&D's core rules for developing your own game systems (which is how we got Pathfinder and all retroclones and Nu-OSR games, which is an ecosystem I'd like to see thrive).

mamba

Legend
Am I to believe that the above text was written by WotC? With that informal tone? Color me extremely skeptical.
Could also be a summary of the changes, certainly does not read like a legal license agreement would.
Right now I do not trust this at all, but if it were true, we are basically back in GSL 2.0 territory, forget about the misleading name.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
The third line looks like absolutely nonsense, but some people vouched for the duo on the Pathfinder subreddit saying one of them was a PF2 designer and that they know people in WotC.
I was going to bring that up here, too. Mark Seifter worked at Paizo since 2014 until about a year ago when he left for Roll for Combat's Battlezoo line. So I'm having a hard time believing that he'd injure his own professional reputation by putting out fake news for clicks.

Last edited:

Remove ads