We played KotS and have a couple of rules questions! (HELP???)

hectorse

Explorer
So, basically we played KotS last night and had a blast. We called it a day after A2 and players where having fun and most importantly, I THE DM WAS HAVING FUN! Something that had not happened in quite a long time with 3.5...

Anyways this is not a review, but a post in hope of some clarifications:

ABOUT HEALING
So I got 2 people to negatives yesterday thanks to my uber-tactical skills with shifting kobolds! (awesome)

-How is an incapacitated PC supposed to heal himself when down to negative hit points?
This was something of a mystery to me. It seems that any "cleric-ish" ability that says "ally can spend a healing surge" can be used to up a fallen comrade right? How about inspiring word? does it work on him? Can he use his own healing surge? or is Heal 15 the only way to up them? A little clarification here would be great!

how does paladin and cleric healing work?
For example, healing strike says, 2d8+1 radiant damage and...you or one ally within 5 squares can spend a healing surge.

Does this surge count against their daily lot? I would say yes but I don't know =\
Cleric's Healing word, Paladin's Judgment and the warlords' inspiring words and Aid the Injured are worded the same way

"you or somebody else can spend a healing surge"

Contrast this to cure light wounds and the paladin's lay on hands which read

Cure Light Wounds
The target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge

Does this count against their daily lot? I would say no

Lay on Hands
you spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. target regains healing surge.

This obviously doesn't count against the daily lot of the cured creature

Well that was all

the Jester

Legend
If it says that someone spends a healing surge, it always counts against their daily allotment. If it says someone heals "as if" they had spent a healing surge, it doesn't.

Don't think too hard about it. Just read the descriptions; they are all remarkably clear imho. :)

hectorse

Explorer
the Jester said:
If it says that someone spends a healing surge, it always counts against their daily allotment. If it says someone heals "as if" they had spent a healing surge, it doesn't.

Don't think too hard about it. Just read the descriptions; they are all remarkably clear imho. :)

LOL I know but I wasn't too sure about it...

But what about the incapacitated people?

(english not being my first language doesn't help either)

samursus

Explorer
The powers first listed use the healee's surges.

Cure Light Wounds uses NO surges

Lay on Hands uses Paladins own healing surges to heal himself or others.

Incapacitated PC cannot do anything to heal themself I believe... you need a potion of Healing or the Heal skill or another PC's healing power to stabilze him or her.

Kordeth

First Post
hectorse said:
-How is an uncapacited PC suopposed to heal himself when down to negative hit points?

By being healed by an ally. Cleric powers, paladin powers, Heal checks, etc.

This was something of a mystery to me. It seems that any "cleric-ish" ability that says "ally can spend a healing surge" can be used to up a fallen comrade right? How about inspiring word? does it work on him? Can he use his own healing surge? or is Heal 15 the only way to up them? A little clarification here would be great!

Spending a healing surge is not an action, so unconscious characters can spend healing surges when an ally's power allows them to do so. The only way a character can initiate the ability to spend a healing surge himself, however, is an action (i.e. second wind or a healing power), so you can't make yourself wake up if you're unconscious.

how does paladin and cleric healing work?
For example, healing strike says, 2d8+1 radiant damage and...you or one ally within 5 squares can spend a healing surge.

Does this surge count against their daily lot? I would say yes but I don't know =\

It works exactly like it says--you damage your enemy and your ally spends one healing surge. Spending a healing surge, of course, subtracts one from the character's daily allotment and gives him up to 1/4 his maximum hit points.

Cleric's Healing word, Paladin's Judgment and the warlords' inspiring words and Aid the Injured are worded the same way

Yes, and they all work exactly as they're written.

Contrast this to cure light wounds and the paladin's lay on hands which read

Cure Light Wounds
The target regains hit points as if it had spent a healing surge

Does this count against their daily lot? I would say no

You're correct. As if it had is not the same as "spends a healing surge."

Lay on Hands
you spend a healing surge but regain no hit points. target regains healing surge.

This obviously doesn't count against the daily lot of the cured creature

Again, correct. The paladin spends the healing surge, but the ally heals.

hectorse

Explorer
Cool thanks for the clarifications!

I just wanted to make sure because it's not everyday I have to go tip-topping into a game system without the actual book! So I am a bit more apprehensive

Dragonblade

Adventurer
The 4e designers have also confirmed that if you roll a natural 20 on your death and dying roll, you can choose to spend a healing surge if you have one. This will be explained in the actual PHB even though it seems to have been omitted from the quick start rules.

Ryngard

Explorer
If you pass your Death & Dying save, do you continue each round until you get healing or fail three? Or does that "stabilize" you then?

We assumed that you continue to roll it and if you hit three fails before someone uses Heal skill or a Healing power, you die.

Is that right?

Ryngard said:
If you pass your Death & Dying save, do you continue each round until you get healing or fail three? Or does that "stabilize" you then?

We assumed that you continue to roll it and if you hit three fails before someone uses Heal skill or a Healing power, you die.

Is that right?

So far as we understand from the rules available, yes.

-TRRW

Remove ads