We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

There is a note to be made here.

The original plan was to release the license yesterday. It seems they have not. I hope that means they are rethinking some of this. If it’s true.

Hmmh... mayby Crawford himself leaked the info.... and now he is telling the Hasbro bosses: "told you so"...

I gotta say, that's something that's never been in evidence to me! People complained that they wanted all restaurants to be Taco Bell, people complained when they released 3.5 that it tanked all the d20 System products, the retroclone publishers (and fans) generally took a "haha suck it, WotC" attitude to the whole thing, people howled about the GSL, people cheered and mocked when Paizo used the OGL to release Pathfinder and eventually surpassed D&D in market share, people complained about the SRD 5's limited content...

In my experience, some people lionized Ryan Dancey et al, but the corporation never received any "goodwill" from the OGL. It became, if anything, a source of entitlement that generated an unending stream of PR headaches for twenty years.

And just to be clear, fork the corporation. But I wouldn't expect anyone wearing a suit at WotC or Hasbro to give two shirts about any supposed goodwill.

I guess my impression is different. I am not saying they were never criticized. I remember all those things as well (especially the anger when 3.5 was announced) but I would point out that part of the issue with 4E was the license change (obviously disagreements over the system mattered a lot too). But I do remember people being glad that WOTC had effectively saved D&D. I remember those last few years of TSR and they were not pleasant. When they went under it really looked like we wouldn't have D&D anymore. And WOTC not only issued the OGL, but brought back things people liked about the game that they had been missing (initially there was a back to the dungeon attitude, the return of half orcs, etc). Not saying it has all been roses. But I think a lot of people who have been critical of WOTC, and I include myself there, have appreciated the OGL and their role in it (and I would say it has definitely moderated my opinion about them quite a bit).

Random Task

Explorer
Edit: Jump to We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions! for a link to a Gizmodo article backing them up.
------

Here's what they (apparently) posted on Reddit. Haphazardly time-skipping through the video showed me no reason to give them clicks. (Please correct if I missed something - like, by giving a timestamp to go to).

View attachment 271280
That last paragraph about being receiving bad PR and community pushback clearly shows this isn't legitimate.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I’d quote the Good Place but that might be seen as trying to avoid the profanity ban. If ever there was a time for profanity, it’s now.

Whatever tiny sliver of hope there was this was a troll is basically gone. I can believe WotC is this short-sighted, greedy, and stupid. I can’t believe people are still defending and cheerleading WotC.

Critical Role is going to be hard to watch. They’re already borderline for this long-time fan with their endless stream of merch and ads. I guess we’ll see where they really are, morally, when this is all official. Here’s to hoping people get together and mke a legally distinct but close enough version of D&D and CR switches to that.

Ugh. Just ugh.

Art Waring

halozix.com
Critical Role is going to be hard to watch. They’re already borderline for this long-time fan with their endless stream of merch and ads. I guess we’ll see where they really are, morally when this is all official. Here’s to hoping people get together and mke a legally distinct but close enough version of D&D and CR switches to that.
You never know though, CR could (hopefully) do something positive based on the worsening perception of the 1.1 OGL, they haven't made a statement yet. More than anyone else, CR is in the best position to effect a change, because they don't need wotc, the have their own platforms and they draw people to d&d, not the other way around.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've posted an article summarsing the current situation as best I can at present:

mamba

Legend
In my experience, some people lionized Ryan Dancey et al, but the corporation never received any "goodwill" from the OGL. It became, if anything, a source of entitlement that generated an unending stream of PR headaches for twenty years.
I am not so sure about that, I certainly had some goodwill towards them. That is not the same as agreeing with everything they do, but certainly being more open/ forgiving

Is the opposite then also true, since there was no goodwill from it, nothing changes now either when the OGL disappears?

Remove ads