We got an official leak of One D&D OGL 1.1! Watch Our Discussion And Reactions!

I’d quote the Good Place but that might be seen as trying to avoid the profanity ban. If ever there was a time for profanity, it’s now.

Whatever tiny sliver of hope there was this was a troll is basically gone. I can believe WotC is this short-sighted, greedy, and stupid. I can’t believe people are still defending and cheerleading WotC.

Critical Role is going to be hard to watch. They’re already borderline for this long-time fan with their endless stream of merch and ads. I guess we’ll see where they really are, morally, when this is all official. Here’s to hoping people get together and mke a legally distinct but close enough version of D&D and CR switches to that.

Ugh. Just ugh.

It has been a very odd ride. When I first heard the leak, it looked legit. Then there were questions, and it seemed legitimate concerns raised, but now it appears confirmed. And doesn't look like good news.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Is there someway to work a crackdown on streamers who make big $$$ on this? (Fan policy has to be free, 1.1 doesn't cover it..)

Tazawa

Adventurer
What's particularly odd is that, according to Gizmodo, the royalty percentage is only 20% for Kickstarter, and is 25% for other crowdfunding platforms. Why is WotC trying to funnel the crowdfunding of third-party content toward Kickstarter? Because they think they can get more royalty revenue that way?

Maybe because they have an agreement with Kickstarter to not allow OGL 1.0a content? It would not surprise me if WOTC is trying to control the distribution channels.

How does this affect OneBookshelf? They have a very large amount of OGL 1.0a content available outside of DMs Guild. Will they be forced to stop selling it if they want to retain the DMs Guild license? Will the DMs Guild license get yanked and moved to DnD Beyond?

Owen's thread doesn't indicate a new source. His info could all be from the same person that the circular squad is using.

Real, credible journalism on this leak would have indicators of sourcing such that the potential sources could be differentiated.
I have other sources, who aren't going public, unrelated to Mark and Stephen. There are clear signs they are getting their info from a different source and that it corroborates (and predates) rather than duplicates what Mark and Stephen have.
To be honest, it freaks me out. I still find this fantastically difficult to think it what is, for sure, happening.
So I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything other than: this isn't a single source or a ratings stunt.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Oh god that's excitingly new and horrifying angle to this.
That's right. I was assuming that stuff already published under the OGL v1.0a would be "grandfathered in" somehow, allowing them to continue to be sold even after the OGL v1.0a was revoked...but on reviewing the Gizmodo article, there's nothing that says that. Conceivably, any existing OGL v1.0a products could be cited for using a no-longer-valid license, with WotC telling their publishers to cease selling them. In which case, PDF products would need to be yanked.

Of course, I doubt WotC would go that far...but I also doubted they'd try to kill the OGL v1.0a in the first place, and yet here we are. 😲

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
I have other sources, who aren't going public, unrelated to Mark and Stephen. There are clear signs they are getting their info from a different source and that it corroborates (and predates) rather than duplicates what Mark and Stephen have.
To be honest, it freaks me out. I still find this fantastically difficult to think it what is, for sure, happening.
So I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything other than: this isn't a single source or a ratings stunt.
More sources.

Thank you for posting.

Ondath

Hero
I think older stuff is safe? Maybe?
Since 1.0a is perpetual, I don't think they can cease the publication of old content. But I'm really confused about what will happen with new content for companies using OGL v1.0a. Does this mean Paizo can't publish a new PF2 rulebook starting one week, or does this stop from publishing a new version such as Pathfinder 3E, or a completely new game like Modernfinder?

Remove ads