D&D 5E Weak monsters that terrify you

As was recently pointed out to me by [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], gnolls.

Their Rampage abIlity (bonus action bite against a character the gnoll has reduced to 0 hp) takes away a death saving throw. Maybe two, if the DM decides the gnoll gets an automatic crit for biting a downed character.

Last edited:

Mephista

Adventurer
Kobalds. Never underestimate the trap masters. No matter how high level you get, a smart group of kobalds can take on your entire party with the right traps.

S'mon

Legend
As was recently pointed out to me by [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], gnolls.

Their Rampage abIlity (bonus action bite against a character the gnoll has reduced to 0 hp) takes away a death saving throw. Maybe two, if the DM decides the gnoll gets an automatic crit for biting a downed character.

It doesn't have to bite the fallen character. It's just an extra attack. Gnolls are weaker
than lizardmen - also CR 1/2. get 2 attacks every round.

My own experience is definitely that Shadows are very nasty, can easily cripple STR-based
PCs and kill low-STR ones.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Kobra and the Lotus said:
Here comes the war horse
Built to Destroy you
Here comes the war horse
Burn in hell!
Here comes the war horse
We will destroy you
Here comes the war horse
Burn in hell!

Galloping malice, a thunder of fear
Brought by a steed of demise
Capturing, torturing, sucking them in
With gifts of corruption and lies

Show no mercy, Hear them cry
As they suffer, They will die

Appropriate lyrics for the terror that is a warhorse...

It doesn't have to bite the fallen character. It's just an extra attack. .
Sure. But the focus there was the loss of death saving throws, not the manner of delivery of the bonus action attack.

Cinematically, I'm envisioning a gnoll having dropped a character. The gnoll then leans over and rips out the character's throat (bite), leaving the victim to bleed out in short order. Gave me a shudder.

Remove ads